Turkey Burgers or 93/7 Beef Burgers

jmac4263
jmac4263 Posts: 245 Member
Few Questions: Which do you prefer? Why?

If you have had Turkey burgers how do you dress them up? On a bun? Not on a bun?

I bought a package of Turkey ones and have never had them before!

Replies

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    IF I had turkey burgers I would fix them the same way I would ground beef burgers. I prefer the 93/7 beef; low fat and still taste good.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    A burger is a burger, whether it's beef, chicken, turkey, bison, etc. Dress it the same way you'd dress any other burger
  • jamieb55
    jamieb55 Posts: 145 Member
    I prefer beef, texture and taste is better to me!!!
  • jmac4263
    ok I just didnt know if some people put them on salads or used them differently! Thanks for the comments!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    most turkey burgers i see at the store are actually 85/15...so...93/7 would be the better option if you wanted less calories. Either way, I prefer a beef hamburger...i like my turkey to be in turkey form and really I only on turkey holidays.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    edited July 2015
    I prefer turkey. Some people will use lettuce buns or whatnot, but I also treat them like regular burgers. I like them with cheese, avocado & tomato (sometimes bacon if we have it). If you put BBQ sauce on them they taste like a McRib. I like the BBQ version with sliced pickles too.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    I buy beef, I've never tried turkey burgers. But either way, you should enjoy them in whatever way you like. :smile: I'd go for bun and lettuce... and maybe the works if it would fit my daily calories. :wink:
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    I grind my own turkey burger with some bacon. Yum!
  • jmac4263
    rybo wrote: »
    I grind my own turkey burger with some bacon. Yum!

That sounds really good !! I am just now getting into trying "new" things for me, Turkey burger was one of those, I have also recently tried turkey bacon and prefer it over pork by far!!

• Pearsquared
    Pearsquared Posts: 1,656 Member
    I prefer turkey burgers if I'm stuck inside. I season them nicely and use the griddle to cook them up. If I have an outdoor grill, though, burgers are the way to go. They stay together easier and sear nicer (in my opinion) than turkey burgers.
  • slaite1
    slaite1 Posts: 1,307 Member
    Whichever you choose just make sure you read the label. There is a false perception that turkey products are always better for you-or lower calorie-than beef products. Not always the case.

Personally, I used to like to mix turkey and beef together-and I would buy the leanest version of whichever was cheaper. Than go with a little higher fat content on the other. But I'm frugal.
  • momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    I prefer 93/7 beef. Tastes way better. Beef gets a bad wrap. Lean beef is perfectly healthy.

Tonight is burger night.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    I fell like that's asking if you prefer apples or oranges. To me, they have totally different tastes and textures. I use turkey if I want to jazz them up with flavorings like Greek turkey burgers with pieces of kalamata olives, feta and sun dried tomato. If I just want a plain old burger with the usual fixins, then I go with beef. But I usually don't use 93/7 because it's too dry. I like 85/15.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    The beef tends to tastes better, but the turkey usually costs less. Otherwise, I prepare them in the same ways.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    I always wondered why people chose turkey burgers over 93/7 beef. They are occasionally cheaper, but the flavor (IMO) is WAY inferior. Same calories and fat and usually more salt, sugar and additives since they are natively so bland.
  • Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    I prefer beef for hamburgers, usually 85/15 or 80/20.

Ground turkey is ok for meatballs, but I still prefer beef.
  • momasox
    momasox Posts: 158 Member
    slaite1 wrote: »
    Whichever you choose just make sure you read the label. There is a false perception that turkey products are always better for you-or lower calorie-than beef products. Not always the case.

Personally, I used to like to mix turkey and beef together-and I would buy the leanest version of whichever was cheaper. Than go with a little higher fat content on the other. But I'm frugal.

I totally agree. When I first read the labels on the turkey I was like "why am I eating this nasty stuff if it's almost the same as lean beef?" I found you have to get the ground turkey breast to make any big difference in the fat.
  • nmcrosier
    nmcrosier Posts: 268 Member
    I rotate eating both -- either go 93/7 turkey or grass-fed beef (which isn't too much different than grain fed, except it taste better in my opinion and I know which cow it came from...since the farm is down the road (and sometimes it's a little sad when it's one you knew))
  • jmac4263
    I guess I am just looking for some healthy variety is the whole reason for asking the question, maybe not as much which one is better.... Just like bacon I prefer Turkey now that I have tried it!! I love beef patties too dont get my wrong just looking outside my "normal diet" :)
  • bmchenry02
    bmchenry02 Posts: 233 Member
    jmac4263 wrote: »
    ok I just didnt know if some people put them on salads or used them differently! Thanks for the comments!!

I make a fiesta turkey burger that has chopped red peppers, red onion, green onions, garlic, parsley, and 2 tsp fiesta ranch from the packet (it has msg, but I can't seem to replicate it at home)….I eat them chopped up on lentils, salads, topped with tomato and avocado, and of course as a burger with cheese and ketchup/sriracha mix. so so so yummy!! http://www.onestrangeherd.com/fiesta-ranch-turkey-burger/

If I do a beef burger I prefer it to be an 80/20 mixture so it's a treat meal. I don't like the dryness of lean beef for a burger.