Weight Lifting Progress Question

CrystalFlury
CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
edited July 2015 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
Alright, so I've been on MFP since August 2011 and was all about reduce reduce reduce (calories) and workout real hard with any aerobic activity I saw fit. So, now I'm doing a complete turn and finally realized eating lower calorie to "maintain-ish" weight was only hurting me.

I also had an epiphany a while back that losing 5 or 10 lbs back to my lightest wasn't going to cut it. I was by no means going to look better. To put it simple, my midsection has been the worst area of my body and seriously looks like a smaller version of my 40+ lb. self. I thought losing was going to magically fix it but after many times in the past of seeing people's transformations and them attesting to how much lifting heavy has done for their physique I'm totally willing to give it go. I finally have access to a gym for a year (hopefully longer if we stay put) and I'm reading into weight lifting. I have already read over and over to up calories; eating at or above TDEE. I'm waiting on a book to come in; The New Rules of Lifting Lift Like a Man Look like a Goddess. I'm excited to start getting educated.

This might be a ridiculous question but, on average how long does it take to start seeing changes? I've already taken my before photos and measured the largest part of my belly (at my belly button because that's what matters to me ). I plan to take a progress photo every month. But I want to know from all you experienced people how long it took you to see changes; looking in the mirror, comparing how clothing fit, when did others notice your transformation?

Replies

• ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,370 Member
    YMMV as I started out fairly lean, but changes in clothing fit became apparent around 5 or 6 months. I don't see much change in the mirror, but photos showed change at about the same time (I don't do regular progress pics). My SO is the only one who has commented on any changes -- and maybe only because he is very supportive of my fitness goals so he's trying to cheer me on -- and he really only seemed to notice around the 7 month mark.

OTOH, I'm middle-aged so you may see results quicker.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    I think alot depends on your level of effort, but to really get a boost, go for those newbie gains. When you start out, it's probably the BEST time to shoot up the charts on progressively lifting heavier weights (another terrific book to read is Ripptoe's Starting Strength, goes into it well there).

It also depends on the amount of fat you want to lose (how much will be covering your muscles); whether you're doing a "recomp" (staying at maintenance calories), or upping your calories to "bulk." In either case, re-comping is a bit slower to see a transformation, but bulking--remember you're adding both fat and muscle when you do that. So it's the bulking AND cutting cycle that will best show off your new muscles.

I've been lifting for about 9 months. I can seriously feel triceps where there were none, stronger arms, better legs...but I bulked for about 6-7 months, and am on about the 2nd month of cutting to dump some of the fat. I think I see some changes, and my husband says he does, but photos don't seem to really show them well. I have a feeling I'll see more visible changes in another couple months.

Oh, and I'm 53 now, and am certainly not lifting as progressively as many younger women can.

Check out the thread "Lifting made me SUPAH bulky!!!!" and you'll see some great before/after images along with the length of time it took. Good luck, lifting WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE!!!
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    A new lifter can expect far more rapid results provided the effort is high enough, than an experienced lifter for whom gains come more slowly. You will begin to see some changes in your body immediately due to "pump" which is just your body retaining water for muscle tissue repair. To begin to see some actual muscle growth that is visible, 5-6 months is more realistic but a shorter time is not unheard of. You most likely cannot increase muscle mass more than 12-15 pounds in a year, being female... but you shouldn't worry too much about that. Worry more about putting in max effort, eating well, and resting well and you will see the results you desire. It would help if you take periodic pictures so that you can look back and compare, I hear that from many people.
  • ExRelaySprinter
    ExRelaySprinter Posts: 874 Member
    Check out the thread "Lifting made me SUPAH bulky!!!!" and you'll see some great before/after images along with the length of time it took. Good luck, lifting WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE!!!

That is an excellent thread! :)
  • CrystalFlury
    CrystalFlury Posts: 400 Member
    Thanks y'all! I took a look at that thread and it's rather motivating. I look forward to continuing my weight training. It's kind of fun!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    <-- progressive resistance training whilst losing weight

I'm a big believer

Strength gains come quickly...because I was losing body fat and a noob I can't tell you how long it took for the lifting to make a difference in isolation...but it works

And it makes you feel awesome