Looking for an alternative

Options
What is a better alternative to butter and coconut oil to cook with?

Replies

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Cook how?

It's hard to get better than butter.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Define "better"? Higher smoke point? Less saturated fat? Tastier?
  • Sandcastles61
    Sandcastles61 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, and sprays..... Somethings I will add chicken broth or water to 'steam fry'
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    I use spray oil, much easier (no waiting for anything to melt and spreading it round the pan), and the one I use is only 1 calorie per spray.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    What are you cooking?
  • heatherhamil0808
    heatherhamil0808 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am looking for something that is healthier. Like if I am cooking on top of the stove, what can I put in the pan?
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Define healthier! Is it the calories you are trying to limit?

Here's my favourite way to cook mushrooms, which involves no fat whatsoever.

Get a punnet of button mushrooms, or quarter regular ones. Pack them tightly into a wide pan like a frying pan. Just cover with liquid of your choice - stock, or even just hot water. Bring to the boil. Keep simmering away for 10-15 minutes - the liquid level will rise at first, and then reduce to a lovely glaze.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Butter can be healthy. So can olive oil.

Do you have a particular reason for not wanting to use butter?
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    What's unhealthy in your opinion about butter and coconut oil? I'm not trying to bait you or anything, I just don't understand your goal.

-Less calories than butter: spray (but it contains soy lecithin), or nothing. Stop frying foods and use crockpot or make more soups/stews and salads. Or maybe a George Foreman-type grill (or regular grill or grill pan)

-Research shows long term raising of "good" cholesterol: olive oil (but has same calories as butter)

-Cheaper: canola/vegetable oil (but has same calories as butter)
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I use mostly olive oil. I do have canola oil and some grass fed pastured cultured butter in the fridge. Canola is my high heat or tasteless option. Sometimes I want the taste of butter. Everything else is EVOO.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    You can also saute in water or wine.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I like olive oil, ghee (clarified butter), and I tend to just take my oil of choice and put it in a misto. This way I don't over oil.
  • RavenLibra
    RavenLibra Posts: 1,737 Member
    Options
    extra virgin olive oil... you can buy it in a spray... BUT there is nothing wrong with butter... in fact new studies have concluded that Butter is actually more beneficial than margarine...
  • jessiruthica
    jessiruthica Posts: 412 Member
    Options

Get a punnet of button mushrooms, or quarter regular ones. Pack them tightly into a wide pan like a frying pan. Just cover with liquid of your choice - stock, or even just hot water. Bring to the boil. Keep simmering away for 10-15 minutes - the liquid level will rise at first, and then reduce to a lovely glaze.

That sounds fantastic! Putting it on my list - although I'm the only one at home who eats mushrooms. Do you think they would freeze well once cooked?
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options

That sounds fantastic! Putting it on my list

same here!