Surplus vs deficit

Options
Hey guys
Just wondering if someone could answer this to give me insight on the whole gaining muscle on a surplus and not gaining muscle on a deficit idea.

So let's see I only eat more and have a caloric surplus on chest, back and arm days but when it comes to leg day, I'm always on a deficit. I'm still doing progressively overload with squats and other leg exercises though. Will I not gain muscle in legs and only gain muscle in my upper body?
Thanks for any response
JP

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    you have to be in a surplus overall...not just day to day, but at the end of the week, month, etc you have to be in a surplus...it's a continuum.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    You can gain muscle in a slight deficit, studies have shown that a .7% per week loss can still gain even in elite level athletes, but I don't think the small daily fluxtuations will matter too much.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    you have to be in a surplus overall...not just day to day, but at the end of the week, month, etc you have to be in a surplus...it's a continuum.
    You can gain muscle in a slight deficit, studies have shown that a .7% per week loss can still gain even in elite level athletes, but I don't think the small daily fluxtuations will matter too much.

this...

OP - stop trying to make this harder then it is.

You have two options..

1. run a few bulk/cut cycles
    2. do a recomp...

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

this...

OP - stop trying to make this harder then it is.

You have two options..

1. run a few bulk/cut cycles
    2. do a recomp...

For the OP I would recommend bulk if that's his pic. He is certainly lean enough to take advantage of a killer p ratio.