ANYONE INTERESTED?!? Looking for answers!

Options
13»

Replies

• zaxx1953
    zaxx1953 Posts: 389 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Ok, so I agree we are much more sedentary than we were X yrs ago.

Since we are more sedentary and expend less energy per day, should we be eating more or less of our cals from sources that represent energy.

This isn't a trick question.

Look in a vending machine; ask yourself how much protein/healthy fat is in those products versus cheap, heavily processed carbs. Then you'll see the link.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    zaxx1953 wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    CICO! end of book.

That books been out for 50 yrs now, and we keep having more and more obese people....

The body isn't a simple gasoline engine; the type of fuel matters as does CICO.

Nope. Weight loss boils down to CICO. There are nutritional requirements for protein and fat for a healthy diet, but there is no need to focus on the type of fuel to lose weight.

And there are more and more obese people not because CICO doesn't work, but because people are unable to manage it. Human beings suck at it.

Except 40 yrs ago there was virtually no childhood obesity.

So what happened to make people suddenly suck?

I have a simple question for everyone:

Does insulin affect appetite.

Y or N?

Wait, I thought I saw this exact post a second ago...

Is that a Y or a N?

Or alternatively do you not know.

All 3 answers are fine....just answer.
    No.
    It's my birthday, and I am enjoying some cake vodka. I will not answer the question you seem to think is the be all and end of of questions.

• Cranquistador
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »

@zaxx1953 is on a mission to combat the evil carb empire.

He also doesn't seem willing to answer two very simple questions people have asked him again and again:

1) do people move less today than they did 50 years ago?

2) are high calorie foods more readily available for consumption than they were 50 years ago?

(#2: includes BOTH high FAT and high CARB foods and refers to ubiquitous access to fast food, as well as ready to heat/ready to eat meals, and, not the least, all you can eat restaurants. I can DRIVE out of my drive-way and within a few minutes SIT down to a 4000-5000 Cal meal for less than $10 at lunchtime and less than $15 at dinner-time.)

I don't see carbs having much to do with this. In fact the deep fryer oils add way more calories than the carbs do in many of these situations.

But srsly though, does insulin affect appetite?
  • zaxx1953
    Options
    CICO! end of book.

That books been out for 50 yrs now, and we keep having more and more obese people....

Nope. Weight loss boils down to CICO. There are nutritional requirements for protein and fat for a healthy diet, but there is no need to focus on the type of fuel to lose weight.

And there are more and more obese people not because CICO doesn't work, but because people are unable to manage it. Human beings suck at it.

Y or N?

Is that a Y or a N?

No.
    It's my birthday, and I am enjoying some cake vodka. I will not answer the question you seem to think is the be all and end of of questions.

Ok, you've answered, which I admire.

Excellent, but the only problem is you're FACTUALLY INCORRECT.

Insulin levels, hunger, and food intake: an example of feedback loops in body weight regulation.
    Rodin J.
    Abstract
    The paper reviews studies considering whether hyperinsulinemia, and its resultant effects on adipose tissue mass, can alter perceived hunger, taste, and food consumption. It also describes work addressing the reciprocal question of whether cues associated with food can affect insulin response. Specifically, four general categories of studies are presented. First, studies considering the causes and physiological consequences of chronic hyperinsulinemia are reviewed. Second, work investigating environmental and cognitive influences on insulin secretion are described. These show that high acute levels of insulin can be produced by simply seeing and thinking about food and that individuals showing this response show a greater tendency toward weight gain in a food-abundant environment. Third, studies are covered in which direct manipulations of insulin level, controlling for blood glucose, are performed. These experiments show that elevations in insulin produce increased hunger, heightened perceived pleasantness of sweet taste, and increased food intake. Finally, a study is described that considers how different insulin levels, produced by the type of food ingested, may affect subsequent food intake. Together, these studies show that "overeating" is caused by a complex feedback system of environmental, behavioral, and biological factors.
    PMID: 3894001 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
  • zaxx1953
    Options
    CICO! end of book.

Y or N?

Is that a Y or a N?

No.

Well, it proves SOME FOODS, the ones which spike insulin, WILL MAKE US HUNGRIER AND HUNGRIER as we eat.

