Why 1200 calorie goal is not a healthy choice?

Options
eshnna
eshnna Posts: 109 Member
edited July 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
I've seen several posts were people are criticized for being in a 1200 calorie goal or saying that when they were at 1200 they lost weight in an unhealthy way.

MFP gave me this recommendation for my height so that is what I am doing. I eat about 1300-1500 though and still keep my totals to around 1200 because of exercise.

Am I doing something wrong? I am losing about a pound per 10 days.

Replies

• rperkins524
    rperkins524 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Nutrisystem for the time being to get myself used to smaller portion sizes and as a "training wheel" for getting used to eating more healthy in general, and 1200 is the calorie goal given to me by that program. I've never personally heard it said that 1200 is unhealthy. I know 1000 and below is getting into malnutrition territory though.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    1200 calorie deficit or eating 1200 calories a day?
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    It's unhealthy because it's a blanket 1200. Like for example, I am a woman of 5ft9 height, and I'm expected to eat the same 1200 cals as a woman who is 5ft2. It's not taking into account all the variables. If you can safely eat at 1200, good for you, but for some of us, it's just isn't possible. :smile:
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    People don't say 1200 is bad - it's that 1200, in many cases, is unnecessary.

Most people sign up here, and when they input their goals see an option to lose 2 pounds a week. And they think YES!!!!!!!! I want to lose 2 pounds a week!!

What they don't know is that if you don't have much to lose, it's an unrealistic, and overly aggressive goal.

The goal should always be to eat as much as you can, while still losing weight. It's harder to stick to high deficits long term, and it's harder to meet your nutritional needs while being satiated.

A good rule of thumb is for every 25 pounds you have to lose, add .5lbs per week. So if you have 50 pounds to lose, a good goal is 1lb a week.

These are all general guidelines. It is, of course, up to you to figure out what you want to do.
  • eshnna
    edited July 2015
    Options
    1200 calorie goal. I am a short woman 5' 2. It just makes me think I am doing something wrong when I read that 1200 is too low.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    bbontheb wrote: »
    1200 calorie deficit or eating 1200 calories a day?

My question also.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    eshnna wrote: »
    1200 calorie deficit. I am a short woman 5' 2. It just makes me think I am doing something wrong when I read that 1200 is too low.

You surely mean calories a day. A 1200 calorie deficit for a 5'2" women would be nearly impossible.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    People don't say 1200 is bad - it's that 1200, in many cases, is unnecessary.

Most people sign up here, and when they input their goals see an option to lose 2 pounds a week. And they think YES!!!!!!!! I want to lose 2 pounds a week!!

What they don't know is that if you don't have much to lose, it's an unrealistic, and overly aggressive goal.

The goal should always be to eat as much as you can, while still losing weight. It's harder to stick to high deficits long term, and it's harder to meet your nutritional needs while being satiated.

A good rule of thumb is for every 25 pounds you have to lose, add .5lbs per week. So if you have 50 pounds to lose, a good goal is 1lb a week.

These are all general guidelines. It is, of course, up to you to figure out what you want to do.

Basically all this. People don't realise that 2lbs/week is unhealthy for them, so go for that option and MFP gives them 1200, then they get told that 2lbs/week isn't good for them. 1200 isn't an unhealthy amount to eat for everyone, it just is for many people here.
  • Guy04
    Guy04 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 and eating at 1200 since june 19th and feel great ! I've lost 15 pounds since then !
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Guy04 wrote: »
    I'm 5'9 and eating at 1200 since june 19th and feel great ! I've lost 15 pounds since then !

1200 is minimum for females. 1500 is minimum for males. You might consider upping your intake.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    1200 deficit? Really? That means you would have to eat 2400 calories and burn 1200 of them? Or does it mean you eat and burn 1200 calories a day? I'm confused, please help me.
  • iLoveMyPitbull1225
    iLoveMyPitbull1225 Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    She means 1200 daily calorie goal.
  • urloved33
    urloved33 Posts: 3,325 Member
    Options
    It's unhealthy because it's a blanket 1200. Like for example, I am a woman of 5ft9 height, and I'm expected to eat the same 1200 cals as a woman who is 5ft2. It's not taking into account all the variables. If you can safely eat at 1200, good for you, but for some of us, it's just isn't possible. :smile:

Wow I am five ft tall and they put me on a 1200 cal a day program too,. Its the same as the bmi not taking into account muscle mass.

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    1200 calorie deficit. I am a short woman 5' 2. It just makes me think I am doing something wrong when I read that 1200 is too low.

It's too low for the average person - average height, average weight, average activity. For someone shorter, lighter, older, more sedentary than average, 1200 might be reasonable. If your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE, there are calculators all over the place that can allow to you to find an estimation of yours) is, say, 2800 calories per day (typical for a tallish, somewhat active man, for example), then 1200/day is a daily deficit of 1600 calories or almost half a pound per day, which is quite aggressive and requiring them to eat well below their basal metabolic rate (BMR, the calories your body burns keeping itself alive before any activity at all - like if you were bedridden), which is not ideal and will usually mean that the body will be burning lean muscle mass as well as fat to keep itself running (also not ideal.)

However, if your TDEE is, say, 1600 calories a day (which might be the case for a five foot tall older woman with an office job) then 1200 calories is only a deficit of 400/day (less than a pound per week of loss) and probably not below her BMR at all.

If you're 5'2", female, and not doing a ton of activity, then you are not the average person and 1200/day is probably fine for you. but most people really can eat more than that and still be at a reasonable deficit.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I've seen several posts were people are criticized for being in a 1200 calorie deficit or saying that when they were at 1200 they lost weight in an unhealthy way.

MFP gave me this recommendation for my height so that is what I am doing. I eat about 1300-1500 though and still keep my totals to around 1200 because of exercise.

Am I doing something wrong? I am losing about a pound per 10 days.

At 1 lb per 10 days you're eating about 350 calories below your TDEE and losing at a reasonable rate.
  • DemoraFairy
    DemoraFairy Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    peleroja wrote: »
    However, if your TDEE is, say, 1600 calories a day (which might be the case for a five foot tall older woman with an office job)

Really? I'm 5'4 (average height), 24 (not exactly old), office job, and my TDEE is 1535. People often used to say I was eating waaay too little when I said I ate 1200 a day... it's a 300 calorie deficit, not exactly starving myself.

I mean, I do agree with everything you've said, but you don't have to be that old or short to have a TDEE of around 1600.
  • jrue1985
    jrue1985 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't think she knows what deficit means....
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Guy04 wrote: »

As a male, I think you should consider eating more. I SERIOUSLY urge you to eat more, in fact. There are risks to your long term health losing weight at this rate. Hormonal. Bones. Muscles. Hair.
  • eshnna
    Options
    Yeah I got confused. I meant calorie goal. I edited my post. FORGIVE ME! :po:)
  • eshnna
    Options
    At 1 lb per 10 days you're eating about 350 calories below your TDEE and losing at a reasonable rate.

Yeah I am thinking I am not counting my calorie intake right anyway because per MFP I should be losing 2lbs per week. I am not.

What I am reading anyway is that I should up my calories and set my goal to lose .5lbs per week? This is the "healthier" way? But why?