Couple has been sentenced to prison after dogs they were breeding attacked a runner

Options
I'm actually surprised that this doesn't happen more often, based upon the number of dogs that have chased me while out running over the years.

People with dogs: control your little darlings, or else you may end up being responsible for killing someone, sentenced to prison, and have your pets euthanized

http://runhaven.com/?p=17838

Replies

• jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I carry pepper spray because we have a dog in our neighborhood who tried to attack me and my 25 lb Shih-Tzu while on a walk. The first time it happened, I called animal control and it turned out the owner was there and apparently had no clue the dog was outside (despite the vicious barking and growling). The sad thing is that it's not the dog's fault but it's the dog who will end up pepper sprayed or possibly shot. If they are picked up by animal control, it's likely going to be euthanasia. Other possibilities include getting hit by cars driving by. Either way, the dog should have either been in a fence or at home with its family, happier and certainly healthier.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    You are right, owners need to be responsible. Dogs are animals and there is instinctual behavior that can come out. It is not the dogs fault if the owner is negligent or mistreats the animal who then becomes aggressive or vicious.

Even the sweetest animal can turn under the right circumstances. Protecting territory, family, etc.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I have considered carrying pepper spray simply because I live in an area where a lot of people take their dogs out on the trails without a leash, since their dogs are so well trained and all you know. Every encounter has been friendly, but it only takes one bad encounter to make one wish they were better prepared. It is hard to assume when coming up on a person walking with two or three dogs on no leash that they have their dogs in perfect control.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    My most recent scary encounter was when I was running through my neighborhood a few blocks over from my house, and a guy was with two young children, one of whom was walking a large German Shepherd. The kid was only about 10, and when I ran past, the dog lunged and jerked the leash from the kid's hands, as the dog was bigger than the kid. Great parenting, great pet ownership.

So an enjoyable run on a spring day turned into a terrifying sprint, with a snarling 80lb dog behind me, with my mind racing on whether I should try to run to a nearby tree, run to someone's house and bust through the front door (if it was locked, otherwise just a general trespassing would do), or turn around and try to kick or otherwise hurt the dog. Luckily the guy started yelling and ran over to the dog, who eventually listened to him. I regret to say that I cursed him out pretty good using language that should not have been heard by his kids, but adrenaline makes you do unfortunate things!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    consider yourself lucky it's only dogs you have to worry about....
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    consider yourself lucky it's only dogs you have to worry about....

I do some downtown running at lunch once in awhile, that has its moments too :o
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    It's 100% the dogs fault that the runner triggered INSTINCTUAL behavior, and then didn't know how to properly react to it.

It's a sad failing that the animals were already previously identified as dangerous, but apparently nothing or not enough was done to prevent further incidents.

So many ways this could have been avoided ...
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    The only wild animals around here giving me any real concern are coyotes, but they would rather leave people alone and have plenty of other prey to feed on. Domesticated dogs are a whole different story. I do own three dogs myself, so it's not like I have anything at all against anyone's dogs. I love dogs. Maybe that's why all my encounters have been friendly, but I like to think they're all just good dogs. It just takes one dog getting territorial and all bets are off.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I have considered carrying pepper spray simply because I live in an area where a lot of people take their dogs out on the trails without a leash, since their dogs are so well trained and all you know. Every encounter has been friendly, but it only takes one bad encounter to make one wish they were better prepared. It is hard to assume when coming up on a person walking with two or three dogs on no leash that they have their dogs in perfect control.

It really, really, really angers me when people unleash their dogs once on a trail. I have had two very close encounters with dogs in the woods.

I always stop, face the animal, and yell "NO" at them. I have the necessary permits and am always armed, I would hate to put down a dog to defend myself.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Weird, I've never had an issue with a single dog in 12 years (...on and off...) of running.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I never walk my dog without his leash. He see's someone running and wants to run too. Unfortunately because he is a bull terrier, he looks mean. So to somebody who is not familiar with him seeing a big white dog running after them would probably give the poor thing such a fright.
    He loves to run. I run with him a lot. But never without his leash. Oh and when we're walking with the kids, I let them hold a leash and I hold another.
  • dirtyflirty30
    dirtyflirty30 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've had dogs run at me on my bike... the one that actually caught me turned out to be a very snuggly German Shepherd, but still. PLEASE, leash your pets, friends.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I've had a couple of neighborhood dogs come barking at me but most of them have been really small. Once, a larger dog was on the opposite side of the street from its home and as I went running past it came at me and tried to bite. I was able to swing out of the way and its teeth just barely grazed my hip. I screamed (like a little girl, I'm sure!) then forcefully yelled at it to go home. It thankfully took off toward its own backyard where the gate was hanging from one hinge. I went over to the front door and cussed out the owner and told her she'd better take care of the gate because the next time the dog went to bite someone it might be successful and it might be any one of the many small kids in the area. I also told her that if I saw the dog loose again I'd be calling Animal Control. The gate appears to be fixed and I haven't seen the dog since but I always check to make the gate is firmly closed before I get too close to the area.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The dogs had a history of attacking people.

The owners deserve what they got, the runner didn't.......

People who can't (or can't be bothered) training and controlling their dogs are a menace. The larger of my dogs is 125lbs and is only a danger to squirrels.......