So, CICO is true, but besides the point bc WHICH FOODS and when we eat them can effect hunger which of course affects how much we eat, which leads to CI.
  • Cranquistador
    Options
    Lol, my no was a refusal to answer... No admiration pour moi.
  • zaxx1953
    Options

Either way, I have the peer reviewed evidence.....

Insulin largely governs appetites in all of us.

Certain foods affect insulin more than others....

ipso facto, certain types of foods affect our appetite.

Our Appetites obviously and inevitably control to a large degree how much we eat.

I hope you all can do the logic from here.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    CICO! end of book.

Y or N?
    Yes it acutely suppresses your appetite.

http://weightology.net/weightologyweekly/?page_id=319

OP, the problem you will face... these books are already out there.
  • Charliecatesq
    Charliecatesq Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Zaxx1953 seems to be the sort of chap that is fun at parties
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Diet books are marketing products - there is at least a new one published every day. So you need to decide if you are writing this for yourself/family or to make money. Do your research -- look at what sells and why. Writing for an target audience that has no time or money sounds like a losing proposition - no money to buy your book and no time to read it.

If you have a real message to position - think of other possible media - blog, leaflet, vlog, etc...

Anyway, I'm not your target audience - the diet books I read are usually read to be debunked.

Simple cooking and diet book already exist by the dozens - I bought one for my daughter (know on her own) because she wanted a light cookbook.

https://www.google.de/webhp?hl=en#hl=en-DE&q=simple+meals+book
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options

Either way, I have the peer reviewed evidence.....

Insulin largely governs appetites in all of us.

Certain foods affect insulin more than others....

ipso facto, certain types of foods affect our appetite.

Our Appetites obviously and inevitably control to a large degree how much we eat.

I hope you all can do the logic from here.

Derailing this thread off topic is unnecessary. If you want to discuss this, start your own thread.

OP- I think too many of these books already exist and you lack (this isn't a judgment) the credibility to sell it. These days it's celebs and such that are making it big with their fad diets and such. The blog isn't a bad idea, though! If you love to write, consider something more about your own personal experience with your mom maybe - that could be powerful for you, her and maybe someone else struggling.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    CICO! end of book.

Y or N?

Is that a Y or a N?

I'm not really sure what this has to do with the OP….
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about writing a book on how to lose weight even if you have no money and no time.

A lot of it would be based on 10 minute meals, and doing things to achieve results in the easiest possible way. The people I had in mind were people who are overweight, work long hours at their jobs, and don't earn a lot of money. They barely have time to shower and their not interesting in having a pile of dishes in their sink or a ton of prep work to do.

They simply don't have the ENERGY to even DEAL with all the learning and everything it takes to lose weight. They need something that can accommodate for their utter lack of money, time, and energy.

My question is, is anyone even interested in this sort of book?

The books I see topping the charts over at amazon are things like Whole30 and Paleo. And while I definitely think they're great health-wise, that's just too much work for a lot of people, right? I feel like healthy eating and lifestyle is a spectrum, and I want to fill the gap between Fast Food - Whole Foods. Is this something people want? I'm DYING to know what anyone's thoughts are!

Thanks so much,

Rachael

If they have no time to do anything when will they find time to read your book?

sounds jerky but realistically you're just selling the same thing everyone else is selling.... Why not write a book that is geared to help everyone instead of one of the gimmicky quick fix money grabbing books?!?!!
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who suggested a blog or a vlog. There are so many different books out there already and now that everything can be found with a simple google search you would have a really hard time getting your message out.
  • RayRayofSunshine
    RayRayofSunshine Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello again and thank you all for your interesting feedback.

I will definitely put the nutrition facts in the book for anyone who's interested, I know I always am, but it will not be required reading.

Also, I'm not totally sure if a book is the right platform anymore. A blog or a vlog might be better.

I admit, I do want to make money from it and I know there's a lot of bad info out there and it's a saturated market but more than the money I want to help someone - someone who honestly thought they just could not do it.

I've gotten a completely unexpected amount of private messages and friend requests regarding this topic and it felt amazing, and those were just people who think it's a good idea!

I can imagine getting a message from a person who my book genuinely helped who was so happy, I tell you it'd be worth the hours of research and agony that goes into taking on a project like that.

A blogging platform might be better because I love the community aspect.

I totally get what the guy was saying who said when you feel like you need to write, write. Yes! YESSSSSS

I will keep everyone posted on what I choose to do.

Thanks!