Weird dinner recipe idea?

Options
JediMasterNaw
JediMasterNaw Posts: 124 Member
Ok, so this sounds weird but it really sounds good to me. I was thinking about making ground beef meatballs but adding cauliflower and feta (and a little onion and green pepper) to make them healthier and stretch them out. Does this sound good to anyone else or am I crazy? Will this work or will it taste terrible?

I was thinking about pairing them with some kind of cheese sauce...but those are usually high calorie. Any ideas about that?

Replies

• DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I am no culinary expert but that sounds delicious. Not sure I would expect the meatballs to stay in one solid piece, it might not bind together as well with those ingredients but I don't know for sure.
  • JediMasterNaw
    Options
    Right! I suppose I should add an egg. Thanks :)

Any thoughts on a sauce?
  • ABeautifulDistraction
    ABeautifulDistraction Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I would stick with a marinera sauce.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    maybe see if there are recipes to make your own cheese sauce with added low-calorie vegetables.
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    If you're going to use cauliflower, are you going to "rice" it first? I know cauliflower has a high water content, so I don't know if it would make your meatballs soggy.
  • mcginleywill
    mcginleywill Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    another direction might be a Thai peanut sauce or a garlic ginger sauce. Those ingrediants would work with an Asian flair.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I think it would be fine, and you may have to squeeze out excess liquid. I add 2 large zucchini to 1lb of ground meat for meatballs.
  • JediMasterNaw
    Options
    I did think of that, my plan was to put it through my food processor and then drain off any liquid. I haven't tried anything quite like this before and i'm no expert but, I really like experimenting with recipes :smile:

The asian sauces are intriguing - I hadn't thought to go that direction. Hmm, decisions decisions...

I did find a low calorie cheese sauce recipe though: http://simmerandboil.cookinglight.com/2014/11/05/how-to-make-a-healthier-cheese-sauce/
  • Queenmunchy
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I make my cheese sauce with cauliflower, haha!

Cauliflower macaroni and cheese:
    Take one chopped head of cauliflower, steam in a small amount of water until tender. Puree cauliflower, add 4oz sharp cheese, and season to taste – I use adobo OR salt/pepper/mustard powder. Freeze in ice cube trays until frozen, transfer to a labeled freezer bag. To serve, microwave as many cubes as needed and mix with cooked pasta or a mixture of cooked broccoli and pasta. This can also be used as a cheese sauce for veggies.
  • JediMasterNaw
    Options
    I've done mac&cheese with cauliflower before but I didn't think to make the actual sauce out of it! I think that because the cauliflower is going in the meatballs I probably won't make the sauce with it too, but that's a recipe I will hold on to for the future.
  • JediMasterNaw
    Options
    For a side, I'm thinking about tossing some fresh broccoli with salt, garlic, and chili powder and then roasting it.
  • JediMasterNaw
    Options
    Now i'm thinking of doing a balsamic vinegar sauce (http://www.cookthink.com/recipe/4327/Balsamic_Vinegar_Sauce) for with the meatballs. I think the sugar in this recipe will help cut down some of the intense acidity that balsamic has.
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I think the meatballs would be good in a pita with some tahini sauce!
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Ok, so this sounds weird but it really sounds good to me. I was thinking about making ground beef meatballs but adding cauliflower and feta (and a little onion and green pepper) to make them healthier and stretch them out. Does this sound good to anyone else or am I crazy? Will this work or will it taste terrible?

I was thinking about pairing them with some kind of cheese sauce...but those are usually high calorie. Any ideas about that?

you are gonna want something to bind it though because of the water content of the cauliflower.. might fall apart! I also love feta and all cheese on everything haha.
  • Queenmunchy
    Options
    I'd probably microwave steam the cauli-rice, then squeeze out the excess water with a towel.
  • amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Sounds similar to these which can be rolled smaller and baked into meatballs or as a burger--http://allrecipes.com/recipe/spinach-and-feta-turkey-burgers/

I am less into ground beef but I have another one that is ground turkey and pesto, egg white and some spinach. I actually had that for lunch today :)
  • Carrrrla
    Carrrrla Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like to steam butternut squash until soft and blend with water and toss that all over broccoli. Something in my brain says "cheese sauce!" When I see that colour. I imagine you could add a touch of cream to that now that I think about it.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Make albondigas soup with it...that way if the cauliflower makes it soggy it won't matter.

Google "albondigas".
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    If i was making meatballs, i used one onion and parsley. To make it less meaty, i would add capscium as you suggest. I've no idea how cauliflower would go. Its worth a try. You could try grated carrot and or grated zucchini too. I would not add feta cheese. That is not going to make it more healthy at least in terms of calories.