Coffee

Options

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    adreal wrote: »
    I have been using Cardio Igniter and use that for a boost before I work out. Geting up at 5 am to work out I need something to get me moving. So I wanted to try something different other than the Igniter stuff. I think I am going to have to sweeten it. I just can't do it. I just don't want to throw up on a run either :) Does anyone use any kind of prework out now?

I use C4 pwo. It's pretty explosive

ayy
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    br3adman wrote: »
    You need something cold in the morning to boost your metabolism it takes calories to bring cold water up to your body temp. I guess in your case add splenda it taste like sugar to me.

Put.down.the.crack.pipe.please.

savage :D
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Have you tried different kinds of coffee? Maybe you could try some flavored coffee or a milder blend?
  • adreal
    adreal Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Cold over Hot I have never been able to tell the difference. I drank cold water with my Cardio Igniter and have drank coffee and have gotten the same results. I am not worried about 50 calories or less. I can burn that sitting down. Hot stuff makes it difficult to get out and run at 80 degrees with 95% humity at 5 am but it is doable. I just have to work around taste and things.
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I used to like a little coffee with my cream and sugar, but eventually I got tired of measuring and weighing my add ins before I could drink my coffee, and I didn't like the taste of "just barely" sweetened coffee (1 serving of sugar), so I gave up and switched to black.

and I'm going to second the "be done drinking it 35-45 minutes before starting your workout" suggestion.
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have found that if I consume too much caffeine before running, I get sick to my stomach. During long runs, this can mean death!! Not death in the sense that I will actually die, but if I am running for many hours, I will want to die or be forced to DNF. B)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I have been using Cardio Igniter and use that for a boost before I work out. Geting up at 5 am to work out I need something to get me moving. So I wanted to try something different other than the Igniter stuff. I think I am going to have to sweeten it. I just can't do it. I just don't want to throw up on a run either :) Does anyone use any kind of prework out now?

I add Truvia to my coffee and two tablespoons of creamer. Doesn't add many calories.

The pre-workout I use is called Game Day by MAN Sports. It doesn't have Beta-Alanine, so there's no itch to it.
  • adreal
    Options
    Have you tried different kinds of coffee? Maybe you could try some flavored coffee or a milder blend?

I have tried instant and a mild breakfast blend. I just have to find something that will wake me up :)

Yall are an absolute trip on this post! Thank you for being fun.

• adreal
    Options

What is this?

• sofaking6
    edited July 2015
    Options

I have tried instant and a mild breakfast blend. I just have to find something that will wake me up :)

Yall are an absolute trip on this post! Thank you for being fun.

Go to Trader Joe's if you're near one, they have loads of different kinds.

http://www.traderjoes.com/digin/post/coffee-character-field-guide

ETA: What I'm really saying is that the quality, roast and flavor of the coffee can make a very big difference.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

What is this?

C4 is a brand of pre workout.

It's pretty much got stimulants in it for that quick burst of energy.

The main ones are caffeine and beta-alanine. I'm pretty bad at explaining things so you're probably better off googling how they work :|
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You need something cold in the morning to boost your metabolism it takes calories to bring cold water up to your body temp. I guess in your case add splenda it taste like sugar to me.

I've seen you post this so many times on the forums... where's the study backing this claim up? lol.

It's common sense aka Physics 101.

After a grueling work out, you drink a liter
    (1kg) of cold water (0 C). How many
    Calories does it take for your body to raise
    the water up to body temperature of 37 C?
    (Specific Heat of water is 1 calorie/gram C)
    1) 37 2) 370 3) 3,700 4) 37,000
    1 liter = 1,000 grams of H20
    1000 g x 1 calorie/(gram degree) x (37 degree) = 37,000 calories
    37,000 calories = 37 Calories!

How does burning 37 calories boost one's metabolism? How do you define "boosting metabolism"?
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Why drink coffee before a workout if you don't like it? You don't gain anything from it in a training session.

Caffeine has been shown to give a slight boost prior to a competition, there is no benefit to that slight boost when training.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    Options

I've seen you post this so many times on the forums... where's the study backing this claim up? lol.

That's IF your body is specifically working to heat the water. But most reactions in the body are exothermic (hence the reason we're "warm blooded") our basic metabolic reactions produce heat (cellular respiration which makes ATP) and the water will be heated by the heat expelled during those reactions. If you want to use cold to "increase your metabolism" go sit in a walk in freezer or dunk yourself in an ice bath. Then your body will do work to heat itself back to the appropriate temperature (like shivering).
  • IsaackGMOON
    edited July 2015
    Options
    pzarnosky wrote: »

That's IF your body is specifically working to heat the water. But most reactions in the body are exothermic (hence the reason we're "warm blooded") our basic metabolic reactions produce heat (cellular respiration which makes ATP) and the water will be heated by the heat expelled during those reactions. If you want to use cold to "increase your metabolism" go sit in a walk in freezer or dunk yourself in an ice bath. Then your body will do work to heat itself back to the appropriate temperature (like shivering).

Brb gonna sit in my freezer for a bit

gotta burn dem calories lol
  • sofaking6
    Options

Any second now there should be a thread about how many calories you burn by sitting in the sauna.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

Any second now there should be a thread about how many calories you burn by sitting in the sauna.

Lol no lie I saw a guy in my gyms sauna in one of those sweat outfits

guess he was burning all dem calories ryt???
  • sofaking6
    Options

If you're sweating, you're definitely exercising.
  • IsaackGMOON
    Options

OH SNAP! I just had a great idea, dip your body into hot ice - it's hot so ur body gotta cool u down and its cold so ur body gotta warm u up = 200% more calories burned

im a geeneyus
  • SBRRepeat
    SBRRepeat Posts: 384 Member
    Options

OH SNAP! I just had a great idea, dip your body into hot ice - it's hot so ur body gotta cool u down and its cold so ur body gotta warm u up = 200% more calories burned

im a geeneyus

ios1sclbg1nj.jpg
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

I'd question that as just the natural heat dissipation would heat up the water. Hold a sip of cold water in your mouth, and you notice it heat up. You could probably do an experiment and measure the temp of the water in your mouth for 10secs, 30secs, 60secs and I bet it would be body temperature. I don't think this is requiring any calorie expenditure. If that was the case Americans would be thin because we prefer cold beverages unlike the rest of the world which generally chooses hot beverage.