Does anyone here not count calories, or have stopped?

Options

Replies

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Entroopia wrote: »
    It seems weird that a lot of people are saying that it's too time-consuming to count kcals. I don't understand what takes time? You look at the label, you calculate the kcals you are going to eat or have eaten, then you record it on your computer or on your phone or even on paper. All of this takes less than a minute... Besides, if you count kcals often enough, I have found at least, that I have already memorized the kcalories in most of the foods I eat.

Maybe I'm also too much of a scientist with my head stuck in chemistry and all but I also don't see why it is so bad to think of food as numbers instead of as just "food" because when it comes down to it, that's exactly what food is. Kcalories is the energy in the food, and you eat food for energy, not for any other characteristics it has. Sure, we like to eat tasty things but that's not really why we need food to live. Focusing on food instead of energy is why we get fat in the first place after all. I like to think of all the thermodynamics and biochemistry happening when I take in food because that's the reality of why we eat.

Not everyone eats everything out of boxes.

I eat very little out of a box. I also only have a few recipes that are made the same way every time. I spend a lot of time recalculating old recipes...entering new ones...etc etc. I am only tracking calories now for the sodium, potassium and iron since those at this are the ones that I watch for health reasons.

• JoshLikesBeer
    JoshLikesBeer Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    It seems weird that a lot of people are saying that it's too time-consuming to count kcals. I don't understand what takes time? You look at the label, you calculate the kcals you are going to eat or have eaten, then you record it on your computer or on your phone or even on paper. All of this takes less than a minute... Besides, if you count kcals often enough, I have found at least, that I have already memorized the kcalories in most of the foods I eat.

Maybe I'm also too much of a scientist with my head stuck in chemistry and all but I also don't see why it is so bad to think of food as numbers instead of as just "food" because when it comes down to it, that's exactly what food is. Kcalories is the energy in the food, and you eat food for energy, not for any other characteristics it has. Sure, we like to eat tasty things but that's not really why we need food to live. Focusing on food instead of energy is why we get fat in the first place after all. I like to think of all the thermodynamics and biochemistry happening when I take in food because that's the reality of why we eat.

Exactly. Hardly anything that I eat has a nutrition label on it. I cook a lot of things from scratch and I rarely follow recipes.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options

Perhaps not, but you can easily plug in your meals in the morning and see what you'll come to. I know 100g of leftover pork loin comes to about 250 calories and 25+ grams of protein.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Perhaps not, but you can easily plug in your meals in the morning and see what you'll come to. I know 100g of leftover pork loin comes to about 250 calories and 25+ grams of protein.

Not disputing that in any way. My post was in direct response to the quote.
  • hrtchoco
    hrtchoco Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    hrtchoco wrote: »
    I don't count calories for myself anymore since my body is pretty good at telling me when I'm full, when I'm under, and when I ate too much. Plus, I'm not trying to lose weight.

I do count calories for my husband (using a food scale ofc) because he is trying to lose weight and we want to make sure there is a deficit.

You're so supportive for doing that for him! Wow!
    Thank you. :)
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I count for a few months, I slack off for a few months.

Meh.

It's all good if you make your goals.
  • Entroopia
    Entroopia Posts: 32 Member
    Options

I don't remember saying that anywhere? If there's a label, you look at it. If not, you have to take 2 seconds to google it and most people eat similar foods every day so, also as I mentioned, you tend to memorize pretty quickly the kcals in things.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I do, but I've done it for a long time and am trying to learn to eat without having to weigh all the food. It's not easy for me! But most of the world manages to eat without weighing their food and I can learn to do it, too. I think. :)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Weird

Some of the fittest and leanest people I know are probably on here, day in, day out logging their calories and monitoring their maintenance levels

If calorie counting isn't for you then OP find another route to losing / maintaining
    But I think you'll find most users of a calorie counting site like MFP count their calories

Right. I never understand this thread, every time it's posted.

I think the reason why those posts show up is because just like those who count they want tips and info on how best to monitor their intake. Side Steel started a thread a few weeks ago in order to help those who wanted to move from counting to not counting.

While the majority of people on this site count not all do. They are here for either nutritional or fitness advice.

