Hanging onto treadmills

Options
Several months ago, there was a discussion about hanging onto the treadmill while walking which got quite volatile, but no facts, just opinions. I have since learned this can hurt your back, your posture, and reduce your caloric burn by at least 20%. It can also throw you off balance when you are regularly walking, which can cause accidents. I never hang on unless I'm momentarily checking my heart rate. Anyone agree/disagree?

Replies

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about the other thing but yes hanging on is going to decrease the calorie burn.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would think that it would be uncomfortable to do for longer than a few seconds, purely due to it feeling unnatural. It's completely normal to swing your arms at least a little bit while walking so keeping them in one spot, especially while gripping the handles would just feel off. Also, when I walk on the treadmill I tend to be in the middle of it (looking at it as front to back) while the handles extend only a little bit toward the back. So if I held onto the handles I would be leaning forward with my hands/arms out front. It would be very awkward.
  • coreyreichle
    coreyreichle Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Trips me out when people have the incline up really high, yet lean back while hanging on...

I'm just thinking,"Brah, do you walk up hill like that, or do you lean into it?"
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Just let them be. Some people like to hold the rails, because they feel comfortable that way.
    I do not use the treadmill. I prefer the stairmaster and I agree exercising without holding is more work. As a minimum, improves my balance. That is just me.
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    Trips me out when people have the incline up really high, yet lean back while hanging on...

I'm just thinking,"Brah, do you walk up hill like that, or do you lean into it?"

I usually see it the other way, people leaning forward and hanging onto the front of the TM while doing 15 incline.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    The incline is recommended to take some of the strain off the knees. But the way I saw one girl doing it, I couldn't imagine it was helping. She held on to the side rails and walked up the steep incline as if she was upright. She kept her body at a ninety degree incline with the treadmill!

incline_wrong.jpg
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Now, when I first started out, I kept the treadmill at a strolling gait and I held on to the side rails about half the time. That changed as I got stronger and learned to move my arms. Baby steps.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    I use the treadmill like a hill climber, at a steep incline (15%) at around 3.0-3.5 MPH. My observation is that holding onto the railings makes this significantly easier, so much so that I pretty much make it a habit not to touch the railings.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I've never held onto the treadmill, but until I researched it, didn't realize that doing so contributes to numerous health issues.
  • Tahlia68
    Tahlia68 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I started working out at the gym just over a week ago after a 12yr break due to illness. I use the treadmill everyday and when I started I held on to the handles because that's the only way I can track my heart rate. I've stopped holding on now that Ive got used to it again and every 5 mins or so I hold the handle to check my heart rate. If you hold on do you burn less calories? Also what health conditions can it cause by holding on? I have a disability and would be interested with what people have to say. I've heard a lot of different stories about this subject. Thanks. :smile:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    I hang on because walking on a treadmill really throws off my balance. Sometimes I let go, and then, for some reason, I get dizzy and start wobbling all over the place and nearly fall off. I do have balance issues, so my situation is probably not the same for others. For example, I can't walk along a flat sidewalk with earbuds in and music playing either. Instantly dizzy and wobbly.

Plus that's how you check your heart rate.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you need to hang on because you've whacked your incline up so much then you need to decrease your incline

Hanging on prevents your core engaging fully, reduces the effort and calorie burn and can impact on your gait and hence your joints

Checking your HR is fine, but probably unneccessary to do frequently

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    I hang on because walking on a treadmill really throws off my balance. Sometimes I let go, and then, for some reason, I get dizzy and start wobbling all over the place and nearly fall off. I do have balance issues, so my situation is probably not the same for others. For example, I can't walk along a flat sidewalk with earbuds in and music playing either. Instantly dizzy and wobbly.

This is different, this sounds like a medical issue and safety should be paramount....perhaps you should consider an elliptical instead?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »

This is different, this sounds like a medical issue and safety should be paramount....perhaps you should consider an elliptical instead?

I'm fine if I hang on. :)

It is a minor medical issue ... has to do with my ears and sinuses. I can't stand on a bus either.

But fortunately I can still cycle, which is what I do the most, and I compensate when I experience difficulties there (like when I have to ride really slowly for some reason).