Need help from fellow Vegetarians!!!

Options

Replies

• VeggieLyfe
    VeggieLyfe Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the meal ideas!!!!!! I'm going to look at the site also too. I'm up for trying g new things!
  • jeneticir
    jeneticir Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    VeggieLyfe wrote: »
    Thank you for the meal ideas!!!!!! I'm going to look at the site also too. I'm up for trying g new things!

Hope you like it! That website is really awesome. The same chef also authored my favorite cookbook ever, "Isa Does It."

• fullylugged
    fullylugged Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My go to snack is a 100 cal bag of Pop Secret. Bruschettas are great too. Mushroom, tomato and cannellini beans are good choices on toasted baguette slices or thin bagel chips. Homemade chocolate chunk bars (mine are 140 cals each) are filling. I use them on long bike rides instead of gels.
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I was vegan for 11 years. Now I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I have been a vegetarian since 1995. To me, asking what to eat that is vegetarian seems such an odd thing because humans eat only a handful of animals (cows, chickens, turkey, fish, pigs, shellfish, muscles, and I suppose the occasional rabbit, frog, monkey, grasshopper) but the vegetarian foods we eat are an almost infinite list (everything else, basically).

I think even on a vegan diet, enough protein isn't hard to get. I think it does get more complicated if you are weightlifting and trying to build LBM (1g of protein per lb of LBM), but even then it's doable.

anyways, I like things like pad thai, rad na, broccoli and tofu in garlic sauce, bean soft tacos, nachos, fried rice, veggie burgers, soy yogurts, egg sammiches, smoothies (lots and lots of smoothies with protein powder!), burritos, indian food (saag! saag! channa masala! Bombay curry!), corn on the cob, steamed veggies, salads (lots and lots of salads!)....

• LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I eat about 90% vegetarian, so feel free to look at my diary. You will end up higher in carbs, there's no way around that. I use protein shakes/bars, eggs, string cheese, greek yogurt, etc. for my protein needs!

One of my favorite simple vegetarian dinners is lentils with veggies! You can get brown lentils that are about 80 calories per serving (I typically do two servings) and they have a lot of protein. I boil the lentils and then add in sauteed squash and onions - or even easier, frozen broccoli prepared in the microwave. Top with a little butter and seasonings and it's amazing.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Hmm I still don't get why going vegetarian if it's gonna be a short while thing, in that case just add a lot of veggies,nuts and stuff, I was a vegetarian for 13 years,now vegan for 2, it has little to do with weight and stuff, you gotta work that butt to get in shape,also mind what you eat.

:3
    low carb xD not gonna happen unless you eat only eggs

I never said low carb. I just want to go over my daily carbs that mfp gives me the way I've been doing. I love the decision I've made and I feel better already. I'm excited to try new things and if it works out, great for me! Thanks for the support :)

Oh ok,I'm sorry if i misunderstood, well if you feel awesome then by all means continue with it.
  • VeggieLyfe
    Options
    What about for potassium? I'm running low even though I'm eating sweet potatoes, drinking orange juice, and massive amounts of beans!
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options
    What about for potassium? I'm running low even though I'm eating sweet potatoes, drinking orange juice, and massive amounts of beans!

