rotator cuff soreness?

Options
dogcatac
dogcatac Posts: 124 Member
i have some pain in my rotator cuff. not sure what did it, but i think it may have been from playing tennis a few weeks ago. i've been lifting 4 times a week, and there are a few obvious exercises i will be avoiding to give it a break. is there anything else i can do to help it recover? it isn't exactly intense pain, but definitely feels off when i do certain movements, like the pull movement of a row. it's not swollen, but i'm wondering if ice/heat would help at all? anyone been here before?

Replies

• scarlet67
    scarlet67 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I'm having surgery on mine in august to repair it. ..I had cortisone injection and physio. ..been like this since February. Cold ice packs, rest and ibuprofen may help. Definitely don't keep lifting, hope you get better. .. :wink:
  • dogcatac
    Options
    i have been stupidly lifting through the pain and just hoping it was going to resolve itself. i just looked up the spot it's been hurting and saw it was the rotator cuff and i'm like nope nope nope nope nope :(
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that. Best thing to do is stop lifting until it completely heals.

But if you *must* lift, then don't do any pressing exercises.
  • dogcatac
    Options
    any suggestions on what to do in off time? i dont want to lose my muscles :pensive:
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    Rotator cuff soreness = you MUST rest it. Once it stops hurting, start doing exercises to strengthen it specifically. Do them at the END of your workout session (since they should be fresh and not tired to help with the rest of your lifting.)

bodybuilding.com/fun/criticalbench24.htm

In the off time, honestly just rest. You won't lose anything in one or two weeks off. You *will* lose muscle if you're out for 10 weeks rehabbing from surgery.
  • dogcatac
    Options
    ooof. okay, going to take a few weeks off. you're right, resting now is way better than surgery, etc. thanks for your help everyone!
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    It could be Bursitis. I thought I had rotator cuff damage but that was not the case.
    Research it online and see if the symptoms match.
    It's inflammation of the bursa and if that is the case, a shot of cortisone should provide some relief. Also, try avoiding barbells. Substitute dumbbells instead to allow your wrist to turn/twist and find a more comfortable position. Typically you cannot handle as much weight with dumbbells which will be appreciated by your healing bursa.

Anti-inflammatory meds are in order. If you want to stay away from NSAIDs, try Amino Activ. It's an amino acid based ant-inflammatory.

Be nice to it!
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    dogcatac wrote: »
    i have some pain in my rotator cuff. not sure what did it, but i think it may have been from playing tennis a few weeks ago. i've been lifting 4 times a week, and there are a few obvious exercises i will be avoiding to give it a break. is there anything else i can do to help it recover? it isn't exactly intense pain, but definitely feels off when i do certain movements, like the pull movement of a row. it's not swollen, but i'm wondering if ice/heat would help at all? anyone been here before?

Symptomes of bone spurs on the cuff, surgery
  • Teamhynes
    Teamhynes Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    If you want to see what's what on your own, rest it, do the NSAIDs or another anti-inflammatory a few times a day, don't sleep on that side, and see what happens. If still bothered where movement is limited and pain persists, call an Ortho. Good luck!
  • N200lz
    N200lz Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    ..... if it comes down to seeing an Orthopedic doctor, go to a sports medicine MD.
    They have a lot more commitment when it comes to getting "back on the horse."