Can't seem to lose any weight!!!!! Please help!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• RedPanda85
    RedPanda85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I just don't really try to eat back my calories. I just aim for 1300ish and go with that. I did plateau for a few weeks before I started seeing a dietician. Maybe try that?
  • JDAZ32
    JDAZ32 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    JDAZ32 wrote: »
    What does your reps and weight consist of? You might be replacing fat with muscle...
    you dont replace fat with muscle. it doesnt work that way

Right....should of articulated. What I mean of you're adding muscle mass and you're not burning fat properly, it can seem as if you're not making progress on the scale.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What does your reps and weight consist of? You might be replacing fat with muscle...

Right....should of articulated. What I mean of you're adding muscle mass and you're not burning fat properly, it can seem as if you're not making progress on the scale.

With the exception of newbie gains, one does NOT generally build muscle in a deficit.
  • JDAZ32
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

With the exception of newbie gains, one does NOT generally build muscle in a deficit.

Enlighten me...
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options
    Typically, when in a deficit, it is very difficult to build muscle. You have to be eating above maintenance in order to do that.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I read several days of OP's diary. Some of your things are weight and some are cups/spoons, and some is just "2 leaves". There is no way you can say you're counting the calories accurately. It's simply not possible. The brown rice for example...you may think you're measuring 1/3 cup, but I can promise you that it's not the gram weight that it's supposed to be. Tighten up your food intake. Tighten up the accuracy of your food logging. I'm willing to bet that once you do that, you'll start seeing changes.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    @tincanonastring...is that your little girl? She's adorable!
  • JDAZ32
    Options
    Typically, when in a deficit, it is very difficult to build muscle. You have to be eating above maintenance in order to do that.

My apologies....I'm trying to learn the lingo. What is deficit? Does that mean not having a balanced diet?
  • tincanonastring
    Options

My apologies....I'm trying to learn the lingo. What is deficit? Does that mean not having a balanced diet?

No worries. I'm referring to a calorie deficit. Your body needs a certain amount of calories to satisfy its energy needs. If you eat above that amount, you're in a calorie surplus. Below that amount, you're in a deficit. Right at that amount, and you're eating at maintenance.
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    Yep. That's my Baby Bird. Thank you very much. I think so too, but I'm a biased source!
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,920 Member
    Options
    Why would anyone's default assumption in a weight loss forum NOT be that the person falls under the definition of an over fat beginner who CAN experience newbie gains?

I was expecting based on info above to find a diary with 1500 Cal burns and over 2k eaten netting well over 1200.

Instead I see a diary with 1500-1600 eaten and well under 1000Cal net. At least on the days i looked at on my phone.

Plus works at hospitals which usually means active to highly active.

Water retention due to exercise... Yes. Beyond that... not sure.

Are you using weightgrapher.com, trend weight.com, happy scale on the iPhone or Libra on Android to track your weight trend over time and help cut through the noise of water weight?

Take a couple of days and eat at your mfp calories without any extra exercise but while weighting everything you eat on a scale (everything including packaged food, condiments) and while using entries you double check against the food label or the USDA database. And don't leave any calories on the table during the couple of days, while avoiding eating very salty food.

Hey: it is still eating at a deficit and it will give you a bit of a rest.

Otherwise I am sure someone will put up @lemonlionheart 's chart....
  • JDAZ32
    Options

No worries. I'm referring to a calorie deficit. Your body needs a certain amount of calories to satisfy its energy needs. If you eat above that amount, you're in a calorie surplus. Below that amount, you're in a deficit. Right at that amount, and you're eating at maintenance.

Gotcha!
  • summer21forever
    summer21forever Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I did see some stuff in your diary that looks to be measured in cups when it should be weighed. E.g, you have a cup of frozen strawberries. Those should be weighed because the weight can change from cup to cup depending on the size of the strawberries. There are a lot of those examples. How does one even measure an 1/8 cup of grape tomatoes?

Make sure you're also verifying the entries you're picking from the database. I like to bump the stats up against the USDA values. http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search

When in using the cup measurement On the package it has the grams in ( ) so a cup of frozen strawberries is 140g. I put that in my smoothie but I use the cup measurement.
    Or another example is my almonds. It's about 28g for a serving. The number of almonds varies so I weigh them in grams but use the oz serving they give me.
  • RuthWheeler79
    RuthWheeler79 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been on my plateau for nearly three months. I exercise 2 hours a day with one day off, mixing up cardio with resistance training and three exercise classes to keep it varied. I eat 1200-1500 a day and I'm definitely thinner than when I started but my progress seems to have ground to a halt. The problem is that if I start eating normally again I know I will gain. It's so frustrating
  • tincanonastring
    Options
    I did see some stuff in your diary that looks to be measured in cups when it should be weighed. E.g, you have a cup of frozen strawberries. Those should be weighed because the weight can change from cup to cup depending on the size of the strawberries. There are a lot of those examples. How does one even measure an 1/8 cup of grape tomatoes?

Make sure you're also verifying the entries you're picking from the database. I like to bump the stats up against the USDA values. http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search

When in using the cup measurement On the package it has the grams in ( ) so a cup of frozen strawberries is 140g. I put that in my smoothie but I use the cup measurement.
    Or another example is my almonds. It's about 28g for a serving. The number of almonds varies so I weigh them in grams but use the oz serving they give me.

That makes sense. I do the same thing.