New here - disabled - plus sized

this is going to be torture for me as I can't exercise due to being disabled. I weigh 17st however I was a size 6-8 weighing 8st 4 years ago before I became poorly. :( x

Replies

• truelight_photo_craig
    truelight_photo_craig Posts: 347 Member
    Exercise is not mandatory for weight loss, but you have to be serious and honest about your calorie intake/deficit. If it's ok to ask, what sort of disability?
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Hello. I am disabled. I wanted to tell you that it is possible to loose weight. I am doing it again for the 3rd (and last) time. The first time I lost weight i did nothing by watch my calories and I dropped 30lbs without exercises. Don't think because you are disabled that there is nothing you can do. You have to find what you can do and do it. Even if it is just clapping your hands, moving is important. When i could walk from exercise I was never able to go more than 2 miles before every muscle in my legs would lock up. Before I had to give up walking as exercise I would take my cane and go around my neighborhood for 1.4 miles. Now when I exercise I either do chair workouts designed for senior citizens or I get in the pool. Of course I am not going to burn the same calories as an able bodied person but I am doing what I can and making my body stronger and my life better.

Feel free to add me as a friend and message me if you feel comfortable doing so. Being disabled doesn't' mean that you CANT do anything. There may be one thing that you absolutely cannot do. That is reality. Find an alternative. We are disabled, not unabled.

I wish you luck. Know that you are not alone.
  • atilda62
    atilda62 Posts: 6 Member
    Hi there! I am brand new to this site... Just joined today. I too, am very plus sized. Although I'm not "technically" disabled, it is very hard for me to move my body. You can most definitely do some sort of exercise. Are you able to sit in a chair and move your arms and legs, to get your heart rate up? I found some great YouTube videos, on "chair" exercises. That's how I'll be starting out, being I have a bad back and knees, and a lot of wt. to lose. Feel free to befriend me, if you like. You take care, hon. One step at a time! ~Kathy