Eating right when sick...

Options
This is likely a question discussed before, but I was wondering what tips people had for eating when they are sick? Particularly sick with a cold. I have had a cold for two days now, I am alright staying under my calorie goal and did manage a bike ride yesterday. I was too worn out to go for a workout today because my snotty head kept me up all night (sorry for the overshare). I was just wondering if people thought that it would be better to eat a bit more while ill. Flu and migraines (I get hemiplegic ones, look them up!) are different for me because I lose my appetite anyways and Ill just eat what I can. Colds are different though because generally I still have to try and get a whole work day in even with the head cold and find myself so worn out while doing it.

Any opinions?

Replies

• Gska17
    Gska17 Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    Others may disagree but when I have a cold I listen to what my body wants. A can of coke, a slice of cheese, and a can of chicken soup? Sure, why not. I try to keep it reasonable but I get cravings while I'm sick.

I hope you feel better soon!
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    I personally worry less about eating than I do about resting when I'm sick.

That being said, lots of fluids. Chicken soup, rice, tea, etc.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    I keep the calorie deficit even while ill. No sickness is going to hinder my progress!
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    I eat or don't, depending on how I feel, but I make sure to drink enough even if I don't necessarily want to.
  • ManiacalLaugh
    ManiacalLaugh Posts: 1,048 Member
    Options
    This is likely a question discussed before, but I was wondering what tips people had for eating when they are sick? Particularly sick with a cold. I have had a cold for two days now, I am alright staying under my calorie goal and did manage a bike ride yesterday. I was too worn out to go for a workout today because my snotty head kept me up all night (sorry for the overshare). I was just wondering if people thought that it would be better to eat a bit more while ill. Flu and migraines (I get hemiplegic ones, look them up!) are different for me because I lose my appetite anyways and Ill just eat what I can. Colds are different though because generally I still have to try and get a whole work day in even with the head cold and find myself so worn out while doing it.

Any opinions?

I usually give myself another 100 or 200 calories. In the heat of it, I've also let myself eat maintenance for a day or two. Your body's going through a lot to kick through illness, and if you're having to go to work or watch little ones at home, that puts even more stress on the system. I still try to eat "healthy" (lots of nutrient rich foods), but I let myself have more until I feel like I've reached the turn and have started to recover.
  • meaghandyer
    meaghandyer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! Seems like I am more or less on track with most of you. And I am knocking back the water, its something I have to make sure I do to prevent my migraines anyways.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    The age ole adage is "feed a fever, starve a cold".

Personally, I maintain my nutrition plan, and allow the infinite diversity of recombination and personal choice decide if i want chicken soup today cause i want it, or cause i think i need it to help fight illness ( as an example ).

Switching from a deficit to eating at maintenance for periods has many backers in the weight loss community, and is deemed a safe an effective tool. No reason you cant do that, if you choose, to help you deal with symptoms. Its as good a reason as any.

I am not aware of any specific nutrition requirements or recommendations to add/subtract from a healthy plan, due to short term sickness. Most will tell you to add fluids to maintain proper hydration.
  • dubird
    dubird Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    When I'm sick, I tend to want to eat a lot less, no matter what the sickness is. So I mostly just eat what little my body wants me to eat, no matter what it is. Granted, that sometimes does come out to my daily goal depending on what I eat! But I also make sure to add a Boost or two during the day to get some kind of nutrition.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    I live on Thai soup / spicy Asian noodle soup when I'm sick.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    Chicken soup and carbs usually feel best for me when I'm sick.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I live on Thai soup / spicy Asian noodle soup when I'm sick.

This! I eat spicy foods when I'm stuffed up. Helps clean out the sinuses. :)

I tend to listen to my body when I am sick. Sometimes I eat, sometimes I don't. I had a bad case of strep in college and I lost 14 pounds in a week. Clearly I wasn't hungry. Haha. As soon as I was well and started eating again I gained it all right back.