Weight is up 1.2 lbs after my lowest cal/highest workout yet.

Options
I really killed it yesterday with about 40 mins of cardio and a bit of strength training, plus I worked a 6 hr server shift so lots of moving around all day. I also stayed well below my 1200 calorie allowance. I got on the scale this morning and my weight is actually UP over a lb. Anyone have thoughts as to why or advice on anything I may be doing wrong?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear
  • BasicGreatGuy
    BasicGreatGuy Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Just because your weight is up 1.2 pounds one day, that doesn't mean that you are, or have been doing anything wrong. If the added weight became a constant pattern, then there would be cause for evaluation, in my opinion.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a water weight fluctuation to me. Could be anything from the increase in exercise to stress, hormones, salt, hydration levels, etc. You know how people on here always say that weight loss isn't linear? This is exactly the kind of thing they mean.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    The scale fluctuates. You need to average your weight over time. Try weighing yourself every day. Take the average weight of a week, then compare to the average weight of the previous week.
  • PinkDeerBoy
    PinkDeerBoy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Your weight fluctuates a few pounds day to day. You probably didn't do anything wrong. It's better to weight yourself everyday if you can, and keep track of the average. If it shows a general decrease, you should be good.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Not having enough patience. Not realizing that you might have some water weight gain. Thinking 1 workout means x amount of lbs lost the very next day.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Also well under 1200? You should definitely eat more, especially if you're very active.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    Also well under 1200? You should definitely eat more, especially if you're very active.

I agree with this too.

Also FYI - if you aren't using a food scale, weighing/measuring every single thing that you eat/drink you could very well be eating over 1200 calories easily.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    You aren't going to lose every single day/week. Water weight will fluctuate constantly.

And I agree with the above...you should be hitting at LEAST 1200, if not more with exercise.
  • besee_2000
    besee_2000 Posts: 365 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    How much water did you drink before going to bed? In comparison to the night before that is.
  • sheisolivia
    sheisolivia Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. @strong_curves I'm not thinking one workout=x lbs down the next day, but I have kept a consistent regiment of cardio workout at least 30 mins everyday, and I've seen a consistent decline and then yesterday there was a spike up, not a big deal but I didn't want there to be more upward spikes if I'm doing something wrong. I appreciate all the Input, I probably should have eaten more but just didn't have time. Will work on keeping it more balanced today :)
  • sheisolivia
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »

I agree with this too.

Also FYI - if you aren't using a food scale, weighing/measuring every single thing that you eat/drink you could very well be eating over 1200 calories easily.

I am using a food scale. I'm definitely under the calorie mark, consistently, but probably didn't get enough water yesterday.
  • sheisolivia
    Options
    besee_2000 wrote: »
    How much water did you drink before going to bed? In comparison to the night before that is.

Not that much. 8oz maybe. Recommendations on this?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Water
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    OP read: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

You only have 35 pounds to lose, you should only be losing about 1/2 to 1 pound a week for healthy weight loss.
  • losingitseattle
    losingitseattle Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Water fluctuation. I was down three lbs from yesterday to today. No rhyme or reason. Same type of workout/calorie intake from days prior. Eating at 300 calories deficit. Body was just ready to let it go.

Please read this!

http://greatist.com/health/understanding-scale-bloat-and-weight-loss
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I would just add in 40 mins you might have burned 300 calories if you had reasonable continuous intensity. Its 3500 calories for 1lb. It takes a lot of exercise to burn significant calories. As people have pointed out its no a straight line process and you need to be realistic.
  • DerekVTX
    DerekVTX Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry and don't mean to be rude.........but why does someone seem to ask this same question every single day? It is nice of people to answer though, but a simple search of the forums will also answer the question.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    DerekVTX wrote: »
    I'm sorry and don't mean to be rude.........but why does someone seem to ask this same question every single day? It is nice of people to answer though, but a simple search of the forums will also answer the question.

Isn't that 99% of the posts on these forums?
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    DerekVTX wrote: »

Because people dont think and prefer the personal touch. Its easier if the responders do all the work. Btw thats a general comment and nothing to do with the OP.

If people on general read up on the respective areas and prepared, then they be able to answer many of their owb questions as well as avoid lots of frustration.

Not everyone feels comfortable reading through forums or entering words into the search facility .
    Many times older hreads can give you more in depth information as its pot luck who might answer.