Skinny fat! Lose fat/gain muscle without losing weight?

Options
Hi all. I'm pretty much at a good weight but I have a bad case of skinny fat. My goal is really to be at the same size but to have more muscle mass and less fat.

I've been trying to lose a bit of fat so I can then focus on gaining muscle, but it doesn't really seem healthy or ideal to drop into being underweight. However, I understand you can't build muscle while on a deficit... so what is the best way for a person to alter their composition?

Apologies if this has been answered before but I could only find posts referring to those who still wanted to lose weight. I don't want to get thin, I just want to be stronger and healthier!

Replies

• SGSmallman
    SGSmallman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    if you are new to lifting you can and will gain muscle strength while eating at a deficit, some people can continue to build (I'm an example) during a fat loss program
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    It sounds like for you the best way to do it would be to do a very basic bulk & cut cycle. While eating at a calorie surplus, focus on strength training over all else. You will gain a significant deal of weight (about 10, 15 lbs max) with some of it being muscle most of it being fat. After it's complete, you cut. Transition to a workout regimen based on a circuit training-style format while eating at a deficit.

Also, as the above individual posted, people new to strength training will see muscle gain while at a deficit when untrained muscles react to stimuli.
  • timkane46
    timkane46 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I would say dive in and start working out ! After a couple of weeks start making some adjustments if you need to. The scale is not going to be your friend you need to be more aware of how you feel, how you look in the mirror and how your clothes fit. Make sure you stay hydrated and get enough sleep to give your body the time it needs to recover. I have maintained the same weight for over a year now but I have added muscle mass, I track my macros as well as calories. I would suggest you use a calorie calculator like this one http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/ if you are going to try and add some muscle.. work hard !
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert, but my advice is to get yourself a good programme, like Drop Two Sizes by Rachel Cosgrove, or The Body Fat solution by Tom Venuto. Both of these have good compound movements in them. No, I am not affiliated with them in any way, I just really like the books.

Or, join the New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women group here. They will have some good advice for you, and if memory serves me correct, I think that's an Allwyn Cosgrove book.. Good stuff, compound movements, easy to learn programme, based on stages, so you won't get bored.

If you are skinny, maybe eat at maintenance calories and start your weights programme. Adapt after a fortnight if you need more food. There is no need for a cut now if you are aiming for body recomposition.

Best wishes!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Eat a small surplus while strength training to gain muscle. As a woman the most muscle you can expect to gain is around 1lb per month so a bulk (i.e. eating at surplus) cycle should ideally be around 6 months. Aiming for around 250 cals above TDEE per day should give around 1lb weight gain per week. Some of this will be muscle and LBM, some will be fat and some will be water.

Once you're happy with the amounth of mass you've gained, if you feel you have fat to lose, eat at a small deficit to cut the fat.

Cycle between these two phases until you've reached the composition you're happy with.
  • ferocityturbine
    ferocityturbine Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I've got a very long journey ahead of me as my upper body strength is embarrassingly poor (like can't do one girly push up poor). I was thinking of starting with something like this:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/beginning-workout-plan/

I've always been the typical cardio bunny who has never even looked at strength training, which I'm very much regretting now. As I'm starting from the absolute beginning I expect progress will be very slow, and I'm a bit concerned about the extra calories translating into mostly fat as I gain tiny muscle gains...

Is there a certain amount of 'beginner's luck' in which progress happens quickly at first and then slows down? Or is this just wishful thinking?
  • koing
    koing Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I've got a very long journey ahead of me as my upper body strength is embarrassingly poor (like can't do one girly push up poor). I was thinking of starting with something like this:

I've always been the typical cardio bunny who has never even looked at strength training, which I'm very much regretting now. As I'm starting from the absolute beginning I expect progress will be very slow, and I'm a bit concerned about the extra calories translating into mostly fat as I gain tiny muscle gains...

Is there a certain amount of 'beginner's luck' in which progress happens quickly at first and then slows down? Or is this just wishful thinking?

You will not gain much fat if you are eating 250cal over maintenance a day. What are your macros? I can almost guarantee you are not eating enough protein and the fact that you do not do any weights has meant you look the way you are. BUT you can change this very easily :)

Get on a real strength training programme. Start slow and build up. Get on Starting Strength. Do not be scared to lift weights. You won't be huge over night or even through months of hard training. But you will develop a hard body if you eat properly and train hard. Don't train light like most people or you will end up looking like them. If you want to look different to them you will have to progressively lift heavier weights once you get comfortable with the movements.

Beginners luck only exist if you train *hard* and *eat properly*. It is not a given you will get your 10-15lbs of muscle. You have to EARN it through dedicated hard work in the gym. Look at the people in the gym. Do you think they have been given their beginner gains/ luck?

Train hard for 6-8months and see where you are at. If you are happy with your size and muscle gained then go on a slow cut. If you are not happy keep on going. Put on size for 5-6months+ for any meaninful size gains.

