home or gym?

Options
Do you prefer to work out at home or gym? why?

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Home, because if I physically had to put forth the effort to actually go somewhere to work out, there would be no working out happening. Ever.
  • Cruxthemystic
    Cruxthemystic Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I've done both and I prefer home. It's cheaper and I don't have to leave and go to another location to workout. With the selection of workout DVDs you can find something that clicks with you. I took up running and workout with kettlebells. Also on youtube is a ton of options for free. So you can try out anything from weight lifting to zumba.
  • unicornpoop
    unicornpoop Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I do both. My gym has classes and I won't leave a class but I will turn off a workout video. I run outside when it's nice, but do different stuff at the gym when I am not motivated to work out at home.
  • lripson28
    lripson28 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Definitely gym. It's my time to myself. If I stayed at home, I would find so many other things that needed to get done and I would never workout. Need to get away and focus on me.
  • chrisloveslife
    chrisloveslife Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I do both. Mostly body weight exercises at home, and the cardio equipment/classes at the gym. Plus once I'm at the gym, I'll spend more time there because I don't want people judging me for being there for 30 minutes.
  • lisaabenjamin
    lisaabenjamin Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I run outside because it's so much more interesting than pounding a treadmill! I'm lucky enough to live in the country side so that helps, I guess. It's also FREE!!!!!!!
  • wswilliams67
    wswilliams67 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Gym. I'm an extravert and feed off the energy from others. Plus trying to do a CrossFit WOD by yourself is a bit daunting.

That being said, I'm slowly building up my personal garage box for days when I want to get a little extra work in... or train my kids.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Home, because if I physically had to put forth the effort to actually go somewhere to work out, there would be no working out happening. Ever.

this
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I run outside because it's so much more interesting than pounding a treadmill! I'm lucky enough to live in the country side so that helps, I guess. It's also FREE!!!!!!!

this
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    "You Are Your Own Gym" mostly and some dumbell/kettlebell work - at home.
  • nessa2BFit
    nessa2BFit Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Both ... in the morning i get up at 5 am and enjoy doing my cardio i do 30 min on the elliptical then get ready for the day... in the afternoons if i were to try and do strength training or something at home there are to many distractions but if i go to the gym from work ( only 5 min away) and leave my phone in the car i get a great strength training in and then head home... i normally do this on t, th and then on sunday my husband goes with me. Although i only got the gym membership recently and only because he got a great deal thru his work. I just started heavy lifting and just don't have the money to buy the weights i need and the equipment.
  • jimcarey24
    Options
    Gym.. it's on the way home from work and the people around provide extra motivation. Plus, I know that if I try to work out at home all I end up doing is coming up with excuses why not to work out.
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Gym...it puts me in the right frame of mind, as I get too distracted at home. I just put my head phones on and get into my own little world. :smile:
  • grassette
    grassette Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    Both. Treadmill and exercycle at home, especially in the winter for this retired lady. Classes for Aqua-fit, Tai Chi and Square Dancing.
  • idwinter
    idwinter Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Gym mostly for the broader range of equipment available and heavier weights, there's no way I could reproduce that at home, nor would I want to. Also, as with Iripson, there are way too many distractions at home, and it'd be way too easy to cut my workout short as soon as I got a little tired.

That said, I certainly do bodyweight exercises at home sporadically, run outdoors if the weather is nice, or jump on a treadmill in my apartment complex's tiny gym.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Home, well work unit - got a fairly decent olympic weights setup with cage there.
    No waiting to use it (unless friends are over using it) and I can do work while resting between sets.
  • Mskina2
    Mskina2 Posts: 7
    Options
    Home. Both times I signed up for a gym it was like an epic fail. I would be committed for a little while and then stop going because I have to travel and we all know that 's a waste a money. Plus I would feel self conscious when I go to the gym thinking that someone (guy) is looking at my butt jiggle while I work out. No bueno.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Both - I like going to the gym to do my strength training and a little bit of cardio but I hate running inside so go running outside. I think if I worked out at home I find other things to do.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Outside for my runs. In the dojang for my Tae Kwon Do. Makes for a nice mix. :)
  • Rado_SVK
    Rado_SVK Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    The question is not what you prefer,the question is whats your goal and ambitions..sorry apologise but totally pointless thread..the answers should be clear even to the beginners.
    Edit: Okey that was maybe a little harsh sorry..my point is guys I quickly went through the posts and Im shocked how many of you say things like if you sign up in the gym its most likely you not gonna be consistent.so why are you even on this forums?You have to realise guys that if you want to achieve you have to step up the game.whatever your goals is,this internet forums and chatting to each other is not the real thing,its not what will make your achievements happen.Its you only that can make it happen..home workout is good,but not good enough..the benefits of the gym are that you will become part of it in some time,you will go there make friends ever little step towards your goal will become more and more rewarding,the more friends you make the more motivation you will get.from a beginner you bill become well recognised member and feel really welcomed and happy..thats the reaction to the ladies worrying about looking silly while working out...if a dude stares at you,it means he likes what he see and take it as a compliment :) everybody have to start from somewhere and if a skinny guy is afraid to join a gym becuase he is skinny then he failed already and will never make it where he wanted.