Running and Icing

Options
unfortunately I'm not talking about icing on top of a cake

I am training for my first half marathon. For the last couple weeks, my shin splints have been killing my long runs, and my long runs at this point are only 5 or 6 miles (I do wear compression sleeves). 3-4 miles I can complete with no problem and no pain. This morning, after my 6 mile run, I iced my shins and knees for about 10ish minutes.

Should I ice longer? Do y'all think I should I get some new compression sleeves for my shins? I've had this pair for about a year. Do they get less... compression-y? I had pretty bad shin splints when I first started running, but my compression sleeves (I thought) totally took care of them. :/

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest a break to let yhe injury recover. Icing doesn't heal the injury.

The most common causes of shin splints are shoes being inappropriate or lifed out and gait.

How old are your shoes and how long have you been running?
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    ffbrown25 wrote: »
    unfortunately I'm not talking about icing on top of a cake

I am training for my first half marathon. For the last couple weeks, my shin splints have been killing my long runs, and my long runs at this point are only 5 or 6 miles (I do wear compression sleeves). 3-4 miles I can complete with no problem and no pain. This morning, after my 6 mile run, I iced my shins and knees for about 10ish minutes.

Should I ice longer? Do y'all think I should I get some new compression sleeves for my shins? I've had this pair for about a year. Do they get less... compression-y? I had pretty bad shin splints when I first started running, but my compression sleeves (I thought) totally took care of them. :/

I second the above. You can ice 20 on/20 off, but honestly - if you've had them that long you need to look at what's causing them.
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest a break to let yhe injury recover. Icing doesn't heal the injury.

The most common causes of shin splints are shoes being inappropriate or lifed out and gait.

How old are your shoes and how long have you been running?

I probably won't be able to make myself take a break from running :/

I can get my shoes checked out, though. I've been running for about a year and a half, but only started going over 4 miles a few of months ago. My shoes are a little less than a year old. I think I'll look into getting some new compression sleeves, too... maybe full socks? I don't know. Why, shins! Whyyyy
  • cheshirecatastrophe
    cheshirecatastrophe Posts: 1,395 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    You should probably replace your shoes. Every 500 miles or 6 months is a good *general* benchmark. For me, when things start going wrong with my knees/shins/etc, it's a good sign that the shoes have worn out. (I usually get 250-300 miles out of a pair of shoes. Sucks.)

The other big cause of shin splints is toomuchtoosoonitis and insufficient recovery. Has anything changed in the last couple of weeks? Are you running significantly farther or more often? Faster?

Be very, very careful with shin splints. If you notice the pain starting to focus on one spot instead of all over your shins, the stress reaction is progressing into a stress fracture. Boom. You're out for ~2 months, possibly in a moon boot, no questions asked, no protests allowed.

Is there any cross training you could do now to give your poor bones and muscles a break for a week or so? Cycling or elliptical? Pool running?
  • ffbrown25
    ffbrown25 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    You should probably replace your shoes. Every 500 miles or 6 months is a good *general* benchmark. For me, when things start going wrong with my knees/shins/etc, it's a good sign that the shoes have worn out. (I usually get 250-300 miles out of a pair of shoes. Sucks.)

The other big cause of shin splints is toomuchtoosoonitis and insufficient recovery. Has anything changed in the last couple of weeks? Are you running significantly farther or more often? Faster?

Ahhh. Yep to both. It's so frustrating, because I can feel that my muscles could run a lot faster and longer than I'm even going right now, but these effing effing shin splints won't allow it. Maybe I'll just take out one of my longer runs? Would that be enough??? How much of a decrease are we talking here?
    Be very, very careful with shin splints. If you notice the pain starting to focus on one spot instead of all over your shins, the stress reaction is progressing into a stress fracture. Boom. You're out for ~2 months, possibly in a moon boot, no questions asked, no protests allowed.

Is there any cross training you could do now to give your poor bones and muscles a break for a week or so? Cycling or elliptical? Pool running?

:'( Not really. Running is all I've been doing for the last year. I can definitely switch my focus to weights for a week, but the thought of doing NO RUNNING for a WEEK makes me queasy...
  • Samstan101
    Samstan101 Posts: 699 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Seriously, take a break and let the injury heal. You are risking not being able to run for months by continuing. Better to take a couple of weeks now and recover whilst cross training (swimming or cycling are good) than face months on the side line. I know how frustrating it is - I'm currently sidelined with an Achilles injury (did my first run for 2 weeks today) but better to recover than run in pain.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    ffbrown25 wrote: »
    I probably won't be able to make myself take a break from running :/

Your choice, a couple of weeks now or let the injury get worse to the extent you can't walk without pain.
    I can get my shoes checked out, though. I've been running for about a year and a half, but only started going over 4 miles a few of months ago. My shoes are a little less than a year old. I think I'll look into getting some new compression sleeves, too... maybe full socks? I don't know. Why, shins! Whyyyy

I'd recommend replacing your shoes, as identified above. As mine approach 450 miles I start getting more aches, and by 500 they're unusable.

fwiw there is no compelling evidence that compression sleeves have any meaningful effect in use. They do appear to have some benefit in recovery.