Nothing is working

Options
Hi guys! I really need some opinions here. I'm 5'8" and 161 lbs and a pear shape, so most of my weight is on my legs and bum. In May I finally got out of a boot from a stress fracture in my foot and since then have really struggled with loosing weight. When I was in a cast I didn't gain any weight but I only consumed about 1000 or less calories a day. In June I began to consume 1200 calories a day and started cross training between biking and swimming as well as building up lost muscle in my thighs and calfs. However it's been almost two months since I started exercising again and I fluctuate between 158 and 162 and I can not loose weight!! I definitely have fat all over my body and I even am trying to cycle between 1500 calorie week and high exercise (500+ calories burned when working out) and 1200 calorie week (200 calories burned while working out) and nothing seems to be working. When I workout on the machines and swimming I try to do HIIT but I just don't know what to do! Please advice would be appreciated :)

Replies

• cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and my doctor gave me a goal weight of 160 lbs. I think you are thinner than you think you are. Talk to your doctor about your weight and fitness goals.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing weight you aren't in a deficit. Exercise is for fitness, you can't out-exercise a bad diet. If you aren't weighing every thing you eat and drink with a food scale you could be eating way more than you realize.
  • 3b1p
    3b1p Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    You're probably not eating enough for your activity. You're consuming 1200 calories, but your body needs fuel for your biking and swimming.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    greta588 wrote: »
    You're probably not eating enough for your activity.
    This wouldn't cause her not to lose weight.

• rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    If you aren't losing weight you aren't in a deficit. Exercise is for fitness, you can't out-exercise a bad diet. If you aren't weighing every thing you eat and drink with a food scale you could be eating way more than you realize.

This.
    You probably are not in a calorie deficit. How do you measure your food/drink?
    It is sooo easy to eat more than you think you are.
  • rushfive
    rushfive Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    You're probably not eating enough for your activity. You're consuming 1200 calories, but your body needs fuel for your biking and swimming.

Not this.
    You do not eat more to lose weight.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    I'm 5'8" and my doctor gave me a goal weight of 160 lbs. I think you are thinner than you think you are. Talk to your doctor about your weight and fitness goals.

What has your weight got to do with this?

Op, are you truly in a calorie deficit, are you logging consistently and accurately? Your diary is closed, so difficult to advise further.
  • 3b1p
    3b1p Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    When you don't eat enough calories your body goes into starvation mode slowing your metabolism. There's a reason why people shouldn't eat under 1200.
    @AliaHaddad, figure out your TDEE and subtract 500. Your weight loss will be slower since you don't have a lot to lose.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    When you don't eat enough calories your body goes into starvation mode slowing your metabolism. There's a reason why people shouldn't eat under 1200.
    @AliaHaddad, figure out your TDEE and subtract 500. Your weight loss will be slower since you don't have a lot to lose.

Starvation mode doesn't work like that. You'll still lose at 1200, but there are health concerns (muscle loss, fatigue, hair loss, hormonal changes) that come along with eating low.

OP, can you open your diary?
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    That's not how it works. That not how any of this works.

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

Check out the Minnesota Starvation Experiment. Subjects who were actually starved had a metabolic slow down of only 15%. The slowdown can easily be reversed as well by eating more. There is no starvation mode that magically switches on when you eat only 1199 calories in one day.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

Check out the Minnesota Starvation Experiment. Subjects who were actually starved had a metabolic slow down of only 15%. The slowdown can easily be reversed as well by eating more. There is no starvation mode that magically switches on when you eat only 1199 calories in one day.

Took the words out of my mouth. More people need to read that.