another loose skin and stretch marks thread.

sorry you must get these threads alot. but i need some help/advice/some confidence put back in myself. my aim is to lose 5 stone, I am just over half way. I feel little bit's of loose skin on my lower tummy and under my arms, but I can definitely feel fat under there. those little lumpy things lol. anyway is this normal? if i can pinch loose skin now, does that mean i'm gonna get it? i can only pinch about 1cm or so. my overall weight goal will be 70lb, i have been told that most loose skin is common when someone is losing 100lb or more?

with stretch marks, i have them ALL over :( stomach, sides, under my arms, shoulders, etc. some have faded a little, but they are still there. this is where my confidence lacks. do girls care that guys have stretch marks? I'm trying to get them to fade but I'm not sure what's better, cocoa butter or bio oil? i was even thinking of having laser surgery oneday, has anyone else had it?

btw i am 22, 6ft and male. thanks

Replies

• JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    If you have loose skin now, then you'll have it when you lose another 2 1/2 stone. However, it may improve over time. A lot of people find that it improves a little in the first months/year or two into maintenance. I have lost about 6 stone/ 85 lbs, and I have some in the same areas. It's not too bad though, and doesn't stop me wearing short sleeves etc. I'm not aware of any evidence based methods to prevent it happening, but generally what gets recommended is to not lose the weight too quickly, to stay well hydrated, to moisturise your skin, and to incorporate strength training into your routine. Those things certainly won't hurt anyway.

With stretch marks, they're not going to go away, but they will fade with time. I've heard good things about bio oil, but only anecdotally. Again, it can't hurt, but time is going to be the main thing.

I can't speak for all women, but I don't care about guys having stretch marks. I would try not too worry about it all too much. These are the kinds of things that we are usually far more aware of in ourselves, than other people are. Lose the weight, give it some time and then reassess to see if you want laser surgery or whatever.
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Hey, I have stretch marks so it would be horribly hypocritical of me to care if guys had them. ;) Seriously, you are doing really well. Don't worry a bit about the stupid stretch marks. They will fade with time.
  • ScottIan11
    ScottIan11 Posts: 48
    Really? This is depressing to hear :( I need the truth anyway. Thanks for the quick and well detailed reply. I will do my best to help it improve with lifting heavy at the gym and using the right oils...and hoping it improves with being young. I'm glad you don't care about guys having stretch marks atleast lol thanks.
  • ScottIan11
    Hey, I have stretch marks so it would be horribly hypocritical of me to care if guys had them. ;) Seriously, you are doing really well. Don't worry a bit about the stupid stretch marks. They will fade with time.
    Haha well thanks. They are really common, so maybe I'm making a big deal about it? & thank you (-: I will get some bio oil I think.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Keeping in mind that I didn't have a ton to lose (maybe ultimately 30lb), I actually slowed down my goals after how my skin was handling the loss of the first 12 or so lbs. I take a lot of MSM and also use MSM lotion and collagen/elastin lotion at least a few times a week, and that seems to be helping a lot, along with TIME which is the big thing... but you can do stuff to help time along. I've experimented with keeping compression on target areas (wearing a waist belt, etc.) and it does seem to help but I found it hard to wear it regularly due to the heat. Have ordered some other compression stuff that wicks better so I can try doing that more often.

There's a vasershaping clinic in my area now, thinking about trying that next year, after everything has settled as much as it's going to (and I've read some reviews).
  • I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    My boyfriend has them, doesn't bother me at all.
  • ScottIan11
    Keeping in mind that I didn't have a ton to lose (maybe ultimately 30lb), I actually slowed down my goals after how my skin was handling the loss of the first 12 or so lbs. I take a lot of MSM and also use MSM lotion and collagen/elastin lotion at least a few times a week, and that seems to be helping a lot, along with TIME which is the big thing... but you can do stuff to help time along. I've experimented with keeping compression on target areas (wearing a waist belt, etc.) and it does seem to help but I found it hard to wear it regularly due to the heat. Have ordered some other compression stuff that wicks better so I can try doing that more often.

There's a vasershaping clinic in my area now, thinking about trying that next year, after everything has settled as much as it's going to (and I've read some reviews).
    Yeah I have slowed my diet down to 1lb a week, it will take longer but I'm hoping for better results from it too. Not heard of wearing a waist belt to help it! I do however do crunches, planks, dry brushing. I do want to use a lotion but I'm not sure between cocoa and bio-oil. I know time is needed. I just hope I won't need surgery to fix it as it really is not what I want and the scar that it can leave behind looks quite nasty :/ your post was very helpful, thank you. (-:
  • ScottIan11
    My boyfriend has them, doesn't bother me at all.
    That's great. I'm not really sure how girls react to guys having them, I personally wouldn't care if a girl had them.

There is a girl that I really like, but I don't want to freak her out with my massive stretch marks and it almost puts me off all together. Do they fade LOADS?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Yep, it's normal. Everything you said. I'm older (54) and they do go away. Until I lose more weight and there they are again.

Swimming, running - exercise - all help make it happen faster.

Stretch marks are literally tears in the inner skin. They might be scars. They were there, you're just seeing them now. They heal like scars go.
  • ScottIan11
    Yep, it's normal. Everything you said. I'm older (54) and they do go away. Until I lose more weight and there they are again.

