This Chart Shows People with the Same BMI May Look Different

Options

Replies

• zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    BMI is completely flawed and might work well for some percentage of the population, but makes no sense fundamentally bc it presupposes height is a more deterministic factor as to a healthy body weight than anything else.

Wrist circumference for instance is a better criteria to consider.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Yup at maintenance and my BMI is 24

• zaxx1953
    Options
    Every single running back in the B10, obese as hell, lol.

• hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    People have turned bmi into something it was never meant to be. You can't fault the hammer if people are trying to use it like screwdriver.
  • zaxx1953
    Options
    Why have a BMI in the first place?

Why not judge each actual case on its own merits.

The whole idea is deeply flawed, but if you're going to create some mindless table, try using a better set of criteria including wrist and ankle circumference.
  • 123user456
    123user456 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    zaxx1953 wrote: »

The whole idea is deeply flawed, but if you're going to create some mindless table, try using a better set of criteria including wrist and ankle circumference.
    djm0wjgliaap.jpg

• annette_15
    annette_15 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I mean.. not to be rude, but you certainly dont LOOK healthy, even if you might be... so I can see why your doctor is concerned
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

You have me curious, what do ankle and wrist measurements have to tell us? I've not read that before?
  • zaxx1953
    Options

You have me curious, what do ankle and wrist measurements have to tell us? I've not read that before?

Generally those measurements speak to the frame size/bone thickness/build of people. These factors affect body weight more than height often.
  • RonRoff
    RonRoff Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    mokaiba wrote: »
    Im 35.3 BMI. I think I look more like between over weight and class I. Hell, from the front you can even see where my abs are/would be.

I can do 100 situps in two minutes, easily do 20 pullups, bench 200lbs, squat 200lbs, and bicycle (bad knees, cant run) 6 miles in 30 minutes all while looking like a fat slob. yet, that 35 makes my doctor say im unhealthy.

I think you're looking a things a little bit more positive than they actually are. You may have a reasonable condition, your strength is average for someone that works out. But you cannot deny that you're pretty overweight. (you are trying to lose 38 pounds, so i'm pretty sure you are aware of that)

When i was your posture* i figured i had enough of this crap and wanted to lose all of it, for my mobility, agility, self-respect and basically for my future.

Anyway, i wish you good luck in your journey, i hope you will shed that weight and feel even fitter!

*here's my 100 days post with pictures where i started at 34.1 bmi, http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176614/100-days-of-mfp#latest
  • zaxx1953
    Options
    RonRoff wrote: »
    Im 35.3 BMI. I think I look more like between over weight and class I. Hell, from the front you can even see where my abs are/would be.

I can do 100 situps in two minutes, easily do 20 pullups, bench 200lbs, squat 200lbs, and bicycle (bad knees, cant run) 6 miles in 30 minutes all while looking like a fat slob. yet, that 35 makes my doctor say im unhealthy.

I think you're looking a things a little bit more positive than they actually are. You may have a reasonable condition, your strength is average for someone that works out. But you cannot deny that you're pretty overweight. (you are trying to lose 38 pounds, so i'm pretty sure you are aware of that)

When i was your posture* i figured i had enough of this crap and wanted to lose all of it, for my mobility, agility, self-respect and basically for my future.

Anyway, i wish you good luck in your journey, i hope you will shed that weight and feel even fitter!

*here's my 100 days post with pictures where i started at 34.1 bmi, http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10176614/100-days-of-mfp#latest

Great, but what do all those things have to do with BMI?
  • hekla90
    Options

Generally those measurements speak to the frame size/bone thickness/build of people. These factors affect body weight more than height often.
    Um so height doesn't influence frame size? Alrighty then lol
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options

So I just measured and my wrist is 6 and 1/4 inchs and my ankle is spot on 9 inchs. I am 5ft 4 if that has anything to do with it. What is that meant to tell me about my body frame?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    BMI is a useful statistical measure on a population level, it creates a bell curve of health risks ...any bell curve has outliers. The BMI scale has approx 30% outliers ....it should never be employed on an individual level but is

Of course everybody seems to think they are an outlier
  • RonRoff
    edited July 2015
    Options

Thats pretty simple, said poster inclined that he didn't understand why his doctor called him unhealthy. The BMI is just a number yes, but it's clearly visible that the number is not just a random figure.
  • mokaiba
    mokaiba Posts: 141 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »
    I mean.. not to be rude, but you certainly dont LOOK healthy, even if you might be... so I can see why your doctor is concerned

looks can be deceiving. other than being fat, I have no medical issues (blood pressure, disease, etc) other than the physical ones I sustained in the military, which are the main cause for me even becoming fat (hard to exercise when in pain and those things I do at the bottom are only recent...it took years to be able to achieve those (quite happy about it)).

see above response. I agree that im fat but i'm not entirely at fault for it (one of the few who can legit say that).

• zaxx1953
    Options

Thats pretty simple, said poster inclined that he didn't understand why his doctor called him unhealthy. The BMI is just a number yes, but it's clearly visible that the number is not just a random figure.

Why is it important?

Saying something isn't random certainly isn't a compelling argument for elevating it to being important in the process.

Why not simply use waist circumference? That isn't random either, right?
  • RonRoff
    Options

Why is it important?

Saying something isn't random certainly isn't a compelling argument for elevating it to being important in the process.

Mate, you've been trolling the weight loss forum all morning, not biting (another example is here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10213966/why-do-people-in-the-us-predominantly-eat-carbs#latest). It was important enough for @mokaiba to make a post, therefor i can answer to it whatever the f i want.
    see above response. I agree that im fat but i'm not entirely at fault for it (one of the few who can legit say that).

Yeah i've been in the same issue, been a soldier for 5 years, when i stopped, all those precious muscles evaporized s slowly into fat and that put me in a very uncomfortable position, no medical condition, other than being gaming addicted for years, if i'd only did sports twice a week... :lol:

• zaxx1953
    Options

Why is it important?

Mate, you've been trolling the weight loss forum all morning, not biting (another example is here: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10213966/why-do-people-in-the-us-predominantly-eat-carbs#latest). It was important enough for @mokaiba to make a post, therefor i can answer to it whatever the f i want.

Yeah i've been in the same issue, been a soldier for 5 years, when i stopped, all those precious muscles evaporized s slowly into fat and that put me in a very uncomfortable position, no medical condition, other than being gaming addicted for years, if i'd only did sports twice a week... :lol:

You don't have an answer, got it.
  • hekla90
    Options
    annette_15 wrote: »

looks can be deceiving. other than being fat, I have no medical issues (blood pressure, disease, etc) other than the physical ones I sustained in the military, which are the main cause for me even becoming fat (hard to exercise when in pain and those things I do at the bottom are only recent...it took years to be able to achieve those (quite happy about it)).

Of course it's not your fault... http://themighty.com/2015/07/2photographer-captures-confidence-of-wounded-veterans-in-new-book/