When to weigh in

fxstc9
fxstc9 Posts: 3 Member
how often should I weigh myself

Replies

• KateSimpson17
    KateSimpson17 Posts: 282 Member
    Usual recommendation is once a week. Your weight can fluctuate on a daily basis... even within the day, so to avoid discouraging yourself you should only do it one specific day to get somewhat accurate results. I also recommend doing it first thing in the morning. I weigh myself randomly throughout the week, but the only one I log is first thing Monday morning (seeing myself losing weight helps make my Monday a little more bearable!).
  • Steve_ApexNC
    Steve_ApexNC Posts: 210 Member
    fxstc9 wrote: »

that tends to be pretty individual. I weigh myself daily, but that is an old habit from my wrestling days about 9 lifetimes ago. The daily fluctuations don't bother me as long as the general trend over time is down. If you do it daily, it may help to log it daily so you can see it better over time.

Many people find that daily fluctuations are frustrating so they do it once per week. I don't know that I would go much longer than a week though as it would be hard to catch plateaus that inevitably happen.

The main thing is to do the weigh in while nude and you should do it at the same time of day. Most prefer mornings before breakfast.

So, basically, whatever interval you are comfy with and be consistent with the weighins.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    fxstc9 wrote: »

that tends to be pretty individual. I weigh myself daily, but that is an old habit from my wrestling days about 9 lifetimes ago. The daily fluctuations don't bother me as long as the general trend over time is down. If you do it daily, it may help to log it daily so you can see it better over time.

Many people find that daily fluctuations are frustrating so they do it once per week. I don't know that I would go much longer than a week though as it would be hard to catch plateaus that inevitably happen.

The main thing is to do the weigh in while nude and you should do it at the same time of day. Most prefer mornings before breakfast.

So, basically, whatever interval you are comfy with and be consistent with the weighins.

This sums it up pretty well.

I personally can't do the "once a week" weighing. For some reason I would find seeing no change at the end of the week 100x more frustrating than if I'd weighed myself every day and saw no general change.
  • chriskangell
    chriskangell Posts: 29 Member
    I weigh myself every single morning, and I don't sweat the fluctuations because they are immaterial.
  • Tundeg
    Tundeg Posts: 35 Member
    I do it every morning before breakfast. They say 1-2 lbs fluctuation is ok.
  • DuckReconMajor
    DuckReconMajor Posts: 434 Member
    Yeah, also for the fluctuations there are multiple ways to get a trend line for your weight readings, including awesome sites like https://trendweight.com/ if you have a FitBit or Withings product.
  • Merpig2015
    Merpig2015 Posts: 2 Member
    Do what works for YOU! I have to weigh daily. It's the only thing that works for me. I've fallen off diets many times in the past and stopping the daily weigh-in is always the first warning sign that I'm about to fail again. Religious daily weighing is what has helped me keep 80+ pounds off for 6 years now. YMMV.
  • SlimEsq
    SlimEsq Posts: 45 Member
    I try to weigh in every other week but my journey largely doesn't rely on the scale. I am focused on my performance during exercise and how my clothes fit. Nothing motivates me more than feeling my clothes get loose! Weight is something I track and obviously have a goal weight but I don't find that to be a great motivator, personally.
  • vadimknobel
    vadimknobel Posts: 165 Member
    I weigh myself every day, first thing in the morning, after using the bathroom, I like to monitor the day to day fluctuations in my weight, but I don't get upset if my weight goes up by 1 or 2 or 3 pounds, it's the general trend line (over a period of several weeks) I'm looking at.