New method of muscular recovery may help athletes

Options
jgnatca
jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
I heard this on doctor radio this week.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11858977/tourniquet-training-change-way-athletes-recover-injuries

A low pressure tourniquet with light reps speeds muscle recovery after injury.

Replies

• socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Perform reps while strangling off my body's normal adaptation to be exertion? I've heard of this before but yet my response remains the same.

I'm good, thanks
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Blood flow restriction training isn't new and has been used by bodybuilders for a variety of reasons (including injury recovery). I still won't do it.

I do find it interesting that physical therapists seem to pick up things that bodybuilders/lifters have been doing for a long time and call it new. I saw a physical therapist about my ankle who suggested a method that was "new" and when I looked it up the method had been used by bodybuilders since before I was born.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    Blood flow restriction training isn't new and has been used by bodybuilders for a variety of reasons (including injury recovery). I still won't do it.

I do find it interesting that physical therapists seem to pick up things that bodybuilders/lifters have been doing for a long time and call it new. I saw a physical therapist about my ankle who suggested a method that was "new" and when I looked it up the method had been used by bodybuilders since before I was born.

Yes, but now there's a pubmed article that they can link to. That stuff totes didn't work until it was involved with a ncbi URL.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,565 Member
    Options
    Bodybuilders today are doing tournaquet training.......................by forcing MORE blood into the muscle with pumping iron. I remember this back in the 80's. Tried it once myself to see. DID NOT enjoy it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    Options
    I think I've seen a related study. It definitely sounds interesting, but also a little terrifying. OTOH, so are cortisone shots :/