Chronic Pain & Weight Loss

Options
I'm just wondering if anyone else here deals with chronic pain like I do. I have a rare congenital carpal fusion, hypermobility type Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome, chronic unexplained headaches and migraines, and am being tested for early onset (I'm 24) arthritis and for fibromyalgia. My exercise abilities are low, I cope with food. I lost nearly 60 pounds between late 2014 and early this year and I've gained it all back and then some. I'm currently at my highest weight of 232.7 as of this morning. I'm just looking for chronic pain warriors for support as I've sort of isolated myself since I broke up with my fiancé and moved back in with my parents. Thank you.

Replies

• fitnesspal1256
    fitnesspal1256 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    The only thing I deal with are migraines, but I totally understand the coping with food! You can lose if you want to though :) Have faith! And also try and shift your coping patterns to something other than food. I know for me to stop using food to cope, I normally craft things instead and it makes me feel better. Don't give up! Good luck!!
  • peachchii
    peachchii Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello :)
    I deal with critic pain also . I have a ten year old son with high functioning autism and I room mate with my 81 year old mom. I recently had revised triple Arthrodeasis ( surgery from when I was 11 the stalled were coming through the bone ) it's been over a year since surgery and I'm just beginning to do physical therapy and walk as muc as arthritis allowed me. I feel like giving up daily but my little boy keeps me going . It feels like there's all this energy inside waiting burst forth :( and my pain blocks it. However there is always hope !!!!! And we're not alone. If you need a weight loss buddy I do to?!
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Thank you both for your responses! I'm on day four of a really bad pain episode and feeling really discouraged.
  • peachchii
    Options
    Does your doc have you on any pain medicine ? Only over the counter that helps me is IB profhin( sp? ) since a it's an anti inflammatory it helps with the swelling and joints. But I have to eat a little something so it don't up set tummy.
    You can persevere girl ;)
    Center yourself meditate, you deffently know your alive! I'm so sorry you must endure this pain :(
    I'm praying for you and sending positive vibes your way.
    Big tender hugs sent your way

• peachchii
    Options
    4w61tkydblyx.jpg
  • peachchii
    Options
    Just curious did they put you on topamax? It's for sezures migraine ad more. when I was on it. It really helped. I had to stop taking it cause I got nose bleeds .
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I have hyperflexibility in my joints, the worst in my hips as well as IBS [Irritable Bowel Syndrome] and when the two come together...whew. I do not want to be at that party. I've also had migraines in the past as a teen, and still get them from time to time as an adult so I get you.

My best advice? Yoga. I poo pooed it for years because I have front and back hyperflexibility in my hips but minimal rotation that leaves me in agony because my pelvis is out of line (right hip is higher than the left). My teacher, Lorraine, is brilliant and devising poses to help strengthen the weak joints without putting too much stress on my knees (which turn inward because of over correction of my feet as a child). Start small and work your way up. Walk a little bit each day, nothing to set off an attack, but just so your body can come accustomed to it.

I use Mefenamic Acid for my joint pain because it's anti-inflammatory (and strangely a period medication).

I know it sucks that we can't do as much as 'healthy' people, but we can do some. We just have to figure out how. Plus a lot of weight loss is food related (Abs are 85% made in the kitchen is the saying?) so just because it hurts now, don't think you aren't doing good for your body.
  • bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Peach, I used to be on Topamax, but it caused really bad irritability and I was taken off. I'm currently on gabapentin, peroxicam, and I take turmeric capsules and drink joint health tea.

glassofroses, thank you for the advice! I have to be very careful with yoga because of my wrists and left hip, but I have some DVDs for gentle yoga that I will start up again. I can always modify it for my abilities so I don't sublux or dislocate or cause further pain/injury. I also like to walk. I go to the track outside on nice days and to the gym on the treadmill on bad weather days. I have heat intolerance so I have to be careful not to overwork myself.

I do need to focus on eating healthier. It's hard right now because I had to move back in with my parents and I have no money so I'm at their mercy for food choices.

• Gogohobbs
    Gogohobbs Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have elders Danlos that has really affected my pelvis.. Been in a bad pain cycle for 8 weeks.. Looking for friends
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Almost everything you mentioned tends to react well to exercise. The trick is to get moving safely in the first place.

Someone already suggested yoga.
    Water aerobics or deep water aerobics can also be helpful (especially great for those of us who can't tolerate the heat)
    Can you ride a bike?
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,036 Member
    Options
    Chronic pain is the worst. But you have to keep moving. I use nsaids and heat/ice. There are several low impact machines and exercises you can do. I like the elliptical and recombant bike. You can also you a balance ball, do yoga, water aerobics, etc. Whatever you find that works best for you. Just don't give up. The benefits outweigh the risks! If you find yourself not able to do it one day, that's ok too. There is always tomorrow!
  • hazeleyez26
    hazeleyez26 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I struggle with chronic pain too... Daily headaches, lots of migraines and body pain. It's been a struggle and can be very depressing. I think it's important to not give up. I want to try harder to pick better food choices. I started walking more the last couple of months, but now that the weather is getting colder I'm not sure what I will do. Hang in there.. All we can do is take it one small step at a time.
  • stacylperry
    stacylperry Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Wow, and I totally thought I was so alone in this.
    I've been fighting with severe chronic migraines every day for the past 5 years, then recently received news I have arthritis and FIBROMYALGIA. My blood work came back HYPO-THYROID as well. No wonder I'm not feeling good. No wonder I'm struggling to get anything done. And I'm going have to agree with the other posts, a little bit of exercise everyday is the best thing for us. Even when we don't think we can, we try again. Never Give Up. Stacy P

• bodymindmusic
    bodymindmusic Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Try going all natural, get all the food chemicals out of your body. Our bodies are not meant to be laden with chemicals, preservatives, additives, etc. get all the non-natural things out of your body and start replacing with real food nutrition. If you are a processed food eater (most of your food comes from a box or a bag or goes in the microwave) then your body is screaming to you that it is being poisoned. Pain is a signal to us that something is not right. Recurring Headaches are a sign (most of the time) that something is not right in your body. When did this all start? Go back and dig into it deeper. Try accupuncture.
  • rightsensible
    rightsensible Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Going all natural isn't going to help. Accupuncture only works as a placebo. Can we not get into victim blaming here? Some people have health issues, and there is no magical cure to help it, like just simply eliminating processed foods. Anytime you put food into a blender you are processing it. The best thing for her to do is to continue taking advice from her doctor, and perhaps trying gentle exercises, like yoga, that was suggested earlier, and continuing with physical therapy.
  • hazeleyez26
    hazeleyez26 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I agree that natural foods and trying to stay away from processed foods can help. It may or may not take the pain away.. But it sure can help.

• shellinut
    shellinut Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have MS and for the past 2 months I have been in a big time flare up. I go in for an MRI on Nov 2 but until then I am just in lots of pain. I am in a numbing tingling pain from my waist down and can't exercise. After my MRI my dr will re-evaluate my current meds and will most likely put me on a round of IV steroids which always makes me gain 10-15 lbs just from the steroids. I always have MS pain but when I am having a relapse it just gets worse. You guys are def not alone in this!!!!!
  • ohmyllama
    ohmyllama Posts: 161 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Hello! You're definitely not alone. I have lupus with very severe muscle pain and daily migraines. My migraine frequency and intensity has decreased A LOT since I began working out every morning!! I'm currently having a muscle flare up, but I know it'll go down eventually.

Just don't let the pain stop you!! :)

All-natural did nothing for me, just saying. You know, sometimes people do have a legitimate ailment. My migraines and lupus were triggered from multiple accidents and traumatic brain injuries.