Fitbit Aria Scale... help!

nablackb
nablackb Posts: 28 Member
I've already got a Fitbit Flex and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on the Aria scale from fitbit. It's a lot of money to drop on a scale so I was hoping anyone could give me their feedback on how it's worked for you. I'm skeptical of how accurate the readings are so honest feedback is much appreciated!

Thanks!!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    The body fat percentage is useless—it sends a pulse up one leg and down the other, then guesstimates your upper body.

But I love never having to log my weight. I weigh daily & sync it with Trendweight.com (it's free) to see my weight without the "noise" of water weight. And unlike MFP's "in five weeks" nonsense, Trendweight accurately told me when I'd reach goal. I don't know if I'd've maintained so easily without MFP + Fitbit + TW.

And Aria comes in black.
  • swirlybee
    swirlybee Posts: 497 Member
    I've had mine since December and I love it. While the body fat isn't accurate, it's at least consistent so I can reasonably track the trend. I also use trendweight.com.
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    My brother has one, and from what I've noticed him posting, I agree with others that the bf portion of it is useless. His bf can jump anywhere from 1 to 5 percent per day... which is ridiculously inaccurate. I am purchasing something called Skulpt (it's about $200) but it is within 1% accurate of having yourself hydrostatically weighed, which is the most accurate form of bf measurement. I actually got mine in, but it's defective and I have to return it for a replacement... I was kind of bummed about it after the money I spent and the time I waited for it, but it will be worth it and a great tool for tracking when I get the new one :)
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    edited July 2015
    I have one. I find the % completely useless.
  • SusanKing1981
    SusanKing1981 Posts: 257 Member
    Love it, I ignore the body fat % though as it varies so much. For instance, the week after my period I tend to drop weight quite quickly, about 4lb in a week, but my body fat always goes up by a few %. I love how it syncs automatically.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    My MIL bought one last week, and returned it a week later, as after the initial weigh in, the scale would just error and never worked again. Seems a lot of people are having that issue.

Apart from that issue, I doubt the BF% on any scale is accurate considering your water weight plays a big part. Unless you're so lazy that you can't be bothered logging your weight manually, I'd just spend less money and get a regular scale.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    edited July 2015
    I had one for about 18 months until, like every Fitbit device I've owned (the scale and probably 6 or 8 different trackers) it developed problems after a relatively short life. In this case the scale decided it didn't want to connect to my network anymore. I replaced it with a Withings WS-50 and I like it much better.

The weight is fine, but like all of these kinds of devices the body fat readings should be taken with a rather sizable chunk of salt. All they are doing is passing a small electrical current through your feet and measuring impedance of your body. Besides the fact that the current is only going to pass through your legs and hips, never your torso, there's a ton of other factors that will affect this reading including, but not limited to, hydration status and how damp or dry your feet are when you step on the scale.

IMHO, the only reason to buy one of these scales is to have it log automatically for you. As someone who has enough crap to log in various places already, I appreciate the automation and the "I don't have to worry about it" factor.