Koing
  • davideickelmann
    davideickelmann Posts: 87 Member
    Options

Do you not have access to free weights?
  • ferocityturbine
    Options

Not at the moment, no, but I'm willing to invest if that's the best way forward. I do fully appreciate what everyone says about there being no benefit to barbie weights and I would love to be able to lift heavy weights, but I'm concerned I wouldn't be able to do a thing with them right now.

To quantify my current upper body strength, I can do 9 push ups against my kitchen counter. I weigh 115lbs :(
  • davideickelmann
    Options

Not at the moment, no, but I'm willing to invest if that's the best way forward. I do fully appreciate what everyone says about there being no benefit to barbie weights and I would love to be able to lift heavy weights, but I'm concerned I wouldn't be able to do a thing with them right now.

To quantify my current upper body strength, I can do 9 push ups against my kitchen counter. I weigh 115lbs :(

Resistance training, whether it's done with bodyweight exercises or weights will make you stronger. As far as light vs heavy weight, the only thing that matters is that it's heavy "for you". My wife squats 135-145 lbs or so for reps, which no one would ever describe as a really heavy weight, but it's right around her body weight, and is heavy for her, which is what matters.

As far as buying free weights, that can get expensive, but for building up a weaker upper body, it's a good option. The problem with the program you linked is that the walk the planks probably won't do much for you since you probably can't hold them for very long, and barbell (or dumbbell) rows would give you better results. The push ups will probably be more effective, since you can just adjust the angle to your counter to increase the resistance. As a woman, your greatest strength is in your hips, quads, and glutes, and this program has you doing 3 sets for all of those muscles, using only the weight that you can hold/balance in your hands.

It's better than nothing, but your progress is going to be limited by your lack of equipment and the difficulties for a woman to get herself doing pull-ups/getting results from pull up negatives. If a gym membership is an option, look for one where you can do one of the beginner lifting programs like Strong Lifts or Starting Strength (i.e., where there are lots of dumbbells and barbells, squat racks, and benches.)

Bodyweight exercises will help make you stronger, and definitely get you fitter, but you're going to need to either get a gym membership or invest in a really sweet home setup to get "strong".
  • ferocityturbine
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I will have the option of a gym membership at a pretty decent rate once I start uni in September, but I'd like to be able to gain some strength before I have to work out in front of others. I've looked into Stronglifts and Starting Strength, but think I need a bit of work before even a beginner programme like those...

What would you suggest as a bridge to get me from where I am now to where I could start a decent beginner programme. Bodyweight exercises? Investing in some dumbells? Weight machines at the gym?
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice. I will have the option of a gym membership at a pretty decent rate once I start uni in September, but I'd like to be able to gain some strength before I have to work out in front of others. I've looked into Stronglifts and Starting Strength, but think I need a bit of work before even a beginner programme like those...

What would you suggest as a bridge to get me from where I am now to where I could start a decent beginner programme. Bodyweight exercises? Investing in some dumbells? Weight machines at the gym?

Everyone has to start somewhere. You will still be able to do the exercises, but start with just the empty barbell with no weight added. Work on getting your form right and when you feel comfortable start adding more weight. You will be surprised how quickly your strength increases initially.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,582 Member
    Options
    Just start with a good base first. Pushups, inverted pullups, squats to start. Learn the form, nail it down and try to do at least 10 full reps. As you get better you can increase resistance.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • davideickelmann
    Options

Everyone has to start somewhere. You will still be able to do the exercises, but start with just the empty barbell with no weight added. Work on getting your form right and when you feel comfortable start adding more weight. You will be surprised how quickly your strength increases initially.

This is some great advice. Also, when you're in the gym, no one cares how much weight you're using. The only things that cause snickering are poor form and curling in the squat rack. Carry yourself with self confidence, you're doing more than the overwhelming majority of people who aren't in the gym and aren't paying attention to their diet.

As far as a bridge, ninerbuff gave some good examples. If you have a staircase with a decent sized landing below it, you can put your feet on the landing and your hands on one of the higher up stairs and work on your push ups that way (as you get stronger, use a stair that's closer to the floor until you get down to the floor itself and are able to do a push up). If you can afford some dumbbells (craigslist tends to have a lot of used ones, and I think Walmart should have a starter set). I would start off with shoulder press and rows, and dumbbells can be used to make squats more challenging.

Alternatively, at least for the rows and squats, a gallon of water weighs 6 lbs, so if you can hold 2 water-filled gallon jugs in each hand, that's 24 lbs for those exercises.

One more thing to keep in mind: No matter how much weight you can lift, as long as the weight you're using is challenging FOR YOU, you will do fine on the SS or SL programs. No one in the history of time has ever come out and squatted 300+ lbs their first time doing resistance training.
  • ferocityturbine
    Options
    Thanks for all your replies, there's been some great encouragement and advice here. I think I'm going to get Starting Strength, have a good read, find a used set of dumbells and also work on my push ups at home until I have access to the gym. Hopefully then I'll feel less intimidated by the idea of free weights for when I get to uni and have access to the gym.

Thanks everyone, for the support as much as the advice :happy: