Skinny Fat

Options
What is skinny fat? I've tried to Google it but I still don't quite understand. Is there anyone who can try and explain it?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    It's an expression used to describe people who are thin/skinny, but not muscular. I don't know where it started - probably some fitness group trying to sell something and thinking that calling skinny people "fat" would get them to buy whatever it was.

It's bad enough to insult fat people for being fat. It's ridiculous to insult skinny people by calling them "fat."

Anorexics like it. It's a good reason to lose more weight when you don't need to do that. "But I'm skinny fat."

It's just a stupid term.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    Generally, people talk about skinny fat as being in a normal weight range, but a higher body fat percentage. People who have been overweight and reduce into normal weight can end up "skinny fat" due to losing at too fast a pace and not preserving lean body mass.
  • galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    It means you're skinny but still have a soft body (not much muscle definition). You can be a healthy weight, but your body fat % is too high, some people have a body fat percentage that is boarder line obese even though their weight is normal. They will also have the health risks associated with being overweight or obese.
  • accidentalpancake
    accidentalpancake Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    It means you're skinny but still have a soft body (not much muscle definition). You can be a healthy weight, but your body fat % is too high, some people have a body fat percentage that is boarder line obese even though their weight is normal. They will also have the health risks associated with being overweight or obese.

This.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    amyr271 wrote: »
    What is skinny fat? I've tried to Google it but I still don't quite understand. Is there anyone who can try and explain it?

Typically, if someone has lost weight simply through diet alone without any exercise, they've lost mostly fat and some lean muscle. Particularly those who lose weight through bariatric surgery, with limited protein, this can be true. The loss of muscle means the person isn't very fit. Cardiac health and muscle fitness are important for overall health, especially as we age. When someone is called 'skinny fat' (which really is not a very nice term) this is usually what is being referred to.
    To combat this condition, the optimum way to achieve weight loss is to incorporate cardio work and weight work along with a calorie deficit.

In the case of someone who is physically disabled, being at a lower weight is important, and physical exercise often impossible, so the above regime would not apply.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    I don't have an exact definition but I know it when I see it and I know it when I feel it.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    It is a term that I've seen used inconsistently. Some people user to refer to people that are low body fat percentage but lack muscle mass like
    7177396572b55e5f2ebabdcaefd37d60.jpg
    More clinically, people use it a lot to reference body transformations / recompositions and how they weight the same or more in the after shot while having lower body fat percentage and looking better.
  • galgenstrick
    edited July 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

Typically, if someone has lost weight simply through diet alone without any exercise, they've lost mostly fat and some lean muscle. Particularly those who lose weight through bariatric surgery, with limited protein, this can be true. The loss of muscle means the person isn't very fit. Cardiac health and muscle fitness are important for overall health, especially as we age. When someone is called 'skinny fat' (which really is not a very nice term) this is usually what is being referred to.
    To combat this condition, the optimum way to achieve weight loss is to incorporate cardio work and weight work along with a calorie deficit.

In the case of someone who is physically disabled, being at a lower weight is important, and physical exercise often impossible, so the above regime would not apply.

I agree with most of this, however cardio is not how to combat the skinny fat look. Not to say everyone shouldn't do cardio, but a lot of the time excessive cardio with a caloric deficit is what causes the skinny fat look.

The best way to undo the skinny fat look is to get on a progressive overload resistance training program, eat plenty of protein, eat at TDEE or slightly above. Incorporate short cardio sessions for cardiac health, but be sure to eat back the calories you burn.
  • mccindy72
    Options

I agree with most of this, however cardio is not how to combat the skinny fat look. Not to say everyone shouldn't do cardio, but a lot of the time excessive cardio with a caloric deficit is what causes the skinny fat look.

The best way to undo the skinny fat look is to get on a progressive overload resistance training program, eat plenty of protein, eat at TDEE or slightly above. Incorporate short cardio sessions for cardiac health, but be sure to eat back the calories you burn.

I didn't say how to undo it, I said how to achieve weight loss. (avoiding skinny fat)
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    It's an expression used to describe people who are thin/skinny, but not muscular. I don't know where it started - probably some fitness group trying to sell something and thinking that calling skinny people "fat" would get them to buy whatever it was.

It's bad enough to insult fat people for being fat. It's ridiculous to insult skinny people by calling them "fat."

Anorexics like it. It's a good reason to lose more weight when you don't need to do that. "But I'm skinny fat."

It's just a stupid term.

It also describes people who have a body fat percentage in the overweight or obese range at a normal range BMI. Those people are at legit risk for metabolic problems, high cholesterol, etc.

http://www.humankinetics.com/excerpts/excerpts/normal-ranges-of-body-weight-and-body-fat

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/obesity/expert-answers/normal-weight-obesity/faq-20058313

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23404833

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    When someone is thin but is still all flabby. Generally a person with no muscle mass.
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    ^^ I agree with most of this, however cardio is not how to combat the skinny fat look. Not to say everyone shouldn't do cardio, but a lot of the time excessive cardio with a caloric deficit is what causes the skinny fat look.

Exactly this. I was 11 Stone (skinny fat) from just cardio and eating at a deficit. Looked skinny in clothes but very soft. I'm now 14 Stone from weights and lean bulking and look/feel loads better even though I've technically put on weight.
  • galgenstrick
    edited July 2015
    Options

I didn't say how to undo it, I said how to achieve weight loss. (avoiding skinny fat)

I was referring to this:

"To combat this condition, the optimum way to achieve weight loss is to incorporate cardio work and weight work along with a calorie deficit."

Although, I just reread your post, and I realize I misread it. You were talking about the optimal way to lose fat, not undo skinny fat. So my bad! Forgive me :smile:
  • mccindy72
    Options

I was referring to this:

"To combat this condition, the optimum way to achieve weight loss is to incorporate cardio work and weight work along with a calorie deficit."

Although, I just reread your post, and I realize I misread it. You were talking about the optimal way to lose fat, not undo skinny fat. So my bad! Forgive me :smile:

All good! :smiley:
  • daniellecollins20
    daniellecollins20 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I've heard of this. It's crazy to think someone who appears extremely healthy can be so unhealthy.....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    It is being at a healthy weight, but still having higher BF% than the weight would suggest...it is also most often found in conjunction with minimal muscle mass.