Comfort eaters unite to beat the urge

Options
hi, I am a comfort eater and sugar junkie. I get the urge to eat high calorie, low nutrient food when I feel stressed, sad, anxious or even just stuck! Although I eat little treats at other times, these are usually more sensible portions, but when the comfort eating urge comes on it's different; I become a gannet and gorge on crisps, haribo, ice cream, chocolate etc, and it undermines my weight goals and makes me feel even worse afterwards. When the urge comes on it can be so strong, it's impossible to resist, and it feels like it will make things okay, ease the pain, comfort me. This is only temporary and afterwards I feel much worse so it's a bad habit I'd like to kick. I heard that comfort eaters like myself have the best chance of beating their habit if they group together and motivate each other. This is what I'd like to do, and I am hoping other self confessed comfort eaters will join me, so we can support each other to stay strong when the overwhelming tidal urge bears down on us! I am not ashamed and neither should anyone else be. Comfort eating, or binge eating, is a coping mechanism and when we enter fight or flight mode, our body is telling us to reach for the high calorie food. It's tough, and in a climate of unhealthy food excess, it's natures little joke because we are fighting our own inbuilt survival mechanism, even if it is counterproductive in the long run. I want to find the will power and determination to resist the short term food traps when I feel crappy, and embrace the long term goal of a healthy body and mind. Who's in? Let's do it together (that sounds SO cheesy, lol). Let's do it!

Replies

• kangaspratt
    kangaspratt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi, I like your post....I'm an evening binge eater.
  • goosiegoose
    goosiegoose Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm all for this! During the week (when I tend to be sleep-deprived) my emotional and physical energy levels tend to plummet at around three in the afternoon. Even if I can take a short nap at around that time, I often wake up and plow through a pile of tortilla chips and cheese. Every once in a while, I manage to go fo a short run instead, and that seems to fix my energy problem! I'd like to focus on getting enough sleep, eating enough protein and healthy fat during the first part of the day, and telling myself to get my but moving in the afternoon, all so that I can avoid these weird binges. Many years ago I struggled with more severe emotional eating, snd this feels like a vestige of those old habits. Great suggestion!
  • mia4359
    mia4359 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am in! I've been going nuts with binging lately and I really would like to get it under control because it's making weight loss impossible and weight gain inevitable.. Let's help each other !!
  • Jubee13
    Jubee13 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I've had a very stressful summer and have gained 10 pounds since April, mainly from binge comfort eating. It is so upsetting because I was at my goal weight and loved being there. I started back with healthy eating today and already I feel so much better.
    I don't know why I binge when depressed and stressed. It only makes me more depressed and stressed! Maybe this would help - make a pledge to not binge for X number of days, then check back in with each other and see how we're doing. I did this with sugar (no added sugar for 21 days) and it really helped me to have a goal like that. We can do this! I want to make it a habit to NOT binge when I'm tired, stressed, or depressed. Now it's the first thing I do. I need to make a change!
  • zk2015
    zk2015 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! Wow, thanks for responding! I've just munched 5 jelly babies, but after reading all of your motivation and honesty, I'm putting the bag away. That's the power of the group approach!