Do I count walking as exercising?

Options
2»

Replies

• Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I count it if I go out and walk for the express purpose of getting exercise that day. Otherwise, no I don't count regular or part of life walking.
  • AnnaFit4Life
    AnnaFit4Life Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    3308WeightLossMotivation.jpg

Definitely counts. Anything over and above normal daily activity counts.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    This is what I go by...

< 5000 Sedentary
    5000 - 7499 Lightly Active
    7500 - 9999 Moderately Active
    10000 - 12499 Active
    >12500 Highly Active

I don't count my steps as exercise until I reach 10,000 steps and only if at least 5000 of them were aerobic.

So the first 5000 steps gets me from sedentary to lightly active. Then if I have an additional 5000 steps that are aerobic then I will and 30 minutes of walking as exercise. That is approximately 2 miles done at 4mph.

If all that made sense.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I'd count it. I count all my walking. If I didn't, I'd have either killed someone or gone on a hella binge my first week.
  • CostaRica120
    CostaRica120 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    I'm wondering about this too. I've been participating in a walking challenge at work and have greatly increased my walking. I'm walking to an from work an hour each way and then some. I've been waking around 20,000 steps per day and nearly hit 30,000 yesterday. I've compared calorie burn estimates on my pedometer, treadmill and MFP and they're all pretty close. My 20,000 steps = approx 800 calories. How many of those would you guys suggest I allow myself to eat?

How long did it take you to walk the 20,000 steps? What is your BMR? Does your pedometer, treadmill or MFP account for your BMR?

Of those, 20,000 steps, 14,000 are my walk to and from work. So 14,000 = 2 hrs = 5.6 km (The remaining steps are shorter walks here and there and just walking around for regular activity).
    My BMR is 1430.
    I don't know if any of these measures account for BMR.

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    So, something to consider. 2 hours of walking (xxx calories) subtract 2 hours of BMR will get you a more accurate caloric burn. So if you eat back half, remember to account for BMR. This is why there are so many threads where people disagree about calories burned during exercise. If this helps, great. If it doesn't, that is okay too. I typically do not eat back any calories.