Slim Fast

Options
Hey, I was wondering about everyones thoughts on slim fast? ive lost 4 stone now and have taken up gyming, running and spinning but think my body is slowly but surely getting used to exercising and healthy diet. I was thinking of doing slim fast for a few weeks just to give my body a bit of a shock and to kick start the weight loss again as im still 15 stone so have plenty of weight to lose?

I understand it isn't the healthiest way to lose weight and is just a short term fix but im really considering it.

Thoughts would be appreciated :)

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    it isn't the healthiest way to lose weight and is just a short term fix

this!
  • jjay23
    jjay23 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I treid that a long time ago to give myself a kick start and honestly it just went back on, I lost alot to start but i hated the shakes always felt rough and put it back on. being patient is rubbish! I am the most impatient person ever but stick at it, see whether slim fast works for you but for me losing then gaining was dissapointing and put me off
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    You should do a quick search; this came up not long ago. I have used it as a kick start, but not a long term. Lots of people lose weight on it and gain it back when they use it as their primary, but that isn't what yo are considering. I like whey powder better and if you shop around you will find that at about the same (or sometimes less) cost and you can find plenty of them with the added nutrients to match up pretty well with SlimFast. Hard to beat the convenience of the cans, but I prefer Muscle Milk Light if I am going to pay extra for convenience. Anyway, it could work but probably isn't your best choice unless it will take you days to decide to do anything else. If that's the case, then start on it today and start researching what to do next...
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    My biggest objection is that it doesn't teach you how to eat for the rest of your life.

Apart from that, the nutrition in it is really poor - most of the good stuff comes from the milk you add.
    You could do just as well from a nutrition standpoint by having a glass of milk, an apple and a multivitamin.

You have lost 4 stone (56lbs) - what an achievement, you must be doing something right! :flowerforyou:
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I understand it isn't the healthiest way to lose weight and is just a short term fix but im really considering it.
    Emphasis on "short term fix" - you know what it is and what it does, so what is there to consider?!! It is not a long term healthy solution to losing weight.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    It's a really simple way to cut calories but I found I was always hungry and they gave me terrible wind! It really does take willpower to do Slimfast and they are so sweet I can't be certain they are good for you. An alternative is just to find 200 calorie recipes and replace two meals a day with them instead. I'd rather have a massive bowl of salad with ham, feta and olives that will keep me full up than a sickly drink that is gone in 60 seconds and leaves me craving more.
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Slim fast contains all the essential vitamins and minerals. I know some weight lifters that use it to supplement. There is nothing wrong with it. However, drinking a shake for breakfast, one for lunch and then a 'sensible' dinner would definitely not be long term sustainable for me. I would use it to supplement, but other options are cheaper. Good luck on your venture!
  • super_J73
    super_J73 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have a shake or bar once in a while if I'm at work and I'm busy, I have lost weight on them, about 12 pounds years ago but gained it all back pretty fast.
  • Marley2310
    Marley2310 Posts: 304
    Options
    it depends on how much body fat u have now if u are above ur healthy NORMAL range then yes a crash diet will work until u reach ur healthy range but if u are at ur healthy body fat range and going for the athletic or lean range a crash diet will screw ur hormones , eat ur muscle & damage your metabolism and u are going to regain all the weight back .