Do you guys eat your exercise calories?

Options
Do you guys eat your exercise calories or not?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    If I'm following MFP's goals, yes. If I'm following TDEE, no.
  • jesikalovesyou
    jesikalovesyou Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I usually don't, but if I'm really hungry one day, I might eat half back.
  • FoxyLifter
    FoxyLifter Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    If I'm getting it off of MFP, I eat back about 50%. If I use a HRM, I eat back 75%.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    If I'm following MFP's goals, yes. If I'm following TDEE, no.

This. I use TDEE now, so no. But if you're using MFP, it's designed in such a way that you're supposed to (though I only ever ate half).
  • kkorzeniowska
    kkorzeniowska Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I dont, but to be fair I may start because after week of training and sticking to the calories I crave for food in the weekends when and I'm constantly hungry. It's annoying....
  • WeddedBliss1992
    WeddedBliss1992 Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    no, i don't. i think you'll find everyone is different. :smile:
  • Dariasen
    Dariasen Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I may or may not. If they are there and I am hungry I will but I also won't try to force myself to eat if I don't feel the need. Of course, I'm still starting out so my burn according to MFP is only 100-200 calories so it comes out to maybe 50-100 extra, not an extream difference.
  • soccerkon26
    soccerkon26 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I eat almost all of my exercise calories back
  • elkhunter7x6
    elkhunter7x6 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I always eat mine back.
  • Azurite27
    Azurite27 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance. I eat back 70-100% depending on the activity and source of estimate. If I don't I lose weight so it is necessary. I did the same while losing.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    When I first started, yes. But now that I have a years worth of data from logging food and exercise, I find that because I do SO little cardio-MFP basically gives me my TDEE. If I do cardio once or twice a month, it's not worth eating that back, especially because it's steady state and very minimal effort.
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I eat mine back, have from day 1 of my new lifestyle. During the bulk of my weight loss I was diligent to stay within my goals, now I meet my goals somedays and then other days I go over up to maintenance calories. But to be fair I am more concerned with muscle gain at this point. I will probably do another 2lb a week cut for 5 weeks this fall.
  • drxl34
    drxl34 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    yup - I follow MFP net calories. Sometimes I don't need to eat as much, but cycling,running, and rock climbing make me hungry! If I didn't my net calories would be in the negatives significantly
  • sheila2323
    sheila2323 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Never.
  • daniip_la
    daniip_la Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I do, because I eat at a 40% deficit. I eat about 200 calories extra on workout days.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I eat some of them back. I use an HRM but don't do steady state cardio so the burn isn't to be trusted. Plus I'm generally just not hungry enough to eat them all! I like the buffer so if I have a little splurge one day it all works out in the end. I also pay more attention to weekly intake than daily, again for the same reasons.
  • PinkDeerBoy
    PinkDeerBoy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Sometimes. I usually just log my exercise on here to keep track of what I am doing/how long, not really to fond the calorie burn. If I do eat them, I only eat about half since I currently do not own a HRM and I have been told MFP overestimates calorie burn.
  • Glampinupdoll
    Glampinupdoll Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Only if I feel like I need them and typically only 1/2 at that
  • professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Options
    1/2 at most

There are big fluctuations in calorie estimates for similar exercises across different sites

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Every single last yummy one

BUT I never believed the MFP database and always logged half their suggestion (double click on calories)

Now I use my HRM and a fitbit for activity level (last 10 months) and I judge over 6-8 week periods to make sure I'm eating the right amount

I have been at maintenance, since feb, having lost 54lbs but as my weight still currently seems to be dropping so I think I need to up my intake again ...trendweight estimates I'm under eating by about 160 cals per day over 3 months ...I will see if my weight increases over the next few weeks and increase again