Question about at-home lifting with old-school equipment

Options
hcdo
hcdo Posts: 201 Member
Super newb here, so forgive my ignorance. I've been trying to get started lifting at home, and recently got Strong Curves as a guide. (I'm still only on the intro chapters.) I have an old weight bench and bar (plus plates) that my husband and stepsons abandoned in the man cave. Doing a quick scan of the exercises in the book and on various other lifting sites, it looks like I'd be able to do most of them with the equipment I have. The problem, though, is that the bar is 45 pounds, and it's not on a power rack (is that the right term?), just the bench, so I can't really lift it myself to put it in position for squats. I can have one of the other members of my household help me, but does anyone have suggestions for other ways to do this on my own? Or should I just use one of the plates for now since the bar's obviously too heavy/unwieldy for me? Do you other at-home lifters have other equipment you'd suggest for a female with little arm strength? Thanks in advance for your advice!

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Hmm. I think that a rack or stands is pretty high priority for Strong Curves. The good thing is that (assuming you're doing the beginner program) you won't even need a barbell for squats until Week 9 so you have time to look for a good deal on equipment.

Could you keep an eye on Craigslist for a deal? I found my stands for $50. A rack would be higher most likely but you never know, you might find a great deal. It seems like every once in awhile a person with grown kids is cleaning out the basement, tired of the kids' stuff down there, and then posts weightlifting stuff for crazy low prices just to get rid of it.
  • hcdo
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    Hmm. I think that a rack or stands is pretty high priority for Strong Curves. The good thing is that (assuming you're doing the beginner program) you won't even need a barbell for squats until Week 9 so you have time to look for a good deal on equipment.

Could you keep an eye on Craigslist for a deal? I found my stands for $50. A rack would be higher most likely but you never know, you might find a great deal. It seems like every once in awhile a person with grown kids is cleaning out the basement, tired of the kids' stuff down there, and then posts weightlifting stuff for crazy low prices just to get rid of it.

Good to know, thanks! I'll keep my eye out for one.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    hcdo wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »

Good to know, thanks! I'll keep my eye out for one.

I'm not sure why I didn't think of this before but you could also build a rack or stands for yourself. Obviously the stands are less costly and involved to make. If you go with that option, you could use sawhorses as safeties. I use these sawhorses in my home gym as my safeties and for dips.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    You can definitely build one for a lot less. The construction is easy. And you could have most pieces cut for you at Home Depot. You'll need a drill and a hole saw. Or you could buy something like this http://t.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=23773346&clickid=family_cs&recid=family_PageElement_family_rr_1_1026

• hcdo
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    If you are committed, just pick up a power rack on Craigslist or if you have the cash and don't want to deal with it just buy online. You won't regret it. A new one will cost you about 400-800 depending on the features. You can go cheaper but the quality is lacking and I wouldn't recommend it.

Good brands (Not in any particular order):
    Body solid
    Rogue
    Sorinex
    Legend