Carnhot Posts: 367 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I must learn how!

Learnt now :smile:
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    I like 1 mg sublingual melatonin to help me fall asleep fast. When I've used OTC and prescription sleep aids, I feel hungover the next day.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    These don't work for everyone, but there are guided visualization meditations specifically to help lead you into sleep. There are several on youtube - since they're free it can't hurt to try. Whispered guided meditations and breathing-focused guided meditations seem to be most useful for insomnia.

Quite a few people report that doing about 10 minutes of yoga at bedtime helps a lot as well.

Sure, after all, yoga was designed to quiet the mind/still racing thoughts in preparation for meditation, so gentle yoga could certainly be helpful to quiet the mind in preparation for sleep as well.

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Carnhot wrote: »
    I must learn how!

Are you on the website or the app? Either way, there will be a symbol in the upper right corner of your post, click that to edit it.
  • jrodri0105
    jrodri0105 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
  • kshama2001
    Options
    kateyb94 wrote: »
    Been there done that for decades, blegh!

Reading usually puts me to sleep pretty quickly.

I've also found that getting several minutes of lots of very bright sunlight (or similar artificial light) after waking up helps make it easier to get to sleep at the end of the day. As well as getting rid of any light sources (including TV) in the evening that can screw up your body clock.

I found this book very helpful.
    http://www.amazon.com/Chronotherapy-Resetting-Inner-Alertness-Quality/dp/1583334726/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1437199211&sr=8-1&keywords=chronotherapy

Whenever people suggest reading I have to laugh at myself because I get really into whatever I read... when I was in 1st grade I stayed up till 11 (my bedtime was 8) reading The Wizard of Oz and got in HUGE trouble... things haven't changed much with my reading habits.

I read for pleasure and I read to put myself to sleep. The key to reading for sleep is not to chose something too exciting. I've also found that rereading something is better than a new book for which I do not know the plot twists and outcomes. I also don't like books with a lot of dialog, which I find not soothing.

I tend to read very quickly, but when I'm reading a descriptive passage about travel, my brain slows down to picture everything. Many passages in the Clan of the Cave Bear books are fabulous for this - Jean Auel goes on and on and on and on about the plants, which puts me right to sleep. My library system has these books.

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    OP -

You've gotten a lot of good advice (much of which I would second).

I, too, struggle with shutting off my brain at night sometimes. Anxiety is a wretched thing. I also have Seasonal Affective Disorder and that can throw my ability to sleep out the window, so I know how much this can suck.

Some things that work for me:

-Keeping a consistent routine before bed, including when I go to bed. If you simply can't go to bed at the same time each night due to an inconsistent work schedule, then try for doing your bedtime stuff in the same order and within the same time frame (ie: 1 hour before you lay down to sleep, you brush your teeth, wash your face, etc).

- Only sleeping in bed, not reading or doing other things during the day. Since you're in a studio, though, maybe try putting an extra blanket or something over your bed during the day and removing it at night. That might help give you a mental cue that it's time for sleep.

-Actively focus on pleasant things as you try to sleep. Redirect your thoughts to something neutral or positive if possible.

-Yoga helps clear my head since I really do focus on my breathing. I think in another thread someone mentioned some yoga routines that could be helpful for back issues, so definitely check those out and see how you do.

-Take something if you need to. I go with valerian root and that is usually enough to tip me over into sleep if I can keep my mind focused on positive stuff but my brain is just overly active. I don't like OTC pills since they leave me feeling groggy in the morning.

All the best to you!

~Lyssa
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Eye mask if light bothers you. Ear plugs if noise bothers you. Meditation CDs and music written to help you relax, better for you than TV.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I can not go to sleep without the TV on. Lying there in all that silence just makes me think too much lol

When I go to bed I turn on the tv and then set the timer so it automatically turns off. Usually 60 minutes, because 9 times out of 10 I'm asleep by then.