Goals

Options
sjmay51
sjmay51 Posts: 10 Member
My goals today are to consume 40%protein, 20%fat and 40% carbs. If I change my goals tomorrow to something else, will it change my food diary from days prior to my new goals?

Replies

• Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    I just tested it on mine, and yes, it changes them for your past diary entries, too (weird).

Is there a reason you want to change them? Are you going to keep them that way, or is it just for the day? (Genuinely curious)
  • sjmay51
    Options
    Well I was doing some research and I read that my goals should be 40 protein, 40 fat and 20 carbs. Now Im not sure which to follow
  • sjmay51
    Options
    I've had success with weight loss this week but I'm shy almost 300 calories per day and I exercise daily. I don't eat my calories back up. I have a trainer and he gave me the 40/40/20 calculation but I think I might have misunderstood him on the carb/fat ratios
  • sjmay51
    Options
    I just checked Livestrong website and they say carbs 40, fat 25 and protein 35. UGH!
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    sjmay51 wrote: »
    I just checked Livestrong website and they say carbs 40, fat 25 and protein 35. UGH!
    It is a matter of 1) your goal, and 2) personal preference.

These are mine fwiw: carbs 35%, fat 40%, Protein 25%.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    sjmay51 wrote: »
    I've had success with weight loss this week but I'm shy almost 300 calories per day and I exercise daily. I don't eat my calories back up. I have a trainer and he gave me the 40/40/20 calculation but I think I might have misunderstood him on the carb/fat ratios
    Plan and log in the diary the day before so that you have enough calories the next day.
    Foods that add calories: cheese, hummus, nuts, peanut butter, olives, bananas, butter, beans and lentils, dried fruit, beef jerky, tuna, rice, bananas, honey.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    There is no one right ratio here. Its partly a matter of preference. And it depends what your intentions and beliefs are about diet.

I think this ration he's given you is a little weird. Too much protein I think. Is he trying to turn you into a body builder? Not many people need to eat that much protein. 40% fat is ok. I"m told its typical of a french diet. But your carbs should be higher unless you are doing low carb and then your fat should be higher. The tradeoff is between fats and carbs, not carbs and protein.

Protein should be up to about 35 tops but you'd be find doing 25%.

Carbs are for energy unless you are doing a low carb diet and then you would burn fat for energy. Protein is not for energy its for muscle building and tissue repair but you don't need to eat heaps of protein to build muscle. I think you should do some research of your own.
  • sjmay51
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I'm going to keep it protein 40%, Fat 20% and Carbs 40% since we've had great results this week. These ratios are different than even last week due to recent weight gain that may be hormone related. I'm 52 and my body is changing again. My trainer and I have been working together for 3 years now. Start weight was 134, today is 113. He is very experienced and brings forth an amazing amount of knowledge. I will clarify numbers with him again on Monday to ensure I did not mix up the ratios. And yes I will research personally. Information is power, right! Enjoy your day peeps!