Military Diet?!?!?

Options

Replies

• chelseakrenzke
    chelseakrenzke Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I didn't get depressed because of the diet. There were other things going on in my life at that time that caused it. I do eat healthy now and I do exercise.....I have a hard time losing weight so that is why I considered doing this again because it helped me before. And if I'm exercising and lifting weights I shouldn't just be losing water weight.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I didn't get depressed because of the diet. There were other things going on in my life at that time that caused it. I do eat healthy now and I do exercise.....I have a hard time losing weight so that is why I considered doing this again because it helped me before. And if I'm exercising and lifting weights I shouldn't just be losing water weight.

Do you log your food? That's really the key to losing weight.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    You need a calorie deficit to lose weight. If you're having a hard time, you're eating too much. Are you logging your intake or are you just eating healthy (whatever you understand by that)?
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

Sorry, no. It just doesn't work that way.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Exercising and lifting weights will only cause weight loss if you are in a calorie deficit. The military diet will create a calorie deficit but the days you do not do it may or may not. It depends how many calories (not how "healthy") you eat. You could eat 100% foods that are usually considered "healthy" and not be in a calorie deficit. Doing the diet will cause some fat loss, because you will be in a deficit the days you do it. What everyone is pointing out is that the majority of what you lose will be water/glycogen. So out of a 5 lb loss week 1, you might lose a lb or so of fat. It totally depends on how many calories you eat during the off days. If you eat enough during those days, your net fat loss could be a little as zero.
  • chelseakrenzke
    Options
    I am logging my food, I stay within my calories most days. Sometimes I go a little over by 100-200 calories. But it doesn't happen often. I mainly eat fruits, veggies, salad, shrimp, fish, rice. And I allow myself one cheat meal a week. Not a whole day because I feel like that's ruining my whole week, so I limit myself to one cheat meal a week. I do at least an hour of exercise a day givig myself one day off a week as well.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I am logging my food, I stay within my calories most days. Sometimes I go a little over by 100-200 calories. But it doesn't happen often. I mainly eat fruits, veggies, salad, shrimp, fish, rice. And I allow myself one cheat meal a week. Not a whole day because I feel like that's ruining my whole week, so I limit myself to one cheat meal a week. I do at least an hour of exercise a day givig myself one day off a week as well.

Are you using a scale?
    Are you eating back your exercise calories?

Not using a scale and overestimating exercise burn are probably some of the most common reasons for having a hard time.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options

Are you measuring your food?
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Too many variables. 1 cheat meal, believe it or not, can undo an entire weeks worth of effort. It all depends how many calories are consumed in that meal. Also, the types of foods you eat do not matter at all. It comes down to calories in vs calories out. If your weekly intake isn't lower than your weekly output, you will not lose fat.

• chelseakrenzke
    Options
    I really do appreciate everyones input on this subject by the way :)
  • chelseakrenzke
    Options
    No I don't measure out my food. I don't have a scale :/
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options

Are you using a scale?
    Are you eating back your exercise calories?

Not using a scale and overestimating exercise burn are probably some of the most common reasons for having a hard time.

This was my next set of questions.

If you're having trouble losing, weighing your food will really, really help.

Watch this :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjKPIcI51lU&list=FLxRg_80KHM-BdcHvV7nkgfg&index=1
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

You can pick up a pretty cheap digital one on Amazon for about $10.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options

Start doing that instead of a military diet. You'll be surprised with the results.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options

If you truly are serious get one. They're cheap and effective. A decent Taylor model can be had between $20-$30 US.

If you're not serious and just want a quick fix that will have you back here in short order and no results to show, proceed as planned. We'll be here. And lighter.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    If you're not seeing results then you're probably eating too much and just not realising. You'd be amazed how little rice is a reasonable serving!

Buy a scale, set your MFP goal to 1lb a week and be patient. Slow and steady makes for long term weight loss and altered habits to keep it off.
  • chelseakrenzke
    Options
    Alrighty, I'll go buy a scale :) hopefully that helps.
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    If you are in Canada, digital ones go on sale at Canadian Tire all the time for $10. It is the only way to go, even if friends or family think you are being excessive by weighing........just look at all the people in here that have had success losing a large amount of weight 99% will agree that a food scale is a must.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    My scale lives on the kitchen counter. I put a plate on it as I'm dishing up and weigh everything as I go, it's just habit now. I live alone so no-one is judging me. Well, my cats judge me but that's par for the course..........
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    My scale lives on the kitchen counter. I put a plate on it as I'm dishing up and weigh everything as I go, it's just habit now. I live alone so no-one is judging me. Well, my cats judge me but that's par for the course..........

A constant battle.