Swimming, running - exercise - all help make it happen faster.

Stretch marks are literally tears in the inner skin. They might be scars. They were there, you're just seeing them now. They heal like scars go.
    It is normal? I do hope so. Maybe it will tighten up on it's own, I hope.

Thank you, I really do appreciate all replies.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    My son, (who is not overweight in the least) has them and his girlfriend certainly doesn't seem to mind. I wouldn't worry about it. :wink:
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Stay hydrated, moisturized, and keep working out. They do fade, and the loose skin will tighten up :)
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member

Yeah I have slowed my diet down to 1lb a week, it will take longer but I'm hoping for better results from it too. Not heard of wearing a waist belt to help it! I do however do crunches, planks, dry brushing. I do want to use a lotion but I'm not sure between cocoa and bio-oil. I know time is needed. I just hope I won't need surgery to fix it as it really is not what I want and the scar that it can leave behind looks quite nasty :/ your post was very helpful, thank you. (-:

You're welcome! At 22 your skin should certainly bounce back for you. Just keep taking care of yourself and be patient.

I never had kids but heard about the compression garment thing from some women I work with who were discussing wearing them after childbirth. The idea seems to be that holding the skin tight and supported helps it rebound better and faster than letting it hang under its own weight. I am not sure but I think compression garments are sometimes used during recovery after reduction kinds of surgeries as well. Maybe someone else can confirm.

I originally used the MSM lotion (I use NOW brand) just on areas that have joint pain because it helps that, but noticed that after applying it to the right knee regularly when it was going through a rough spell, the skin there had a smoother, firmer appearance than on the left knee. That's why I started putting it on all over. I haven't been watching my stretch marks over the years but I do have a few on my thighs, maybe I'll start putting MSM on them every night before bed and see what happens.
  • ScottIan11
    My son, (who is not overweight in the least) has them and his girlfriend certainly doesn't seem to mind. I wouldn't worry about it. :wink:
    That's good to hear. Thank you. (:
  • ScottIan11
    Stay hydrated, moisturized, and keep working out. They do fade, and the loose skin will tighten up :)
    I do hope so. Thank you for the helpful reply (:
  • ScottIan11

You're welcome! At 22 your skin should certainly bounce back for you. Just keep taking care of yourself and be patient.

I never had kids but heard about the compression garment thing from some women I work with who were discussing wearing them after childbirth. The idea seems to be that holding the skin tight and supported helps it rebound better and faster than letting it hang under its own weight. I am not sure but I think compression garments are sometimes used during recovery after reduction kinds of surgeries as well. Maybe someone else can confirm.

I originally used the MSM lotion (I use NOW brand) just on areas that have joint pain because it helps that, but noticed that after applying it to the right knee regularly when it was going through a rough spell, the skin there had a smoother, firmer appearance than on the left knee. That's why I started putting it on all over. I haven't been watching my stretch marks over the years but I do have a few on my thighs, maybe I'll start putting MSM on them every night before bed and see what happens.
    I do hope so, because I really need it to. As it really will affect my self confidence. I'm doing everything I can think of to avoid it. Thank you. I will look into that lotion though (: Thank you, every reply helps.

I have been using cocoa butter one for only a couple of weeks, but I have also been wondering about changing to the bio-oil instead as I hear it's better? Anyone verify this or is it just personal opinion?

I'll also post a picture, I warn you though, it is not pretty. :(

20130506_192633.jpg

So how bad does my stomach look and could I really get away with little or no loose skin? Thank you for all replies.
  • ScottIan11
    Link to a bigger version. As you can see, I have shocking stretch marks. :/

http://postimg.org/image/ftpl0ugu5/
  • holothuroidea
    holothuroidea Posts: 772 Member
    Just because your skin is loose now, doesn't mean it will be that way forever. It sometimes takes 2 years for skin to go back completely, but whether or not it will go back is all up to genetics. Generally, I've noticed that people who tend to get stretch marks have skin that doesn't go back as easy as people who don't get them.

You don't have to lose 100+lbs to get loose skin, though, that's for sure, especially if you carry all your extra weight in one place (like your belly, for instance).

I personally love stretch marks. I don't know if that makes me weird but I think they're interesting and beautiful. They've certainly never stopped me from being attracted to someone.

As for myself, no man has every won a stretch mark/loose skin contest with me, but I've had two babies. :P
  • lveh8lve
    lveh8lve Posts: 162 Member
    I've had stretch marks since i had a growth spurt at 16. And they were all over - Feet, legs, boobs. They did fade and are barely noticeable. Remember everyone has their flaws. And if a woman doesn't want to be with you for such petty things as loose skin and stretch marks, she probably isn't worth your time anyways!!!
  • 6spdeg
    6spdeg Posts: 394 Member
    you wont know what will happen hopes of it bouncing back etc are great but hopes..

Ive lost over 100lbs and no such luck.

lifting yes helps .. standing up helps.. leaning over and lying down skin hangs sux.. skin around belly sux.

personally stretch marks least of my worries.. excess skin is the issue. Although I will accept the extra size body suit vs a full extra size body suit any day!

you can see pics of me in my photos i put up for this reason.