How to avoid gaining it all back?

Options
so I started at 125 and I am currently 113. My goal weight is 110 (mind you, I am only 5'3"). Once I reach my goal weight, hopefully in the next month or so, how do I avoid gaining the weight back? How should I adjust my calorie consumption to maintain that weight?

Replies

• BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Continuing to exercise on a daily basis, along with being cognizant of what you eat and how much, will help you to not fall back into old eating patterns.

Transforming yourself into a healthy person is an ongoing process. Its not a diet or a temporary leave of absence from the old you. It is a reincarnation (if you will) of the new you. :)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    You need to move into maintenance phase. Slowly start increasing your calories from your deficit (where you are for losing weight) to a maintenance level (where you will be to maintain weight and not lose or gain). Add 100 calories to your deficit, and change that each week until you hit maintenance. Since you are about a month away from goal weight, this might stretch you to six weeks or so, but it will make your move to maintenance much easier, and make maintenance easier for you as well.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Setting a fitness goal is helpful, it gives you something to focus on.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »

This is what I've been doing for the past 3 years which has worked out well so far.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Don't eat more than you burn, obviously. Also, exercise is beneficial for maintenance, as opposed to during weight loss where it is less beneficial. Make a habit of stepping on the scale at least once a week. If your weight increases more than a few pounds above your goal weight, begin cutting back on food to bring it back to what it should be.
  • RaspberryTickleChicken
    RaspberryTickleChicken Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    BigGuy47 wrote: »

+1 - This will help your mindset shift from weight focus to more goal focus.

Just keep in mind that there really is no finish line.

All the good eating habits you have developed needs to stay & have regular activities for a healthy heart & balance blood sugar.

P.S. Congrats!!

Good luck!