Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Suggestions for Strength Training Plans if your bored with the usual lifting??

I want to gain muscle and do more strength training, but I get so bored just lifting weights at the gym. Any suggestions for new Strength Training routines for people who like different types of fitness?? (I dance and do outdoor sports for cardio).

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    These are pretty good;
    • New Rules of Lifting For Women
    • Strong Curves
    • ICF 5x5
    • Stronglifts 5x5

• cmt12345
    cmt12345 Posts: 64 Member
    Awesome, thanks so much! That Stronglifts 5x5 especially looks interesting
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Lift heavier weights. PRs are rarely boring
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    These are pretty good;
    • New Rules of Lifting For Women
    • Strong Curves
    • ICF 5x5
    • Stronglifts 5x5

OP I'm not really sure what you mean by being bored but the first two listed are set up in 4 week clusters. They are full body workouts but the exact exercises change slightly each 4 week period. That may help stave off boredom.

I don't know enough about the other programs l listed to be 100% sure but I don't think they vary month to month (other than upping the weight, that is.)
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 10,782 Member
    Body-weight exercises can develop some serious strength and muscle (just ask Olympic gymnasts). Try doing an outdoor cross-country run (cardio) and stop every quarter mile to bang out a set of pushups, lunges, or pullups from a convenient tree branch (strength).
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    There are many ways to lift that are not just, do: x number of reps for x number of sets, and repeat. There are kettlebell routines you could look into. There are also barbell complexes, where, for instance, you take a barbell (whatever weight is appropriate for you) and lift it off the ground to your shoulders, then do a squat, then push it over your head, etc.
    Look into those. You can do a different one every time if you like. Then, later, as you get into it, you may want to do a more regimented program, like Stronglifts or Starting Strength or New Rules.
  • BronxBStanfield
    BronxBStanfield Posts: 34 Member
    Jefit app keeps me entertained. :)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    DavPul wrote: »
    Lift heavier weights. PRs are rarely boring

Yup. If weight lifting is boring then you are probably mailing in your workout.
  • linda2014mfp
    linda2014mfp Posts: 8 Member
    I recently discovered Kelly Coffey dvds.
    I have been doing her "muscle definition"
    For 4 weeks and I can see a difference.
  • cmt12345
    cmt12345 Posts: 64 Member
    Thanks for the suggestions :)

Has anyone done the Erin Stern Elite Body or Lee Labrada's plan on bodybuilding.com?
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    What's "the usual" for you?

I do agree with jemhh that if its repetition that is boring you, one of the 4 week programs could be refreshing for you. I do strong curves and really enjoy switching up...although I make tweaks because there are some things I don't like seeing vary. Plus you get a taste for a wide variation of lifts. Good learning experience.

And yeah, PRs should keep you excited. Up the intensity. I get literally get happy from an extra rep.
  • oldcargirl62
    oldcargirl62 Posts: 80 Member
    Want a real change up? See if there is a farm animal rescue or stables that helps special needs kids. Volunteer hoisting hay bales or shoveling poo, etc. Pick the hardest jobs. Consider other options like habitat for humanity and do the sod laying or hod tending. We have some blacksmiths in our area who are always looking for apprentices, it would be a new experience and work muscles you forgot! Your parks dept might have some muscle working volumteer spots too, cleaning waterways or bird refuges. Stay away from sissy stuff like highway clean up. Or just find a big old tractor tire, heavy duty rope lengths make your own fun. Chop wood alot, drag logs, climbing wall, throw a kettle bell around your backyard like the Scottish. Carry anything heavy you can find. I always worked very physical jobs-can you tell?