kettle bell

Options
I am not able to find kettle bell workout on the exercise database. If you are doing them, how are you entering them on MFP?

Replies

• Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I use a heart rate monotor so it's never an issue for me. For me (5'6, 120 pounds), I burn about 75 calories every ten minutes of high intensity kettlebell work-out.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I asked the same question. There is no entry for kettle bells, so I just enter it as strength training.
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Depending on how you are using the kettlebell as a piece of equipment while performing an exercise activity, you could log it under cardiovascular using "Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)" or "Circuit training, general" to get an estimate of Calories burned. Please note that the estimated Calories burned for cardiovascular exercises provided by MFP are based on published metabolic equivalent of tasks (METs), which are estimates for a general population and may differ for you as an individual.

The Compendium of Physical Activities has a new activity with an estimated METs of 9.8 for Kettlebell workout from a study comparing kettlebell workout with treadmill running.

You could use any one of the pre-loaded exercises with a similar METs value. The METs factors provide estimates for a general population and an individual user's Calorie burn rate may be different.

METs - Activity

3.0 - Strength training (weight lifting, weight training)
    8.0 - Circuit training, general
    8.5 - Aerobics, step, with 6-8 inch step
    9.0 - Running, 5.2 mph (11.5 min/mile)
    9.0 - Running, cross country
    9.8 - Running, 6.0 mph (10.0 min/mile)
    10.0 - Aerobics, step, with 10-12 inch step
  • jami53033
    jami53033 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks a bunch!! I think I will invest in a heart rate monitor. I have been putting it in as circuit training this whole time.
  • syrupspew
    syrupspew Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. I have a couple of Anthony DiLuglio workouts and wasn't sure how to log it.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    HRM are for cardio not for strength training.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    HRM are for cardio not for strength training.

You obviously use a kettle bell differently than I do ;-) But I admit, HRM's just give an estimate.
  • sebenza512
    sebenza512 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I log kettlebell training as cardio and just put in a guestimate of 450 cal/hour. My trainer came up with that number. One day I'll wear a HRM and test it out.