Look up some of the quantities yourself. Potassium usually is not in the nutritional info-you are most likely getting plenty, it's just not listed in the database
  • VeggieLyfe
    Options
    Okay thank you!
  • wphetz
    wphetz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    UGG all you people whining that Vegetarians don't get enough protein/vitamins/etc, and are all carb loaders? Where the hell do you get this bullcrap info? Also, VEGAN's are the ones who don't consume any animal products (honey, dairy, eggs, etc) 'lacto-ovo vegetarian' is such an old term for just a plain-old vegetarian (before they had a word for vegans). Vegetarians (without a prefix) are just plant-based diets and have restrictions on meat itself, not on animal byproducts. Honestly, unless you have a deficiency or illness that restricts your body from getting vitamins from foods, (Anemia, calcium deficiency, etc) you can get every vitamin you need from a plant based diet. No need for supplements or meats. I wont get on the rant about how eggs and dairy are horrible for you. That's a whole other can of worms.
    Eating Vegetarian is SIMPLE. DONT EAT MEAT.
    I eat 99% vegetarian. (Technically I'm Pescatarian due to low iron levels that require me to eat some fish occasionally).
    Feel free to look at my Food Diary. You don't need to carb load to be full. You don't need to eat Salad all the time. (but they are delicious)
    There are Billions of recipes out there to work with. Yummly.com is very helpful for people with restricted diets and can show results catered to your diet choices.
    Cassey Ho (Blogilates) has awesome recipes on her youtube channel. Go check her out.
    I've been a veg-head for years and can tell you it is all about being creative and open to new flavors and cooking methods.
    If there is something you cant live without (pizza, mac and cheese, tacos, chinese food?) I GUARENTEE you that you can find a low-calorie/low carb option that is not only meat free but MUCH healthier for you.
    I recently discovered an AMAZING substitute for my pasta cravings.- Spaghetti Squash. 5 cups of this stuff from Half a squash is one HUGE plate of angel-hair like 'pasta'. throw a little organic marinara sauce on there, and WHALA! A massive, filling meal, only 397 calories. (5 cups of normal pasta noodles would be 1105 calories... that's without the sauce too). Did your jaw just hit the floor? Mine did.
    Like Mac and cheese? Look up Miracle Noodle. a whole bag of that stuff, and a kick-butt recipe to make it ooy-gooey-cheesey, 88 Calories/serving. (it makes 2, but who are we kidding, I'd Eat the whole batch.) Regular Annie's Organic boxed mac n cheese, 700 Calories. (makes 1 bowl. and I know you'd eat the whole bowl. I do)
    Look up how to make cauliflower pizza crust. LIFESAVER.
    Gardein does amazing things with 'meat look-a-likes'. Mandarin Orange chik'n with some whole grain rice and steamed veggies. Boom. Chinese food. And if you like Spring rolls, I have a guilt-free recipe for those too.
    Morningstar and Boca have delicious burgers. all less than 180 Cal.
    Like Fries? grab a sweet potato or squash and roast em up!
    Tofu tacos are a MUST in my dinner selection. Super filling and less than 600 cal.
    Even my super picky meat-eating boyfriend likes these dishes. (So you know they're good!)
    Come at me, veggie-skeptics. I got recipes for my recipes. And a kitchen full of delicious ideas.

I'm More than willing to help, just send me a message. (And friend me if you like.) :smiley:
    -Lisa
  • wphetz
    wphetz Posts: 2 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Good Luck!
  • epfahl
    epfahl Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    UGG all you people whining that Vegetarians don't get enough protein/vitamins/etc, and are all carb loaders? Where the hell do you get this bullcrap info? Also, VEGAN's are the ones who don't consume any animal products (honey, dairy, eggs, etc) 'lacto-ovo vegetarian' is such an old term for just a plain-old vegetarian (before they had a word for vegans). Vegetarians (without a prefix) are just plant-based diets and have restrictions on meat itself, not on animal byproducts. Honestly, unless you have a deficiency or illness that restricts your body from getting vitamins from foods, (Anemia, calcium deficiency, etc) you can get every vitamin you need from a plant based diet. No need for supplements or meats. I wont get on the rant about how eggs and dairy are horrible for you. That's a whole other can of worms.
    I eat 99% vegetarian. (Technically I'm Pescatarian due to low iron levels that require me to eat some fish occasionally).
    Feel free to look at my Food Diary. You don't need to carb load to be full. You don't need to eat Salad all the time. (but they are delicious)
    There are Billions of recipes out there to work with. Yummly.com is very helpful for people with restricted diets and can show results catered to your diet choices.
    Cassey Ho (Blogilates) has awesome recipes on her youtube channel. Go check her out.
    I've been a veg-head for years and can tell you it is all about being creative and open to new flavors and cooking methods.
    If there is something you cant live without (pizza, mac and cheese, tacos, chinese food?) I GUARENTEE you that you can find a low-calorie/low carb option that is not only meat free but MUCH healthier for you.
    I recently discovered an AMAZING substitute for my pasta cravings.- Spaghetti Squash. 5 cups of this stuff from Half a squash is one HUGE plate of angel-hair like 'pasta'. throw a little organic marinara sauce on there, and WHALA! A massive, filling meal, only 397 calories. (5 cups of normal pasta noodles would be 1105 calories... that's without the sauce too). Did your jaw just hit the floor? Mine did.
    Like Mac and cheese? Look up Miracle Noodle. a whole bag of that stuff, and a kick-butt recipe to make it ooy-gooey-cheesey, 88 Calories/serving. (it makes 2, but who are we kidding, I'd Eat the whole batch.) Regular Annie's Organic boxed mac n cheese, 700 Calories. (makes 1 bowl. and I know you'd eat the whole bowl. I do)
    Gardein does amazing things with 'meat look-a-likes'. Mandarin Orange chik'n with some whole grain rice and steamed veggies. Boom. Chinese food. And if you like Spring rolls, I have a guilt-free recipe for those too.
    Tofu tacos are a MUST in my dinner selection. Super filling and less than 600 cal.
    Even my super picky meat-eating boyfriend likes these dishes. (So you know they're good!)
    Come at me, veggie-skeptics. I got recipes for my recipes. And a kitchen full of delicious ideas.

