Zoodles!

Options
I have fallen in love with zucchini noodles! I have made "scampi" with scallops and "scampi" with clams and just loved them both....wondering if anyone has any delish zucchini noodle recipes they would like to share? I'm a pasta lover and have switched to quinoa and brown rice pasta but looking for even healthier alternatives.... Thanks so much!! :)

Replies

• fitnotfluffy
    fitnotfluffy Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Oh man, zoodles are my favorite! I usually top them with a homemade red sauce with whatever I have on hand. I will sauté mushrooms, garlic, fresh spinach, diced up yellow squash, onion, whatever I have in the fridge with some ground beef or italian sausage and use crushed/diced tomatoes instead of jarred sauce. I made a shrimp scampi recently too, but I usually just stick with red sauce because it's my favorite! :p
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    Seriously the best recipe blog - all recipes of spiralized vegetables http://inspiralized.com/
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I also like to just saute some peppers, scallions, roasted red peppers, mushroom, spinach, cherry tomatoes (really anything), add in my zoodles and 1-2 wedges of spreadable cheese (like Laughing Cow). It makes a big, delicious meal in under 10 minutes and super low calorie.

130 calories:
    zoodles%20and%20veggies.jpg

Also, these Kung Pao Zoodles are REALLY good.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Where do you buy zoodles? I know I would love them!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Where do you buy zoodles? I know I would love them!
    You make 'em out of zucchini with a spiralizer, a julienne slicer or if you're cheap and old school , a carrot/potato peeler (it's more zinguini at this point, I gotta say)

I made a tuna & clam carbonara sauce to put on top the last time around and it made the tuna surprisingly edible! lol
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    you just take a zucchini and you can either make big noodles with a vegetable peeler or you can get a gadget like a vegetable spiralizer or a vegetti. I have a vegetti.

I'm also a huge fan of spaghetti squash. Just cut in half, roast cut side down for an hour at 350 and scrape the squash out with a fork. It already the size and consistency of spaghetti noodles.

My favorite recipe is to roast a spaghetti squash and then sautee some diced ham, green onion and peas in pan. While I'm cooking this I poach 4 eggs. Top the spaghetti squash with your sautee, a poached egg, and grate some fresh parmesan on top. I also put fresh basil and salt and pepper in this. The egg makes the sauce when you cut into it. This dish has good protein and low calories. (serves 4)
  • Steph_Reed
    Steph_Reed Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @ Cindy, you don't.
    Buy a sprilizer and make them from a zucchini. I bought the hand held one, like a mandolin but in a cone shape. You can also get a peeler that has Julian blades.
  • cindyangotti
    cindyangotti Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Going to get one this weekend.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Any problems with the zucchini releasing too much water/getting soggy?
  • ZyheeMoongazer
    ZyheeMoongazer Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    Any problems with the zucchini releasing too much water/getting soggy?

I haven't mastered solving the soggy issue, but letting them sit in a bowl with salt for about 15 minutes prior helps get some of the water out.

• amillenium
    amillenium Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I also like to just saute some peppers, scallions, roasted red peppers, mushroom, spinach, cherry tomatoes (really anything), add in my zoodles and 1-2 wedges of spreadable cheese (like Laughing Cow). It makes a big, delicious meal in under 10 minutes and super low calorie.

130 calories:
    zoodles%20and%20veggies.jpg

Also, these Kung Pao Zoodles are REALLY good.

THis looks amazing--I do something similar with a light homemade pesto!