Whats the most Burned

Options
So today I literally woke up being active and stayed that way. I deep cleaned my house and Push mowed my lawn for three hours. This was the first time I was actually able to track my calories burned with a fitness band and a HRM. I know that these things can be a little off but it told me I burned 2392calories the most I have ever been able to track. So I am wondering what has been the most you have burned in a day?

Replies

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are only good for steady state cardio. They aren't meant to give you calorie burns for cleaning your house or mowing the lawn.
  • Pittleydink
    Pittleydink Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I burn a good 3,000 calories or more per day on days that I exercise.
  • ljk0615
    ljk0615 Posts: 160 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've gotten as high as 2800 from my zip. That was a day that I was steadily active, including working out at the gym for an hour and a half and then walking 2 miles in the evening. I definitely just use the burn as a rough estimate but from my idea of my TDEE, I think it's fairly accurate. I'm 5'7" and 160 btw, prob between 170-180 then.
  • prettyleelee
    prettyleelee Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Heart rate monitors are only good for steady state cardio. They aren't meant to give you calorie burns for cleaning your house or mowing the lawn.

I would think push mowing is steady movement. Also scrubbing would be steady as well? Am I correct?
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Don't think this day was accurate:
    dqh27120pxuh.png
  • prettyleelee
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    dqh27120pxuh.png

Wow yeah maybe.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    dqh27120pxuh.png

This makes me want to get back to my FitBit. Although I often felt it was seriously overestimating my burns. I was getting around 2800/day on work days. Granted I'm on my feet and walking for 8 hours, but I doubt that it would be anywhere near that considering the rest of the day was on my butt.

OP, these trackers are estimates, and are notoriously off for most daily activities. While it is motivating to see these numbers, I wouldn't put much faith into them.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,137 Member
    Options
    So I am wondering what has been the most you have burned in a day?

I'm a long distance cyclist.

Probably the most calories I burned in a day would have been on the 24-hour time trial I did in 2006.

I covered 462.4 km in 24 hours.

So, using the calculation that we burn 100 cal for every 5 km while cycling ... that's 9248 cal. :)

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Probably the most calories I burned in a day would have been on the 24-hour time trial I did in 2006.

So, using the calculation that we burn 100 cal for every 5 km while cycling ... that's 9248 cal. :)

Massive burn off!

Impressive. I burnt 3500 on a fast 40 miles yesterday At 19.7 mph average

Cycling is a great sport. You can make it a relaxing ride with friends, a personal challenge race, a competitive event, and it all is great fitness

I strongly recommend cycling as a lifestyle hobby to a new fitness person.

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    So today I literally woke up being active and stayed that way. I deep cleaned my house and Push mowed my lawn for three hours. This was the first time I was actually able to track my calories burned with a fitness band and a HRM. I know that these things can be a little off but it told me I burned 2392calories the most I have ever been able to track. So I am wondering what has been the most you have burned in a day?

Not a little off ...massively off

HRM is for steady state cardio only
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

Massive burn off!

Impressive. I burnt 3500 on a fast 40 miles yesterday At 19.7 mph average

Cycling is a great sport. You can make it a relaxing ride with friends, a personal challenge race, a competitive event, and it all is great fitness

I strongly recommend cycling as a lifestyle hobby to a new fitness person.

Back in those days ... when I was heavily into long distance cycling (2000-2007) ... I was also very slender. I deliberately gained some weight in the winter so that I would have a bit to work with once the season started. And by the end of the season, when I was doing the biggest rides, I was usually underweight. It was really difficult to eat enough.

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    I'm a bodybuilder with a bike. Never gonna be light enough for super long rides. I will hit a metric Century come fall. That is kind of long.

It is a great hobby for anyone.

Body composition people are on bikes quite a bit.

There are moms out pulling baby bike strollers.

To the point of the OP, there are so many ways to make fitness a fun lifestyle and not drudgery.

And oh yeah... I never use MFP calorie burn numbers as gospel. Probably generous or I have a chill metabolism. I eat back maybe half of my credited calories
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    HRM's are for steady state of cardio and even then they aren't perfect. Pushing a lawn mower and cleaning could be tiring to some, but its hardly a cardio activity. Go run miles, swim, or jump rump for an hour and you will see a big difference between that and mowing a lawn. That cal burn you read is massively off.

*Edit to add that it doesn't mean you didn't burn calories, just not the amount a HRM would read.
  • prettyleelee
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    HRM's are for steady state of cardio and even then they aren't perfect. Pushing a lawn mower and cleaning could be tiring to some, but its hardly a cardio activity. Go run miles, swim, or jump rump for an hour and you will see a big difference between that and mowing a lawn. That cal burn you read is massively off.

*Edit to add that it doesn't mean you didn't burn calories, just not the amount a HRM would read.

You should push a lawn for hours it takes almost 3 hours to do mine. I do run miles at a time and I can tell you I am not nearly as tired as I am after pushing my lawn mower.

I am not saying my calories weren't off yesterday. However never underestimate pushing a 2.5 acres of lawn or scrubbing walls and floors for hours.

Now real question as long as you are keeping a steady upbeat heart rate isn't that all that matters?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Am I correct?

No
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Now real question as long as you are keeping a steady upbeat heart rate isn't that all that matters?

For what? Calorie burn? No.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Adding my voice to the no ...that's not correct, sorry
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    So many inflated burns in this thread. HRMs are not accurate for caloric estimates from lawn mowing and house cleaning. 87.5 calories per mile from cycling is inflated as well unless that person is averaging almost 400 watts of constant output ... well beyond what Tour de France riders produce.
  • Machka9
    Options
    So many inflated burns in this thread. HRMs are not accurate for caloric estimates from lawn mowing and house cleaning. 87.5 calories per mile from cycling is inflated as well unless that person is averaging almost 400 watts of constant output ... well beyond what Tour de France riders produce.

100 cal for every 5 km = approx. 100 cal for 3 miles ... or 33.33 calories/mile.

40 cal/mile is a fairly common calorie estimate, but even that has come under question. More recently, I've heard 35 cal/mile ... and 30 cal/mile ... and even as low as 25 cal/mile.

Meanwhile, I'll stick with the 100 cal/5 km (33.33 cal/mile). It seems to work for me. :)

• fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Longest single workout burn is probably when I do a 10km swim in the pool. ~2300kCal.