Strength Training

2»

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    http://www.bodybuilding.com

But don't give up cardio completely, the impact of it alone is incredibly beneficial to building strong bones.
  • karenkasbi
    karenkasbi Posts: 216 Member
    recomp sounds good. Thanks for the info. I can take my time. I have all winter ahead of me. I will finish body beast now then check my results. If I get good results, I'll do it twice or search for new workouts. I don't want to change my clothes size and I can't eat more. I'm just surprised you tell me, I won't get the results I desire with body beast, are the before after pictures fake? What should I expect from this training?
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    edited July 2015
    karenkasbi wrote: »
    recomp sounds good. Thanks for the info. I can take my time. I have all winter ahead of me. I will finish body beast now then check my results. If I get good results, I'll do it twice or search for new workouts. I don't want to change my clothes size and I can't eat more. I'm just surprised you tell me, I won't get the results I desire with body beast, are the before after pictures fake? What should I expect from this training?

These "miracle" before and afters where people transform radically in 90 days are either faked, or they use previously in-shape people who get purposively out of shape - the body can regain muscle pretty quickly in these cases.

I'm not saying you won't get the results you desire, I'm telling you you won't do it in a month or two, it'll take longer. Especially if you're not committed to eating to gain mass. You could theoretically repeat body beast over and over as long as you are consistently upping the weights, eating right and challenging yourself. And you will get results if you do that.
  • sabrinacrandall
    sabrinacrandall Posts: 74 Member
    I have found that the Kelly Coffey-Meyer 30 minutes to fitness DVDs are very good. There are a wide variety of them for strength training, and they often have more than one routine on them (the Olympic Lifting one on the LIFT DVD is my favorite!). 30 Minutes to Fitness Lift and 30 Minutes to Fitness Strength are the ones I've used, but I feel like any of the ones by her would be good. There are also similar workouts on YouTube for free though. :)
  • karenkasbi
    okay @jimmmer I'm just gonna do Body Beast for the hell of it. I have plenty of time in the mornings. I took before pictures. I'm skinny but I look out of shape. I'm gonna measure myself when I complete the training in 2.5 months. There are so many before after pictures on instagram, people achieving results in 9 to 12 weeks especially this Kayla Itsines guides. I'm just kinda surprised to find out that all of these are faked. The girls who do Kayla Itsines are a little younger than me and also pretty thin. My body fat percentage, I measured yesterday is 20.8. With body beast, it should decrease to 16 or 14. I don't know how I'm gonna look then. Thanks for your help :smile:
  • karenkasbi
    thank you @sabrinacrandall I will keep her in mind when I finish body beast :-)
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    karenkasbi wrote: »
    okay @jimmmer I'm just gonna do Body Beast for the hell of it. I have plenty of time in the mornings. I took before pictures. I'm skinny but I look out of shape. I'm gonna measure myself when I complete the training in 2.5 months. There are so many before after pictures on instagram, people achieving results in 9 to 12 weeks especially this Kayla Itsines guides. I'm just kinda surprised to find out that all of these are faked. The girls who do Kayla Itsines are a little younger than me and also pretty thin. My body fat percentage, I measured yesterday is 20.8. With body beast, it should decrease to 16 or 14. I don't know how I'm gonna look then. Thanks for your help :smile:

I don't mean they're all faked. I mean some are fake. Some are from people who are genetic outliers. Some are from young men who are basically hormone factories and can smash on mass quickly by smashing down a bunch of food and training right. Some are from returnees to training who respond quickly, as I mentioned before. Some are on gear.

I also didn't say you won't get results from diligent training and diligent eating. Even in as little as three months you'll get some results. For radical results it's going to take longer than three months. I'm not trying to pull your wings off, I'm trying to give you realistic expectations and a roadmap to succeeding.

It's easy to see all kinds of stuff online and in magazines and assume it's straight up and legit. I'm just trying to tell you that old fashioned ideas like perseverance, dedication, patience, and staying power are the real deal. You can do what you want with the information. I wish you well in your endeavours...
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Jim gives very sound advice. Too add, muscle has memory so often people can get out of shape and then exercise again and achieve results quickly because of the muscle they previously had. I'm 46 and there was period when I had my 3 kids where I wasn't in the best of shape that I was in my teens and 20's. However, my muscle had memory and I got it back very quickly. Shaping your body is a tricky thing. You need to eat to grow muscle and often not having an appetite can mean not eating enough and frequently enough. I find when I train hard and eat frequently, then body requires more and more food.
  • karenkasbi
    hey @lulucitron I've been noticing the same thing. I started training yesterday and I just had dinner, I'm still hungry! This has never happened before and I will do anything not to gain weight! It just scares me a little bit. I'd rather take my time and train slowly over a year than bulk eat then lose etc.