Exercise clothes?

Options
Currently I own no special exercise clothing, like those runner pants or sport tanks and such. Because my sports consisted of playing in a pool It never dawned on me to buy these clothes. I want something affordable but good quality and I don't know where to get said exercise clothes. Any pointers?

Replies

• AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    So I can't give you advice on stores because I probably live in a different part of the world.
    Anyway, I do suggest getting a good supportive exercise bra. Even if your chest isn't that big. It will make a lot of exercises a lot more comfortable.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    anywhere that does sports clothes

im in the uk and have technical clothing from asda, matalan, decathlon and from nike, new balance and adidas bought from an outlet mall

im on a budget so i buy from cheaper places at their regular prices and keep my eye on the other stores for the sales

i agree with aslsmile on getting a good sports bra. i buy the bra back type shock absorber as im limited in sizes and find they fit me well and then i buy a pull on sports type bra for added security
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Don't get gray tights or shorts

Bad things happen when you sweat.

If it looks tight and shiny, make sure it isn't nearly see thru.

More than once women have posted they did not know their panties color was quite visible in tight gray spandex. I workout with women on occasion and have heard the horror stories.

I wear 3/4 tights on leg day. With soccer shorts over them.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I have bought a few things from Target off their sale rack. They carry the Champion brand. I have been satisfied with them so far. Other than that...most stores will have an "Active" section. I always check out the sale racks. In some brands even the sale prices are more than I am willing to pay.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I love the Xersion brand from JC Penney's and you can usually catch it on sale. I have had some of that stuff for years and you can't wear it out! (Trust me, I've tried) Dunham's sporting goods has athletic wear on sale too. I highly recommend the UnderArmour Heat Gear 5 inch middy shorts if you are prone to your legs chaffing. They are the perfect length and stay put! Also, Enell bras are expensive but highly recommended. No need to wear two sports bras at once. I bought some of the shorts and Enell bras from Amazon new. Hopefully, this helps you find some stuff you need and like.
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Target, Wal-Mart, and Meijer all carry respectable but cheap workout clothing. If you need a really excellent and super-supportive sports bra, I'd suggest looking at past threads on MFP for brand recommendations, as different ones seem to work for different people. (If you only need moderate support, I'm a fan of the normal compression bras from Target and Meijer).

You can often get brand-name stuff (Nike etc) at Nordstrom Rack and TJ Maxx. Kohl's online has a HUGE selection, including a lot of plus size options.

Sports stores like Dick's, Sports Authority, and Lady Foot Locker will carry name brand stuff, but obviously more expensive. (That said, name brand sports clothes tend to last *forever*. I have 10+ year old Nike stuff in my weekly rotation.)

If you want to get good shoes for running, head to your local running store. They can help you sort through the crazy amount of options out there.

In terms of what to buy--try to avoid cotton. It chafes when it gets wet (sweat), and DOES NOT DRY. You get cold. Synthetics or wool are your friend.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Sports clothes are a national obsession. Figure out what your budget and style are and about any general clothing store stocks them. Target, Wal-Mart, and Meijer, Dick's, Sports Authority, and Lady Foot Locker, H&M, The Gap, Athleta, Amazon, Macy's, Burlington Coat Factory, you name it.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I work out in rags I won't wear anywhere. I run in them too while wearing a road workers vest. Wanna know why? Because I sweat like a hog.

Get some sweats at Walmart or even at the Salvation Army and work out in over sized old tees.
  • jillianedwards
    jillianedwards Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I get a lot of my stuff from the Outlet part of the Under Armour website (Their capris and shorts are my favorite). Also if you go to a thrift store not sure which ones you have there but i have gotten a couple of Lululemon things for pretty cheap!! It looks like you live in America which means you have a much better selection than us up here in Canada haha Walmart here has some pretty decent workout clothes too! The forever 21 workout shirts are pretty awesome and they seem to have a pretty good selection when i was visiting San Diego! Hope any of this made sense and was at least a little bit helpful haha
  • tianartoma2015
    tianartoma2015 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You guys are the best! I'll take into consideration the suggestions you gave me. I never knew so many clothing stores had their own "brand" of sports wear. It's all good info to have, thank you again!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I get most of my stuff at Target...also Costco when they have that kind of stuff.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I like the Danskin capri pants from Walmart. They're inexpensive and last me quite a while. I love the FILA tops from Kolh's, especially the racerback ones. And I love Danskin sports bras, also at Walmart.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Target works for me. Sports bras I have to be careful of how they sit or my back hurts but for real all my favorite things I got cheap at Target.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    you dont have to have special clothes, and if you think you do, you are looking for an excuse to fail (been there done that)

most of my stuff has come from walmart. leggings and tank tops is what i work out in (very forgiving in size, you have to lose a lot of weight before you have to buy new leggings! LOL!) ive also found tanks on the clearance racks at target that work well for me.

2 of my sports bras came from walmart and 2 i got off amazon.
  • Lifeonmars2015
    Lifeonmars2015 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    Sports Direct is my go to place, or even second hand from charity shops. After all your there to work out, not join a fashion parade
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Currently I own no special exercise clothing, like those runner pants or sport tanks and such. Because my sports consisted of playing in a pool It never dawned on me to buy these clothes. I want something affordable but good quality and I don't know where to get said exercise clothes. Any pointers?

I have gotten good yoga pants at Costco and my running shorts/sports bras at Marshalls, TJ Maxx, Kohls.
  • demoiselle2014
    demoiselle2014 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    you dont have to have special clothes, and if you think you do, you are looking for an excuse to fail (been there done that)

It is true that they are not necessary. I do find it psychologically useful to have special clothes for working out. I put them on in the morning first thing, and then I feel like my workout/jog is inevitable and already in progress.

Some things--like running--are more comfortable in a fabric that wicks rather than cotton, which will get soggy. Yoga is a little easier in tight clothing, so that during inversions your shirt doesn't fall over your face and so your pants don't pool around your knees when you put your legs up.

• h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    IMHO, brand names are not important, comfort and fit are. I found great pieces at Walmart, but got the best (for me) fitting sport bras from the Victoria Secret VSX series.. Just look around and try on different pieces. Chose your workout clothes (and shoes, btw..) according to your workouts. You don't want to pull down your shirt or sleeves all the time, or get caught up in some gym equipment. While lose fitting tops might be ok for running, you will find out quickly, why they won't work out for some yoga poses, like downward dog...
    Well fitted clothes will also work best for exercise classes, if your instructor is teaching correct posture. He/she simply won't be able to see what you are doing if you wear an oversized shirt.
    Personally, I do not like short shorts, because I don't want my skin to stick to the seats in the gym. Long yoga pants work for me, when I'm not running (danger of stepping on the hems...), but mostly, I wear capri-length leggins.

Happy training! :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,446 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I just get Old Navy, or Joe Fresh (but now not so keen on the Joe Fresh. They use good, thick fabric, but for some reason, their stuff pills at the seams after a few months of washing. I've never seen that before.)

The Old Navy workout pants, OTOH, have held up well (going on years for a few pieces).