A little bit of trouble regarding friends and social life

Options
My friends think I'm being too radical and strict , let me tell you, I was overweight like, 2.5 years ago, and I did attend gym and all, haven't stopped but it's just like,2 months ago that I began to take it seriously,now I count my macros try new workouts, do proper research etc, and it's going great,finally got a butt lol, and I think I found my thing,but I added "clean eating" ( not so clean since I eat vegan sausages and nuggets and stuff and it's processed but it has good ingredients ) anyway, I cut off the alcohol almost completely, I may drink 1-2 beers and that is it,and not on days I lift, which is monday-saturday.

The "problem" is they think I'm obssesed, call me vigorexic, think I'm super boring now, tell me things like "You are already thin,don't lose more weight" and I'm like.. it's not "weight" I want to drop body fat only... going out to eat with them it's almost impossible as well..I am getting a hello kitty tupper to solve that hehe.

So, how do you deal with this kind of situation if you've ever been into one ?

And no, I don't feel like I'm restricting myself too much, I am happy drinking way less and eating 6 times a day cos it's the only way I can graze my TDEE . and I do have many topics to talk about it's not gym all the time, but well, I'm not up to skip on sleep or eat anything that is in front of me.

Replies

• masihbelum
    masihbelum Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Good for you for doing what you believe is best for yourself! You know where you've been weight-wise, and you know where you want to be and are willing to take the steps to eat good foods and limit less-good-for-you foods. You've persisted over months and years to find what will keep you fit and satisfied food-wise. Well done! You're setting yourself up well for a healthy life.

Checking in with your doctor or a reliable personal trainer can help you know whether or not you're overdoing it. Depending on where you and your friends are at in life, it may just be that they don't see the need to eat well, drink less, and work out. A lot of people take health for granted until something catastrophic wakes us up to better self-discipline.

Best regards in your ongoing efforts!
  • jenncornelsen
    jenncornelsen Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    i have a good buddy who has the same issue. i like going out to eat with friends and so i usually just make room in my diet for an evening out. what he does is goes to every event, but will just get a diet soda. he does not talk about his diet unless ask encouraging questions. just divert any negative comments. eventually they will move on. if this is fairly new people need time to adjust. but they will if they're real friends
  • theawill519
    theawill519 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My friends give me this crap all the time... and I'm still really fat! A girlfriend texted me earlier to see if I'd like to go shopping tonight after work and eat at What-a-burger. When i told her I'd already logged my calories for the day and that I needed to go to the gym tonight, she scoffed and told me I was "too intense." UGH- sometimes, I feel like I need new friends! :s
  • ireadlabelsdammit
    ireadlabelsdammit Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I've been given "the talk" a couple times recently, too. The crazy thing is I eat a lot more now than I used too. I don't like when people make a fuss over me, so when I do go out to eat I review the menu online beforehand and try to plan for it with my eating for the day. This way I can still participate. But I agree, awareness has made social situations a bigger hassle.

• beastmode2718
    beastmode2718 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Uggghh I have the same problem but when I tell people I wanna eat healthy and get in shape they think I'm anorexic. My family and boyfriend are overweight and make poor food choices all the time and it's hard to stay on track around them. So yeah what do you do
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    You're doing great!
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Oh thanks for the responses, I just now read them, was at gym.

Hmmm well the thing is,they already thought I am too restrictive,since I'm a vegan,but that's been going on for 2 years,thing is now they think I'm even more restricted...I just don't feel like eating fries when going out,that's not a crime right?
    This new cleaner eating has been happening for merely 2 weeks,so yeah I hope it will only take time. thanks a lot <3
  • Katzedernacht
    Options
    masihbelum wrote: »
    Good for you for doing what you believe is best for yourself! You know where you've been weight-wise, and you know where you want to be and are willing to take the steps to eat good foods and limit less-good-for-you foods. You've persisted over months and years to find what will keep you fit and satisfied food-wise. Well done! You're setting yourself up well for a healthy life.

Checking in with your doctor or a reliable personal trainer can help you know whether or not you're overdoing it. Depending on where you and your friends are at in life, it may just be that they don't see the need to eat well, drink less, and work out. A lot of people take health for granted until something catastrophic wakes us up to better self-discipline.

Best regards in your ongoing efforts!

Thank you very much,well I am one of the older ones in the group and I am almost sure I was the heaviest drinker, so maybe that's why it's so surprising now hehe.

• Katzedernacht
    Options
    I've been given "the talk" a couple times recently, too. The crazy thing is I eat a lot more now than I used too. I don't like when people make a fuss over me, so when I do go out to eat I review the menu online beforehand and try to plan for it with my eating for the day. This way I can still participate. But I agree, awareness has made social situations a bigger hassle.

Hahaha,same here!! now I feel like I'm eating all the time, cacao nibs, broccoli, smoothies, sandwiches, protein shake, food all day xD