Has anyone posted on here "cant lose weight" then bought food scale and lost?

Options
2»

Replies

• cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I was a lurker on a different site 2.5years ago and thought the food scale people were a bunch of crazies. I dug out my food scale to try and prove them wrong. That week I saw the scale move down instead of up for the first time in years. That was 48lbs ago and I've moved into maintenance a few months back. I still use my scale and will likely use it forever.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,870 Member
    Options
    I started using one and several things were very revealing. Several areas where I was packing away 4 or 5 times the calories I thought I was.

And yes, I've lost weight since I started using it.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    cavia wrote: »
    I was a lurker on a different site 2.5years ago and thought the food scale people were a bunch of crazies. I dug out my food scale to try and prove them wrong. That week I saw the scale move down instead of up for the first time in years. That was 48lbs ago and I've moved into maintenance a few months back. I still use my scale and will likely use it forever.

Great story!
  • Susueliza
    Susueliza Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Losing weight for years seemed like this horrible cruel challenge where you had to eat like a bunny to lose at all. Then started myfitnesspal and though I never posted saying I couldnt lose weight, I read a bunch of posts about scales and started using one right away. For the first time in my life I feel like I have control over this. Losing weight isnt some dark magic or complicated science. And when I have the motivation to log and weigh it is simple and straight forward. Not easy, but simple.

I just wish that logging meals I cook myself was quicker. Using tare etc all fine, but looking up all the ingredients one by one either means Ive burnt the onions or its gone cold :( and I dont usually use recipies so the recipe function isnt that useful to me. Any tips? :)

And thats not even to mention the times Ive created my own recipe/meal on the app on my ipad only to click the wrong button at the end and it all to vanish! That led to a bad loss of control with the chocolate those days!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Someone just posted a thread about this a few days ago. It was a forum lurker who had read the "if you aren't losing, buy a food scale" post over and over again. Bought one, started using it, weight started coming off again.

Thanks for referring me to people who've done this!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone for replying, all your stories and links were exactly what I was looking for.

• misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    Susueliza wrote: »
    I just wish that logging meals I cook myself was quicker. Using tare etc all fine, but looking up all the ingredients one by one either means Ive burnt the onions or its gone cold :( and I dont usually use recipies so the recipe function isnt that useful to me. Any tips? :)

And thats not even to mention the times Ive created my own recipe/meal on the app on my ipad only to click the wrong button at the end and it all to vanish! That led to a bad loss of control with the chocolate those days!

I keep a notebook and pen in the kitchen for this purpose - I write down the measurements as I go, and then enter it all later, usually after I've finished eating nom. Then you also have a hard-copy if your iPad freaks out. :)
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    That would be me a few years ago...

it's been a few years, but I remember a couple things were really throwing off my diary...one, I snack on almonds most every day...someone told me that a 1 oz serving of almonds was a good handful...so I was logging 1 ounce of almonds for my handful...turns out my handful is closer to 2 oz, so I was logging 160 calories and eating 320.

another thing was chicken...my package of chicken said 4 oz was a serving...so I figured a chicken breast must be around about 4 ounces...so I was eating a whole chicken breast and logging 120 calories for my 4 oz serving. WRONG...most chicken breasts are closer to 8 ounces raw weight...so again, I was logging 120 calories but eating 240.

there were numerous other issues just like this that effectively erased the calorie deficit I thought I had. I would also add that I never really measured my cooking oils in the beginning and just kind of eyeballed it...turns out I was using a lot more oil than I though I was when sauteing and roasting and the like.

Wow thanks for the examples. Now I see how people can easily do this.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I lost the first 25 pounds without a food scale and when my weight loss slowed way down I bought one and still use it (but my loss is still a lot slower now as I only have about 15 more to lose). It helps a lot.