TDEE Seems too high

Options
Hi guys, greetings from South Africa!

I’m having some difficulty with my TDEE vs Calories and I need some help. I have checked out the Sticky post on calculating TDEE and it all makes sense but I feel as though if I went by the suggested calories I should eat that I would balloon. Here are my stats:
Male
29 years old
179cm tall
100kg
20% body fat
I train with a personal trainer 3 times a week (pushing on 4 – usually by myself). We do strength training mostly with some exercises in between sets to keep heart rate moderate throughout sessions. Legs day usually heart rate stays moderate-high throughout.

I calculated my BMR to be about 2100 and my TDEE to be about 2900(went for between Light Activity and Moderate Activity)

This means that to lose weight I should eat at about 2320cal per day (TDEE - 20%) to lose fat.

My Goal is to be around 15% body fat in the medium-term, closer to 12% within a year.

My questions:
1) Is my activity level correct for that type of training?

2) Should I be eating back the calories I burn on training days? On a training day I have roughly speculated that I burn about 300cal. Should I be eating 2620cal on training days?

3) I enjoy going out and partying with friends on the weekend and sometimes I can eat/drink almost double my calories in an evening (working on this). How does this affect my calculations? Am I essentially dividing a days worth of calories over 7 days to give a higher total for each day?

4) I find it hard to believe that up to this point I have essentially been eating 2900cal per day. I feel that if I ate this much calories every day, with weekly, that I would balloon! Is this number really correct? What am I not seeing?

Thanks for the help and thank you for this great resource

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,564 Member
    Options
    Try it for a month, log accurately (this may mean using a food scale to weigh everything you eat), and adjust if you aren't meeting your goal. As for point 2, no, as TDEE accounts for exercise calories already, unlike MFP's goals. And point 3, you can save some calories for the weekend if you'd like.
  • JDBIsaacs
    JDBIsaacs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks Malibu, yeah to be honest, the more I think about it the more it makes sense that it must be that I average out at about 2900 per day, if you look at it for a week or a month even. Coz there are some days I will eat exactly on 2100cal and others I will eat over or under it. So it fluctuates. Thanks for the tips.

Does that activity multiplier sound right for that kind of training?