Weight gain post binge day

I've binged 3 times this week. I started binging at Monday, and I consumed more than 6000 kcal over maintenance. Two days later, my weight was back at normal there was no gain. I continued binging on Thursday, and ate 8000 calories over maintenance. The binging episodes continued, and yesterday I binged 7000 calories over. I'm 5'65 male and my weight before binging was 129lbs, and today's weight is 141lbs.What do you think am I'm going to gain a significant amount of weight?

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    If you really were eating 6000 and 8000 calories OVER MAINTENANCE, it's possible you'll gain a couple pounds. Do the math. A pound is 3,500 calories.
  • PinkDeerBoy
    PinkDeerBoy Posts: 89 Member
    Have you considered talking to a doctor or other medical professional about your binge eating?
  • Lupce1996
    Lupce1996 Posts: 13 Member
    Have you considered talking to a doctor or other medical professional about your binge eating?
    I haven't binged before. I was on a strict diet before, so I think that the diet was the trigger.
  • arditarose
    Lupce1996 wrote: »
    I haven't binged before. I was on a strict diet before, so I think that the diet was the trigger.

This can happen when you restrict yourself too much. Why not enter a less aggressive weight loss goal into MFP and enjoy some foods you like while staying in a deficit?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member

You're binging is presumably because you're at a large calorie deficit on your 'strict diet' to get to 129lbs? It's your body's way of stopping you from starving yourself.
  • PinkDeerBoy
    PinkDeerBoy Posts: 89 Member
    If it continues, it may be worth mentioning, though. Not trying to be judgy, or anything like that, just trying to look out for ya. I've had friends with eating disorders and it is scary how much it changes their life.
    What is the normal calorie consumption MFP gives you? If you are eating at an aggressive deficit that may be your problem. I know that was the issue I've had when I used MFP in the past.

• Lupce1996

You're binging is presumably because you're at a large calorie deficit on your 'strict diet' to get to 129lbs? It's your body's way of stopping you from starving yourself.
    During my diet I consumed around 1200 kcal, and managed to drop 45 lbs in a very short amount of time.
  • TavistockToad

During my diet I consumed around 1200 kcal, and managed to drop 45 lbs in a very short amount of time.

That's nothing to be proud of
  • Lupce1996
    If it continues, it may be worth mentioning, though. Not trying to be judgy, or anything like that, just trying to look out for ya. I've had friends with eating disorders and it is scary how much it changes their life.
    What is the normal calorie consumption MFP gives you? If you are eating at an aggressive deficit that may be your problem. I know that was the issue I've had when I used MFP in the past.
    My normal calorie consumption is 2300 kcal per day.I'm very active doing cardio 4x50 min per week and walking 50+miles a week.
  • Lupce1996

I know and I'm sorry about that I'm feeling ashamed now because I binged like an animal.

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    arditarose wrote: »

This can happen when you restrict yourself too much. Why not enter a less aggressive weight loss goal into MFP and enjoy some foods you like while staying in a deficit?

This here is quite a true statement. Binging is a result of eating to low for YOU. No matter what any calculator says or does not say, your body gives you TRUTH. Some people can only sustain a deficit slightly under maintenance.

I wouldn't worry so much about the consequence of your recent binging (how much weight you would gain from it), that is a minor problem compared to the pattern of eating you are embarking on. Nothing but bad news if you keep going in that direction.

- eat up to maintenance or slightly below if you want a deficit for fat loss
    - even if you sustain a slight deficit, eat up to maintenance at least one day a week.
    - seek professional help if you continue on the low/high binge cycles as that's a very unhealthy path.

The key to reduce those peak eating days is to increase the valley's. Take a look at your 30 day calorie chart and start to make that a more level line.

• arditarose

I know and I'm sorry about that I'm feeling ashamed now because I binged like an animal.

I binged the other day. Not to the extent that you did-but too much for me. At least enough to feel out of control. The next day my body was so sore and I felt horrible. Nothing you can do but pick up and move on. You can't un-eat that food or go back in time. If it makes you feel better, there are plenty of other people picking up and starting over again today. And tomorrow and the day after.
  • Lupce1996
    I'm not restricting myself anymore. I've reached my goal weight, and now I'm maintaining. I hope that I won't repeat the same mistake again.
  • Lupce1996

I binged the other day. Not to the extent that you did-but too much for me. At least enough to feel out of control. The next day my body was so sore and I felt horrible. Nothing you can do but pick up and move on. You can't un-eat that food or go back in time. If it makes you feel better, there are plenty of other people picking up and starting over again today. And tomorrow and the day after.
    That's it the damage is done, and I can't undo it. I'm going to eat at my maintenance level. I know if I continue to restrict myself, I'm going to binge more. it's a vicious cycle.
  • bbontheb
    bbontheb Posts: 718 Member
    Honest question...is 129lbs for a male of your height healthy? It seems quite low but that could be just me.
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member

This here is quite a true statement. Binging is a result of eating to low for YOU. No matter what any calculator says or does not say, your body gives you TRUTH. Some people can only sustain a deficit slightly under maintenance.

I wouldn't worry so much about the consequence of your recent binging (how much weight you would gain from it), that is a minor problem compared to the pattern of eating you are embarking on. Nothing but bad news if you keep going in that direction.

- even if you sustain a slight deficit, eat up to maintenance at least one day a week.
    - seek professional help if you continue on the low/high binge cycles as that's a very unhealthy path.

The key to reduce those peak eating days is to increase the valley's. Take a look at your 30 day calorie chart and start to make that a more level line.

This.

I'm glad you are deciding for yourself to go eat at maintenance.
    Just make sure you take good care of yourself both physically and mentally.
    Also, the occasional day of eating some extra yummy food is all part of life, as long as it doesn't become a cycle don't worry.

Just out curiosity, what did you eat to get that far over maintenance?
    (I am someone that struggled reaching my maintenance calories and ate too few. Really hard for me to comprehend how someone can eat that many calories)
  • AsISmile
    AsISmile Posts: 1,004 Member
    By the way, I did the math.
    Max fat you could have gained is 6lbs. Which would get you up to 135. The other 6 lbs must be water weight, which will likely come off if you continue eating normal.
  • TavistockToad

No, you binged like someone who has been STARVING themselves...

Please get some help from a professional
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    I agree with californiagirl2012. How about setting yourself up with a cheat day once a week? By that I mean you follow a reasonable deficit 6 days and one day you eat what you want, but no more than your maintenance limit. I lost 61 pounds that way and am here doing it again because I went off the wagon. Good luck!
  • Lupce1996
    AsISmile wrote: »

This.

I'm glad you are deciding for yourself to go eat at maintenance.
    Just make sure you take good care of yourself both physically and mentally.
    Also, the occasional day of eating some extra yummy food is all part of life, as long as it doesn't become a cycle don't worry.

Just out curiosity, what did you eat to get that far over maintenance?
    (I am someone that struggled reaching my maintenance calories and ate too few. Really hard for me to comprehend how someone can eat that many calories)
    Nutella,chocolate cake,pastry with cheese,7oz chocolate,whole 12- inch pizza,chocolate bar,4oz roasted cashews