I'm More than willing to help, just send me a message. (And friend me if you like.) :smiley:
    -Lisa
  • fullylugged
    fullylugged Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Bananas are a good source of potassium. I have one as a mid ride snack when cycling for that reason, as well as the nice long burn energy it provides. Protein comes from lots of plants. Soy (Tofu, tempeh, etc) and a number of various beans are high in it. Cows get all that muscle people love to BBQ from eating grass you know. Or corn on a factory farm.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I was vegan for 11 years. Now I'm a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I have been a vegetarian since 1995. To me, asking what to eat that is vegetarian seems such an odd thing because humans eat only a handful of animals (cows, chickens, turkey, fish, pigs, shellfish, muscles, and I suppose the occasional rabbit, frog, monkey, grasshopper) but the vegetarian foods we eat are an almost infinite list (everything else, basically).

I think even on a vegan diet, enough protein isn't hard to get. I think it does get more complicated if you are weightlifting and trying to build LBM (1g of protein per lb of LBM), but even then it's doable.

anyways, I like things like pad thai, rad na, broccoli and tofu in garlic sauce, bean soft tacos, nachos, fried rice, veggie burgers, soy yogurts, egg sammiches, smoothies (lots and lots of smoothies with protein powder!), burritos, indian food (saag! saag! channa masala! Bombay curry!), corn on the cob, steamed veggies, salads (lots and lots of salads!)....

I don't think you really get why people ask what to eat as a vegetarian. People who are only just going vegetarian have been omnivores their whole lives. Almost all main meals have some kind of meat. It's nothing to do with the fact that we only eat a handful of animals, it's to do with how - culturally - a lot of foods, recipes, meals... contain meat. New vegetarians ask that because they want alternatives to 'meat and two veg' that isn't just... veg.
    wphetz wrote: »
    UGG all you people whining that Vegetarians don't get enough protein/vitamins/etc, and are all carb loaders? Where the hell do you get this bullcrap info?

Most of the people answering saying those things were vegetarians, actually. I don't think anyone said that vegetarians don't get enough protein/vitamins. They said that it is harder to do so as a vegetarian, which is true. You have to plan your meals more carefully.
    And FYI, I don't think I would like any of those recipes ;) (just teasing)
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Options

I don't think you really get why people ask what to eat as a vegetarian. People who are only just going vegetarian have been omnivores their whole lives. Almost all main meals have some kind of meat. It's nothing to do with the fact that we only eat a handful of animals, it's to do with how - culturally - a lot of foods, recipes, meals... contain meat. New vegetarians ask that because they want alternatives to 'meat and two veg' that isn't just... veg.
    UGG all you people whining that Vegetarians don't get enough protein/vitamins/etc, and are all carb loaders? Where the hell do you get this bullcrap info?

Most of the people answering saying those things were vegetarians, actually. I don't think anyone said that vegetarians don't get enough protein/vitamins. They said that it is harder to do so as a vegetarian, which is true. You have to plan your meals more carefully.
    And FYI, I don't think I would like any of those recipes ;)

+1 to all of this
  • audih12
    audih12 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian here......any good recipe ideas?

*positive friend add too......
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    jeneticir wrote: »

Hope you like it! That website is really awesome. The same chef also authored my favorite cookbook ever, "Isa Does It."

Just wanted to add that that same chef also wrote one of my fave cookbooks - Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World! Seriously, you'll never want a non-vegan cupcake again as long as you live.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options

-Lisa

I loved this reply here.
    and yeah,we vegans don't eat that but we still get ok nutrition xD I loved your recipes,well I'd like to try some, maybe some modified, How do you make tofu tacos? :wink:
  • cajune57
    cajune57 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think the easiest way for you, being a new vegetarian, would be to go to the library (yes, a real old fashioned one with books!) and get a couple of good, basic vegetarian cookbooks. Try to find one that looks like it incorporates a wide range of foods and things that you like.

I have an old book called The Meatless Gourmet with recipes from all over the world, it's a favourite. Lately I've been making a lot of recipes from The New Moosewood Cookbook. (Also available used online from Amazon for about $3.)
    Then keep an eye on your levels of protein, carbs, vitamins etc on MFP, you can change them in Settings to see different options. That keeps me aware of what I'm getting enough of, too much of etc.

One of the things I like in making up these recipes is that you'll have enough for days (or the freezer)............takes a little time up front but saves you time in the long run.

Finally, once you have recipes you like, you can put the ingredients into a nutrition counting program, get results and add them as My Foods in MFP so it is easy to add them to daily meals without having to count individual ingredients beyond the initial time of setting it up.

Good luck and congrats on choosing a healthy lifestyle! :)