For myself...if it wasn't important for me to track some of my micro intake...I would probably transition to not counting.

good call, good thread

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10180601/non-tracking-methods-and-behaviors-that-may-help-while-tracking/p1

I'm tracking now because I'm actively losing after a small regain, and because my activity level has changed - I'm having to tighten up and learn some new tricks to stay at this lower calorie target. But I didn't track once I was well into maintenance after my big loss, by mostly doing stuff summarized in the thread above.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 pounds a few years ago by measuring and logging every bite. i felt I could continue to lose without logging. My new job has a long commute and I stopped working out. I regain everything I lost. Now I am logging everything again and moving more. It works. I personally need to stick with it.
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I always count -- 48.5lbs down and I don't want it back. I suck at eyeballing food portions so it's going to have to be a long term thing for me. I know it, I'm good with it because the alternative is much worse. A few minutes out of each day is a small price to pay for good health. Just my two cents.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Counting calories is time consuming for me when I make homemade recipes which is the majority of my meals. Today was potato pancakes made from leftover mashed potatoes that were made with dairy free butter and coconut milk. I could have weighed raw potatoes, coconut milk and butter before and after cooking and mashing and figured how much 100g was worth cooked. Then I could have figured out how much was in the leftovers and weighed out the eggs and gluten free flour I added to the potatoes to make the pancakes and also weighed out the butter they were fried in. It would have had to have been the raw weight vs the cooked weight. This is just 1 recipe.

I chose not to do that. Instead I weighed out my scrambled eggs and bacon and estimated the potato pancakes.

Counting calories will make me crazy if I have to weigh everything in homemade recipes. So instead of an all or nothing approach, I weigh things that are easy and estimate the harder things. Still counting calories but trying not to make myself crazy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm all about healthy livin'...I don't count calories anymore...I did while I was losing weight in order to see on paper what the "cost" of my consumption was as well as to teach me how to better balance out my nutrition...having done that for 9 months, I really didn't see any reason to continue.

I've maintained my weight loss for over two years now pretty easily...I eat well and I exercise regularly.

that said, a lot of people just tend to go back to old habits and/or they just stop paying attention and whatnot...big mistake. While I don't log, I'm very aware of my nutrition and consumption in general.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    zaxx1953 wrote: »
    You appear to be a thin and healthy 20 yr old, why would you be counting cals?

Be active, eat quality food, avoid refined carbs and unless you gain/lose a bunch of weight, don't worry about cals all the time.
    Having a 19 year old daughter at home, I see a great many 20 year old people. The majority of them need to worry about calories. Maybe twenty percent are thin and fit.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've been a bit hit and miss with logging lately as I've been so busy....3 young kids, working as a teacher, and my husband works shifts. I'm always on the go - work, meetings, lesson planning, housework, running round after the kids, gym etc.

I haven't weighed myself lately, but I am most definitely getting smaller.

I've been logging for 3 years though, and I haven't changed the way I eat, so logging or not logging, I'm eating pretty much the same.

I will get back on it though. School finishes Wed for the summer, so I've got 6 weeks of no work.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hey all!

Lately, I've found that counting calories have consumed too much time and thought that could be put towards other things.
    To put it into perspective, it's at the point where when I look at food, all I see is a number.

Does anyone here not count calories? How has it affected your journey? Have you let go of the weight still? Put it back on? Maintained?

I do literally count and log my calories. It's a tool I choose to use for weight management.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    zaxx1953 wrote: »
    Haven't for a long time...

It's useful for people cutting down in small amounts in order to be lean for summer, etc.

It's not that useful for maintenance or for very overweight people IN THE LONG RUN imho.

You appear to be a thin and healthy 20 yr old, why would you be counting cals?

Be active, eat quality food, avoid refined carbs and unless you gain/lose a bunch of weight, don't worry about cals all the time.

You are projecting your generalizations out instead of saying whether or not you count calories. Your assessments are false, by the way. Calorie couting is a tool that helps people be successful with weight management no matter what stage they are at.
  • natboosh69
    natboosh69 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    The only way I've lost weight in the past without counting calories is to cut out all 'junk' like chocolate, fast food etc. I'd rather count and keep track, so I can still eat allllll the foods.