Trying to forestall Type II diabetes

Options
I'm Terri.

So, with a family history of Type II, adult onset diabetes, and number that are "high" normal, and suddenly finding that on the other side of menopause it's easier to gain than to lose weight (thank you, Doc, for stating the obvious), I'm trying to be more conscious of how much I eat. I need to lose 25 pounds, and it may as well be 50 for all the effort and none of the success I'm experiencing.

I've eaten healthy most of my adult life (no processed or fried foods; no HFCS or sugary crap; mostly organic, whole foods). Normally, I never skip breakfast, but the rare days I have and have recorded my food, I find that I eat fewer calories. I know "everyone who's anyone" says you shouldn't skip breakfast. And when I do eat it, I always eat something healthy. I can't eat for at least a couple of hours after I wake up--I just can't put food in my mouth then. I usually eat after I get into the office, so around 7:30-8AM--after being up since 5. I find that I am hungrier at lunch time when I eat breakfast than when I don't. I know that sounds crazy. I tend to eat less at lunch if I bring a piece of fruit and a piece of nice cheddar for a mid morning snack and avoid breakfast, than if I eat eggs and fruit or oatmeal (steel cut, of course) or just about anything for breakfast.

In this attempt to lose 25 pounds and not gain any more, I bought a Microsoft Band fitness band, joined a gym, and I'm working out with a personal trainer. I usually expend about 1700 calories a day on average now. Still haven't lost any weight (or inches for that matter), but it's only been 2 months. (When does that "more energy" and "lose inches and fat, but gain muscle" kick in?)

My motivation for all of this is retirement looming in about 5 years. I want to be as healthy and fit a retiree as I can be, since I intend to do a lot of travelling then. I'd like to lose this 25 pounds before my next blood work in 6 months. (Oh, why can't there be a magic pill?) If I ever needed the "Little Engine That Could," now's the time.