P90x Yoga for weight loss?

Options
Have tried it before and really liked the workout, but am wondering if it has helped anyone see results before I purchase it. Thanks!

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Have fun with yoga. Do remember that weight loss happens in the kitchen. :)
  • SavannahStClair
    SavannahStClair Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I think that if you like it, you should do it. It can be hard to find forms of exercise that are enjoyable. I agree with the above post that weight loss happens in the kitchen, but exercise can provide tons of benefits as well and if you like it, I say go for it!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    In the 20 years I've been practicing yoga, I've never met an overweight regular practitioner of power-style yoga (Ashtanga, Jivamukti, Vinyasa.)

I don't have the upper arm strength for a complete power yoga style flow myself, but other forms of yoga have certainly helped me with emotional eating.

@tet86962 you didn't mention how experienced you were with yoga. I share this reviewer's concern about yoga beginners jumping into P90X yoga:

http://yoga.about.com/od/yogavideos/fr/P90x-Yoga-Review.htm

...The Problem Areas

Some of Horton's language is not what we are used to hearing in yoga classes, where the teacher usually avoids telling us to push ourselves, and for good reason. This is how injuries happen. Alignment-wise, I saw some wonky arm positions in shoulderstand, which is an important pose to get right since it places the neck in a vulnerable position. Though the possibility of using blankets as a prop is mentioned, it would have been nice to have shown that variation. ...Savasana is included, but only lasts one minute, possibly because that is the longest Horton can bear to stop talking.

If you were an experienced yoga student looking for a pretty intense power yoga home workout, I wouldn't have any problem recommending Yoga X....It makes me a little uncomfortable that this workout is getting into the hands of lots of yoga beginners, since some of the poses are best learned in a classroom setting where you can get plenty of alignment feedback from your teacher. Horton teaches in a knowledgeable, respectful way, but he's not in your living room giving you thoughtful adjustments.

vlcsnap-2010-02-25-22h02m31s103.png

Plow from Shoulderstand
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Doing P90x I have called Tony Horton every name in the book.
  • tet86962
    tet86962 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    In the 20 years I've been practicing yoga, I've never met an overweight regular practitioner of power-style yoga (Ashtanga, Jivamukti, Vinyasa.)

I don't have the upper arm strength for a complete power yoga style flow myself, but other forms of yoga have certainly helped me with emotional eating.

@tet86962 you didn't mention how experienced you were with yoga. I share this reviewer's concern about yoga beginners jumping into P90X yoga:

http://yoga.about.com/od/yogavideos/fr/P90x-Yoga-Review.htm

...The Problem Areas

Some of Horton's language is not what we are used to hearing in yoga classes, where the teacher usually avoids telling us to push ourselves, and for good reason. This is how injuries happen. Alignment-wise, I saw some wonky arm positions in shoulderstand, which is an important pose to get right since it places the neck in a vulnerable position. Though the possibility of using blankets as a prop is mentioned, it would have been nice to have shown that variation. ...Savasana is included, but only lasts one minute, possibly because that is the longest Horton can bear to stop talking.

If you were an experienced yoga student looking for a pretty intense power yoga home workout, I wouldn't have any problem recommending Yoga X....It makes me a little uncomfortable that this workout is getting into the hands of lots of yoga beginners, since some of the poses are best learned in a classroom setting where you can get plenty of alignment feedback from your teacher. Horton teaches in a knowledgeable, respectful way, but he's not in your living room giving you thoughtful adjustments.

vlcsnap-2010-02-25-22h02m31s103.png

Plow from Shoulderstand

Thank you for your advice!! I did really enjoy it; I just am a person that has never much enjoyed exercise. I feel as though if I am going to spend my time doing something, I want it to be beneficial to my body!