Question about BodyMedia Link Activity Tracker

Options
Hi All - I'm new here and was excited to try the BodyMedia Link but I've been reading that since BodyMedia was acquired by Jawbone it's not being supported anymore? If it's just a matter of replacing the armband part I think I can make it myself. Anyone out there still using BodyMedia and how is it working out? Would you recommend a different tracker? I understand the Jawbone UP3 is supposed to be the replacement, but from what I've read it doesn't track intensity. TIA!

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
  • shoofly435
    shoofly435 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks @editorgrrl :)

The one thing I've been reading about Jawbone UP3 is it doesn't track intensity. So let's say you're doing vigorous hot yoga or strength training and really sweating it won't register correctly. Or if you've walked 5 miles as compared to jog/run 5 miles it will only log steps. That's why I was specifically interested in the BodyMedia Link bcs it does track intensity. But I don't know if it's being supported or not anymore?

I'm also open to suggestion as to other activity trackers if anyone can recommend? Thank You!
  • shoofly435
    Options
    p.s. I'm not really interested in tracking sleep or in a lot of bells and whistles - mainly just trying to figure out calorie burn - seems like BodyMedia has the corner on that?
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    I lost the weight & have maintained for a year with a Fitbit—meaning my Fitbit burn is TDEE.

The only way to gauge the accuracy of any activity tracker is to trust it for several weeks, then reevaluate your progress.
  • shoofly435
    Options
    Thanks @editorgrrl. I'm not new to exercise but *am* new to activity trackers. Glad Fitbit worked out for you and congrats on the maintenance :) I've been reading up on trackers and it's easy to get overwhelmed by the info out there. My S.O. has a Fitbit and he didn't find it reliable for him e.g. it was counting riding in the subway and going up and down in the elevator as "movement". (steps, or whatever)
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    shoofly435 wrote: »
    My S.O. has a Fitbit and he didn't find it reliable for him e.g. it was counting riding in the subway and going up and down in the elevator as "movement". (steps, or whatever)

Don't overthink the step count—it's just a metric. I get "steps" drying my hair, and miss steps pushing a shopping cart. All that matters is an accurate burn.

Log subway riding as "driving."

You can learn more in the Fitbit Users group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/1290-fitbit-users
  • shoofly435
    Options
    @editorgrrl thanks for the info and link.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Hi All - I'm new here and was excited to try the BodyMedia Link but I've been reading that since BodyMedia was acquired by Jawbone it's not being supported anymore? If it's just a matter of replacing the armband part I think I can make it myself. Anyone out there still using BodyMedia and how is it working out? Would you recommend a different tracker? I understand the Jawbone UP3 is supposed to be the replacement, but from what I've read it doesn't track intensity. TIA!

the BMF that you have is the gold standard. use it. it still works perfectly and nothing currently on the market beats it. the lack of support by jawbone is a real thing, but it primarily manifests itself by them refusing to bring a direct successor the the BMF that you currently have to market.
  • FFfitgirl
    FFfitgirl Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I have a bodybugg, like the body media. I find it accurate. If I follow my calories I eat vs burn I do lose
  • shoofly435
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

the BMF that you have is the gold standard. use it. it still works perfectly and nothing currently on the market beats it. the lack of support by jawbone is a real thing, but it primarily manifests itself by them refusing to bring a direct successor the the BMF that you currently have to market.

@DavPul Thank you much for your helpful reply. I don't own a BMF yet but I've done research that indicates it's the gold standard. Only reason I was holding off was the potential (lack of) support issue with Jawbone so I really appreciate you clearing that up! It would be nice if Jawbone came out with "The Next Generation BMF" instead of the UP3 which may be an aesthetic improvement but it definitely doesn't use the same technology.